Thread: Trucl Bedliner on a New SS 45-70 GG

Default Trucl Bedliner on a New SS 45-70 GG

I am Wanting to Use truck Bedliner and Turn this into a Beauty,Never done anything like this before and need a Little info on How to Spray on Truck Bedliner to my Stock and Forend of a Stainless Guide Gun,Without Making a Mess of it,What are the Steps i have to take to Do-It Right,Gun is Brand new ,Do i need to Sand the Stock?How Many Coats of Liner?and do i use something to Seal it on?Any Help would be Greatly appreciated,Thanks GrizzlyMan1980

Bedliner? Thats going to add weight. Chances are you may not be happy with the outcome. I know a guy who herculined an old .300 and it turned out looking like crap.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Go over to marlinowners.com on their forums. There are several guys that have done it and I believe there are instructions posted.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default herculiner

I've herculined three of my rifle stocks and everyone who see's them gives me a complement. They are vey durable and will not slip at all in your hands. You can rest directly on rocks without any damage.

It is a roll on that I got at napa so you dont have to worry about spraying. I bet it would stick to the factory finish with no alterations at all, but I would sand it with course paper 60 or less. Whipe down with Alcohol on a rag to get rid of grease and dust (rubbing alcohol, don't waste the good stuff).

Take off stocks and tape the areas where they come into contact with the metal and over the recoil pad. roll it on with a small trim roller. I also use one of those sponge on a stick things to dab into areas that cannot be rolled. You can sand down high spots after it dries and cures for a couple days.

When you remove the tape you will have to run a utility knife along the tape line to cut it. You can always dab more on with a Q tip in spots that need it. Also remove the sling swivel studs and cut off the end of a Q tip and put it in the holes.

Already bought the Spray on Bedliner,Actually in the midst of tesitng it on some wood in the basement,I am a Member of Marlinowners,and just a little nervous,I have heard to use from 60 grit to 120 grit sandpaper,Does it really matter?And How many layers of Liner?Just did one on a Piece of Wood and it seems thick?ThanksGrizzlyMan1980

Grizzly,
    Most cold urethane based truck bedliners are sprayed with a drywall gun, adjusting the psi on the compressor can/will control the spray pattern as well. I would look for a decent 2 part bedliner that is urethane or epoxy based such as Rustoleom road warrior.... Lowes usually carriers it. You will need to rough up the pre existing coat on stock and foreend then properly clean it.
    This is what it will look like when sprayed out of drywall gun at about 40psi.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 79FSJ View Post
    Grizzly,
    Most cold urethane based truck bedliners are sprayed with a drywall gun, adjusting the psi on the compressor can/will control the spray pattern as well. I would look for a decent 2 part bedliner that is urethane or epoxy based such as Rustoleom road warrior.... Lowes usually carriers it. You will need to rough up the pre existing coat on stock and foreend then properly clean it.
    This is what it will look like when sprayed out of drywall gun at about 40psi.

Larry
    Larry,

Don't post pics of the duckboat unless it's a finished product.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks Everybody,What about Duplicolour Talked to the guy down at Napa Auto Parts,He told me to use it,Its twice as expensive as the Stuff i bought,Would it be better?Higher Quality?The wood in the basement seems to look alright after 1 coat,and i didnt even sand it,However i can scrape it off to bare wood,I take that as, i didnt sand it prior and only used 1 coat,I Believe Duplicolour it is after giving it a Pretty Good sanding,Rub down with some alchol and a Pat dry,Time to Spray!!

grizzly,
    Anything that is sprayed directly from a can wont work that good. There is really no hardening agent in them. Doesnt matter how good of prep work you do. Unless you get a two part liner with a hardening agent such as urethane/polyurethane or epoxy it will scrape right up.

you can buy touch-up spray cans of bed linner. Goes on easy and a few thinner coats are better than over spraying in one coat. You can spray on clear to protect it some. Chips in the paint are a pain and deep.

For plastics/fiberglass I like to use Krylon fusion as a base to the Duplicolor bed liner...works alot better than direct application.

Default Spray on results...

Danattherock might have posted his results on AOD - If not, then over on marlinowners.com. He had useful tips for me and the result was fine - in appearance at least.

Try these:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=36822
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,53128.0.html

Mine did fine on a flyout float this summer, but we'll see how it holds up in the long run. Dan made a point about several thin coats better than thick coats too.

Looks good.Many put on so much paint you can't see the checkering