Thread: Wood River-Fairbanks Area

Default Wood River-Fairbanks Area

I'm new to float hunting,,, I read Mikes book about 4 times...Have chosen the wood river for a 2010 hunt with my son, and brother...Fly in with wright air at the Kansas ck. float to the Japan hills...I understand we will have company and that"s ok....I have topo maps and aerial maps but would like some personal experience help...maybe some tech river stuff,,,ie classification,videos,, hazards,pictures,conditions, and so forth..We will be running a 16ft Aire cat,(Thanks Mike for the advice),and a Pro-pioneer,(My sons choice of boat).We will only have two moose tags,as one of us will just be a boat person.I would be willing to call someone and chat if anyone cares to do that....I would like this to be a memorable time for my son in particular as it will be his graduation present...any takers???

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

This will piggyback just for your info. but..How badly was the Wood river area effected by the fire? Those of you that hunted it should chime in, I don' think I've seen too much info on this.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thumbs up

Hey TWB,,,
    According to the biologist the fire was not in the area we will be in....hope to see you on the river,,,I'll help ya get that new Boone/Crockett out to your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Rackum View Post
    Hey TWB,,,
    According to the biologist the fire was not in the area we will be in....hope to see you on the river,,,I'll help ya get that new Boone/Crockett out to your boat
    I won't be on the Wood River this year but I will be floatin a river somewhere for them. Seems harvest from the Wood River was pretty good this past season, though.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What is the normal drop off point for a Wood River float?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    What is the normal drop off point for a Wood River float?

oh thats easy....

up stream from where you end..................DUH!

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh thats easy....

up stream from where you end..................DUH!

That does usually help, but I have heard of really hardcore guys paddling upstream before they start to float! Just to get the extra mileage in of course.

Default Just Pass

Vince's Spot is my normal put in point or was that just to the left? Um!

The main option is K- Air Strip there is another up by C- Creek.

There are couple below K- Stip all made for reasons the also add to the crowding.

Most people take out at P-Strip / Landing.

I know way cool way of not saying places eh! There on the map.

:-)

Hey BlueMoose,,,,have you floated this river before?

Default Yes

Maybe? Sorta? Kinda?

I'll shoot you a PM

Default lol

me and a buddy made the mistake of running upriver with a zodiac one year on the wood, water was shallow and 55-60 river miles. took us 3 days and ground off about 1/2" off my prop but we did see more than a few moose...

everyone floating past sure was amazed to see us...

ok BlueMoose, now you've got another excuse to call me crazy!

You must have started from the lower end to be running a motor....All that grinding noise must have hurt those fishes ears??? I'm looking at some property up by the REX Trail...How close did you get to there???

Default long forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rackum View Post
    You must have started from the lower end to be running a motor....All that grinding noise must have hurt those fishes ears??? I'm looking at some property up by the REX Trail...How close did you get to there???
    was a few years ago, i'll look tonight and get back with you... still have the tracks from gps on home computer. all i really remember was the disbelief on everyone's faces, lol

if i was ever to do it again i think i'd just spend the money and get a small 14-16' flat bottom john boat (or bateau as we used to call them) and a go devil motor.

Default Yep your crazy

But in a fun way and you ain't afraid which is half the battle. I will call you brave from now on not crazy.

P.S.

In some places it means the same thing.

:-)

You should post your video again