Thread: Sizing An Unknown Chamber?

Default Sizing An Unknown Chamber?

Just received my Winchester m54, it was sold to me as a 22/250, but a 22/250 shell won't chamber. It has an aftermarket barrel with no markings at all. The bore does look like it is .22. What would be the procedure for sizing the chamber? Can a gunsmith do this by a process of elimination, or is the barrel going to have to be removed and a casting be done? In witch case, it may actually be cheaper to buy and install a new barrel. Especially since it may be in a calibur that doesn't interest me.
    Thank You For Your Time

Default Give you $10 for it

sight unseen. I trust you. Honest. I'll save you the time and effort.
    You home evenings? I'll call and try to get up there PDQ.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    Just received my Winchester m54, it was sold to me as a 22/250, but a 22/250 shell won't chamber. It has an aftermarket barrel with no markings at all. The bore does look like it is .22. What would be the procedure for sizing the chamber? Can a gunsmith do this by a process of elimination, or is the barrel going to have to be removed and a casting be done? In witch case, it may actually be cheaper to buy and install a new barrel. Especially since it may be in a calibur that doesn't interest me.
    Thank You For Your Time
    Chamber casting is cheap and easy, should not cost more than $50 or so.

You bought a 22-250 and the bore looks to be 22, how could it not be a "calibur" you are interested in?

Default Cerrosafe chamber casting

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Give a post if you're in Fairbanks and we'll get it done. Have cerrosafe on hand. Have cast many chambers.

Default Sizing Results

I took it to Arctic, $45.........turned out to actually be 22/250 "calibur" with tighter tolerances than the Rem 40X chamber that cycles and shoots em just fine......Probably about time to toss this batch of older brass anyhoo....THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME/ADVICE........

Default my offer still stands

Hmm? Interested? Hate to see you end up with a problem. I am willing to do a brother a favor. I have been thinking about building up a stable of .22-250 rifles. I've got 2. This one would fit. ok. $20?????