Thread: Is it too late for 2010 for me??

Default Is it too late for 2010 for me??

I'm new to the whole dipnetting thing and want to do it right. I'm still a bit confused as to the process for applying. I'd like to do salmon on the Kasilof and Kenai, and hooligan and herring around the same loactions. I have lived here over one year as of this September.
    What are the steps? Let me know if it would be easier if I contacted fish and game on this one. I just didn't want to wait on hold and do the prompts thing.

Mountaintrekker

If your a resident you will be good to go next year.

This site will tell you almost everything you need to know for next season.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...lUse/index.cfm

Default Good advice...

by aktally - to check ADF&G sources personally. Rules differ on different streams, on different parts of the same stream, or at different times. My experiences with fish/wildlife officers have been good ones - their behavior was professional and courteous both times, but the phrases "real funny guy", or "laid back", etc did not come to mind. Still don't. I have seen them walking the dipnetting beach at Kenai. I'd like to keep any future conversations with our wildlife troopers short and friendly. The only way to be sure is to verify understanding and compliance with the regulations before heading out.

I keep a set of regs at my desk and in my camper. Just from looking stuff up, you'll become familiar with the regs. Who knows? Sometime you might help someone else avoid a misunderstanding too. Good luck!

Your "too late" comment seems like you're wondering if there is something you need to apply for ahead of time like the drawing permits for hunting. There is not. For hooligan in the spring, all you need is a sport fishing license. I understand that the Kenai gets a mess of hooligan, though I've never given that a shot. For salmon on the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers, you'll need to pick up a dipnetting permit. The permit is free, and can be obtained in early July from most license vendors or from a F&G office. You'll record your daily catch on the permit and then return it at the end of the season. No worries - you haven't missed any deadlines and will have no legal reason that you can't join the fray next summer.

Default keep the "windows" in mind

Windows are a really bad secret to dipnetters cause they allow more fish to enter the rivers, en mass. These are set times when commercial fishing is not allowed. If you wait till almost 24 hours after a window, you certainly should have better luck. It seems to me like it takes three tides, after a window, for the fish to load up the beaches. Any other questions you have, PM me and I'll do my best to answer them. Also go to www.alaskadipnetting.com. But then again, Im a little biased!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks a lot folks! Wow there are some confused people out there! The reason I asked is some guys around here were giving off the wall "advice" and times for runs and permits required and fees etc. I just wanted to cross my T's and dot the i's respectfully.
    I and my family thank you for helping to fill the freezer this coming year.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I'm new to the whole dipnetting thing and want to do it right. I'm still a bit confused as to the process for applying. I'd like to do salmon on the Kasilof and Kenai, and hooligan and herring around the same loactions. I have lived here over one year as of this September.
    What are the steps? Let me know if it would be easier if I contacted fish and game on this one. I just didn't want to wait on hold and do the prompts thing.

Mountaintrekker
    Although this is irrelevant to your inquiries, a dipnetter residing in Homer, should look into hitting China Poot. It really defines "big things come in little packages."

Chilly

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post

Mountaintrekker
    another historic and traditional user they'll be coming out of the woodwork.
    Hello federal management of our resources, i'll be back i need some Tums

Nice contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    another historic and traditional user they'll be coming out of the woodwork.
    Personal use is not dependent on traditional and customary use by law. As an Alaskan resident, he has every right to participate in a personal use fishery.

Default Brian M is right.

Heck, we even let Brian participate and he is a comfisher to boot Go figure?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Personal use is not dependent on traditional and customary use by law. As an Alaskan resident, he has every right to participate in a personal use fishery.
    I know these things Brian. Now that the BOF subsistence debacle is over its a moot point. No offense mountaintrekker I was being facetious, cause thats how the Chitna dippers assn rolls

Mountaintrekker,

Your original post stating "this September" was posted in December of 2009. When did you arrive in Alaska? September 2008 or 2009?

September 2008.

Default Mttrecker

You are good to go.Good luck and keep an eye out prior to dipnetting, here on this forum. We will be posting comfish's telephone hotline number prior to the fishery. This lets you keep up on escapement, windows, EO's for the commercial fishery, etc. Information that is priceless prior to heading down to dip.

Yep you are in the clear - need to be in-state for 12 months before you're able to apply for a resident license/etc.

Good luck and have fun!