Thread: early 90's king quad brakes, how to ?

Default early 90's king quad brakes, how to ?

Hello, I just bought a old KQ for my daughter and all the brakes are shot. I imagine its mostly cable problems. the master cylinder is useing oil also. can anyone tell me where to start ? does anyone have a repair manual to sell me or borrow ? anyone know a place to take it and not be ripped off ?

Default Lousy brakes anyway

I got one of those too. If your master cylinder is loosing fluid first check the connections, if they are all good it's most likely the wheel cylinder- front right side sitting on the machine. This machine has a hydraulic drum brake (one only) which fades after going through water anyway. As for the brake on the rear wheel, it is on the right side also and is not hydraulically controlled. It is cable controlled and is mostly used as a parking brake. For repair new brake shoes are available (aftermarket or OEM)and the seals for the drums are available from the OEM also. I have changed mine twice now (it's a 95) and it is not a hard job. Seals on the drums are costly though, last time I just cleaned them up and lightly greased them and they have worked just as good as the new ones I bought the first time.

Brakes on the king quads are definitely not the best design. Have rebuilt mine numerous times. Have never managed to actually seal the rear drum, so that water doesnt get in, even with all new seals and applying thing film of grease. I finally notched out the bottom of the back plates so that water would drain out rather than sit in the drum and rust causing the brakes to lock up tight and creating the potential to snap axles.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Default When I owned one..

I just took the brakes out and used the gears. Those brakes are a waste of money to try fixing. You have to work on them all the time. The gears will stop you!

Unfortunately, I agree with Northway. I've spent alot of time screwing with brakes on my two KQ's. I finally gave up and just use the gearing...its not like Im climbing mountains or racing with it...its a work machine...makes training my dog team a little harder though

For a kid's machine though, I would invest the time and $ to fix it. Kids are too valuable to screw up....

Well.... Hi... All Guys. Iam also facing a problem with king quad but not similar to the discssion going on here. I have my Kingquad at our vacation home and only ride it every month or so. Everytime I go to use it, the battery is dead. The dealer claims that it is a problem on the 06' models and has no clue how to fix it. He claims Suzuki is aware of this problem, which is supposed to be "dashboard related". I guees the speedometer etc. is SLOWLY draining the battery and nobody knows how to fix this.....Anybody run into this and fix it? I am now running a battery tender and seems to be OK, but a bit of a hassel. Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------------
    buy motorcycle brake parts

Quote Originally Posted by bradgarbiel View Post
    Well.... Hi... All Guys. Iam also facing a problem with king quad but not similar to the discssion going on here. I have my Kingquad at our vacation home and only ride it every month or so. Everytime I go to use it, the battery is dead. The dealer claims that it is a problem on the 06' models and has no clue how to fix it. He claims Suzuki is aware of this problem, which is supposed to be "dashboard related". I guees the speedometer etc. is SLOWLY draining the battery and nobody knows how to fix this.....Anybody run into this and fix it? I am now running a battery tender and seems to be OK, but a bit of a hassel. Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------------
    buy motorcycle brake parts

Easiest fix in the world. Just disconnect the negative battery terminal when you are done riding it.
    Tennessee

Default brakes

+1 to what thelast2 said.

The easy fix is as Snowwolfe says, just disconnect one terminal of the battery. The real fix is to trace down where the draw is. My guess is that it is in the charging system as that's the only system that the key doesn't turn off. The charging coils put out ac current which is rectified to dc through a series of one way electrical valves ( diodes or a selenium rectifier). Some times one of these units can back feed and slowly drain a battery. To find this type of drain, disconnect a battery cable and connect a milli amp gauge between the cable and the batt post. This will show how much drain you have (with key off ). Now you start disconnecting different systems until the drain stops and you have located the drain. If you show no drain with a milliamp guage you may have a battery that has a minor internal short and is draining itself internally. Disconnecting the cable while gone is the easiest fix unless it's an internal batt drain.