Thread: trout beads

Default trout beads

whats your take on them? seen a few people using them down here under floats. anyone use them?

They are used alot up here. There are so many threads on them it is crazy. It is the thing on the upper kenai during the spawn for sure. I have had great success on them in and shapes sizes and colors
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

any size or color that you recommend? i figure colors should be about the same down here on the great lakes. what size hooks do you use to rig them with?

You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Size depends on what you are fishing for and what you are fishing behind. I imagine in the great lakes a lot of the steelbows and browns get up behind the kings, king eggs are probably around 8 mm down there so try 8 mm beads in washed out colors. Just a guess.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

the steel will get behind kings in the fall, but our main fishery happens in the spring. kings have been done for about a month now. im thinking 8mm still may be best though.

Default You asking "do they work?" or something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    whats your take on them? seen a few people using them down here under floats. anyone use them?
    Are you asking, "do they work?"
    They certainly do as many will attest. They work so well, I heard one guy describe fishing with beads on the Kenai as "almost too easy". I've fished with others, and know a local fly shop owner who's done the same -fishing my glo-bugs, flesh flies, etc to their beads .... and they're catching Rainbows 10 to my 1 or worse. I still try other flies, and prefer using a bead attractor instead of bead only, but there's no real debate in my mind about whether beads catch fish here. Fish are fooled by beads during salmon spawning, better than anything else.

If you mean something else, well the discussion might open up a bit .
    Good luck.

Default perfect

if they have been done for a month use a really milked out 8mm orange... or even a milked out 8mm dark roe....
    Go Fish

any size or color that you recommend?
    Chuck sold me some 20 mm baby shet green ones to use on the Upper Kenai in Sept. I didn't catch any fish in the 9 days I was there, but he said my presentation was off. Perhaps the 1/0 hook was slowing the rig down to much. I could never get a straight answer. But Chuck was great about it and all. He just laughed and smiled the whole time. He really knows how to make us out of staters feel welcome
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Probably the best selection and bead quality can be found here:

http://www.troutbeads.com/Products.html

There is also a good page on rigging your bead.

Give them a try Adam, you will be amazed.

One thing we have learned is not to get the bare hook too far down below the bead - If you do, we found there allot more foul hooked fish.

Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Chuck sold me some 20 mm baby shet green ones to use on the Upper Kenai in Sept. I didn't catch any fish in the 9 days I was there, but he said my presentation was off. Perhaps the 1/0 hook was slowing the rig down to much. I could never get a straight answer. But Chuck was great about it and all. He just laughed and smiled the whole time. He really knows how to make us out of staters feel welcome

I slayed the fish on the same bead so I dont know what dans problem was I do think it was the presentation. His wife had no issues gripping and ripping fish on it. then again. when dan went to the dark side AKA centerpin *^&*^*.. he did ok on the same bead. Its not the bead it is the beadeeee. LOL fun post dan.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I slayed the fish on the same bead so I dont know what dans problem was .

I will sell them back to you when I see you this summer
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.