Thread: non resident bow hunter

Default non resident bow hunter

A friend would like to come and bow hunt in an area resticted to bow only, his state of record does not require bow certification, can he legally hunt in AK in a bow only hunt? If not how would he gain certification prior to comming to AK? thanks

No, he would not be allowed to hunt. He needs to get a IBEF card from somewhere before he's allowed to hunt in an archery only place in Alaska. What state is he from?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Any state sponsered course will do..doesnt need to be ibep or nbef sanctioned.

If not and he has the time, if he planned it right he could do it here...do the AK course online, take the class and shooting portion (1 day now).

Say TradBow, how and where do you complete the AK bow course on line?

Quote Originally Posted by ESB View Post
    A friend would like to come and bow hunt in an area resticted to bow only, his state of record does not require bow certification, can he legally hunt in AK in a bow only hunt? If not how would he gain certification prior to comming to AK? thanks

If it's a bow only hunt he's required to have his certification. But, it's through the IBEP. Which, hence the "I" standing for International. So the card qualifies you (certificate-wise) to hunt anywhere internationally that requires this certification. So even if you live somewhere that does not require a cert to bowhunt but you travel to hunt, it is a wise investment of time and money (and requires little of both). You should be able to find the info you need for classes online. International Bowhunters Education Program is what IBEP stands for.

P.S. Even if another certification will do (like state certs) I would think about future hunts and if there would be further certs necessary. If time allows, I would go for one of the International or Federal Certs so as to cover as much territory as possible so the next time you will be set to go. Just my opinion- which is like...... well you know
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

South Dakota

It's not a AK course as Hoytgirl pointed out it is internationally standardized, in fact IBEP certification is accepted just about everywhere that has a bow hunt world wide. A quick google search will give you the "online" options, I know a guy who did his through the california dept of fish and game. You still have to take the shoot portion in person, either here or in one of the multiple states that offer it.

Tradbow
    Dept of F&G said no go when I pointed out the Michigan hunters safety class has a extensive archery section. Former Michigan hunters safety instructor myself.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Ibep

ESB, I am going to take the IBEP class in March of 2010 in Michigan. If you do a search of IBEP it will give you the states and classes available. My state doesn't require certification of bow hunters either but I want to bow hunt in AK so I am going to take it here. And as Rick and Hoytgirl stated it is recognized worldwide and I expect to learn from it also. Never can learn too much or have too many guns. Holler if you need a hand.

If your comming up to bowhunt I'm in!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick,

you're right, a basic hunter ed that includes bowhunting, WILL NOT work. It needs to be a bowhunter education class..that you get a bowhunter education card, just like we get here. It DOES NOT need to be IBEP or NBEF sanctioned class. But it DOES need to be a specific bowhunter ed class of some kind (state sponsered).

SD,

When you sing up for the class...they will give you the info. I would assume if you planned it out of state and called adfg directly then can pass this info to you.

sorry my typing is terrible tonight shew...almost embarassingly so haha....

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info. My friend would be travelling from Utah so I will pass all this info on to him. From the sounds of it, it looks like there are plenty of opporunities for him to get certified. thanks again

Utah does offer bowhunter education. He has plenty of time to get it done.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/huntereducation/options.php
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Cert card requirements

Make sure that your archery cert card has either IBEP or NBEF of it somewhere or it is not legal here in AK. I am unaware of any state that offers a bowhunter certification course that is not associated to the IBEP program.

The International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) is a program designed and administered by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) to train bowhunters throughout North America and internationally.

Default IN?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    If your comming up to bowhunt I'm in!
    Rick, a friend I met on the black bear boat ride in June of 08 invited me and my nephew to hunt with him for caribou on the haul road. Pretty interested so am going to take the class and see if things work out. Are you into caribou with bow?