Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big game scopes

Default Big game scopes

Just looking for some insight on an all around scope that does not require financing. I have always had leupolds and will probably by another.

Leupolds are always a great choice but if you are int he market for a 3x9 I would highly recommend the Zeiss. I think most online dealers carry them for $399.
    Tennessee

i've seen alot of scopes as a guide and some will disagree, and i'm a firm beliver that everyones eyes see things a little different thru optics so its important to go with what works for you, but i'm a luey guy. i know they have a new line of scopes thats very affordable and still backed by their warrenty.

Smile Scope options

Hey bud, I'm new to this forum. This is my very first response so take it easy on me. I own 2 Bushnell Elite 3200's. They are great! I live in a small town in Tennessee and use them on my rifles for deer hunting. They won't break the bank either! I just can't see spending more on a scope than what your rifle costs. My old tired eyes can't tell that big of a difference in those $1,300.00 scopes versus those $130.00 to $500.00 scopes anyway, so why should I pay that much for one? Just my 2 cents. Have a great day or evening or whatever it is up there in Alaska.

Default Look at Bushnell

Check out the Bushnell Elite 4200. It's about the same price as a Vari X III. I've shot Leupolds (thousands of rounds a year) for about 15 years. They can be very good. On my last two rifles, though, I've put Bushnell Elite 4200s. One great thing about the Elite 4200 is that it comes with Rainguard, a permanent proprietary coating which makes the rain/fog on your lenses bead up into microscopic particles. How many times have you accidentally exhaled on your scope? I've done it, and cussed out loud, about a zillion times. It's no big deal if you've got Rainguard on your scope. (And no, CatCrap or spit doesn't quite cut it for fog proofing!) And the Elite 4200 is just about indestructable. Rather than the aluminum tube on nearly all other scopes, the Elite 4200s have a one piece aluminum/titanium alloy tube that is much tougher. I love both of my Bushnells, and have taken them from Dillingham to Kotzebue. With the last scope I bought (for my .375 H&H), I took a hard look at a Zeiss Conquest, but opted for another Bushnell Elite 4200 because I love the Bushnell I put on my .308. If you're hunting in Alaska, you're going to be getting your scope wet or foggy or both. Good luck.
    PS - don't let someone tell you to buy a Leupold because of their warranty. Do you want glass you can rely on, or glass that can get repaired easily? As you probably know, many folks are very passionate about their scopes and their brand loyalty!

I have a Leupold and a Burris, both are 3x9-40. I know Leupold has the reputation as a great scope and it is but I picked up the Burris for $225 and it came with a pair of 8x32 glasses. I really think the Burris is just a little better in low light situations. They both are really sharp and crisp but for the money I would have to go with the Burris.

Default Alaka scopes

I have lived and hunted in Alaska since 1984. I have hunted in all weather and temperatures, and all over this state. I have yet to find a better scope for my .338 or .375 H&H Magmum rifles than my Leupold Vari-X II's. I bought a Vari-X III for one of my .280's, but the difference between it and my Vari-XII's or Burris scopes are not worth the expense. I have yet to have a Leupold or Burris scope fog on me in any weather or climate, or shift zero after dropped or from travel, as I have had happen with Bushnell, Simmons, Weaver and Redfield scopes. I have had buddy whose Bushnell Elite 4200 fogged to the point of useless on a brown bear hunt last year. Luckily, he had it on a gun with open sights, so his hunt wasn't ruined. With it's good reputation, we were shocked.
    On my Contenders and Encore handguns, I have Leupold, Burris, and Simmons handgun scopes attached on barrels from .22LR to .45-70 Government. The Simmons are 2-7X varibles, and I have not had any problems here. One is on my .223 Remington 14 inch Contender I use for coyotes, fox and wolves. I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through this barrel with this scope, and the zero is as true as it was the day I mounted it. I use this in the Interior in temperatures well below zero, and it never fails me. I set it at 4X when the temperatures are this cold, and don't try to adjust it.
    Bottom line is the most expensive aren't necessarily the best value. Someone already mentioned it, but Zeiss has an outstanding scope roughly the same price as a Leupold Vari-X III, and Zeiss is undeniably one of the best scopes available.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Burris

Burris scopes are good they are comparible to the more expensive scopes.
    I own Burris and Nikon.

Default the shepherd!

Go with the shepherd scope! check out the following link.. (www.shepherdscopes.com)

Default Things to think about

Most manufacturers have a wide range of scopes. Leupold has the cheap Rifleman scopes, up to the Mark 4, for about $1400.00. While they both say Leupold on 'em, they aren't comparable scopes. Instead of picking a brand name, then finding one with that name on it in your price range, it'd probably be wiser to figure out your price range and compare several different brands. As a general rule (only my opinion, based on my experience), the decent scopes start around $200 or so, although I do have a Bushnell Banner I got as an interim scope that I like a lot better than the one Leupold VX-2 I had.

I think the best value for the money these days are the Burris FF2 and Sightron S2. For the "good scope that doesn't require financing", I'd take a look at those.

I'm sure there are some others in that price range that are as good, but I don't have experience with them.

I can't speak much for the new Leupolds. I have several older Vari-X II and III, that I doubt I'll ever get rid of. I did get a VX-2, 4-12; it was garbage. all the adjustments were sloppy, optics blurry, and the AO ring rattled...brand new! I sent it back to Midway and got a Burris FF2 4.5-14--Great scope! Some of the Burris FF2s are now made in the Philippines; I have no idea if those are as high quality as the US-made ones.

I'm sure the VX-2 I got was just one that slipped through the QC folks, as I've never heard anyone else complain about their quality. My one experience with Leupold's customer service a few years back: I had an old Vari-X III with a scratched lens and scratches on the tube. It didn't seem to hold POI. I sent it to Leupold and asked it they could take a look to see if there was anything wrong inside, and asked how much it'd be to polish the lens and refinish the tube. I never got a replyto these questions

However, about 3 weeks later, I got a brand new Vari-X III in the mail (they were going for $460 at the time). They definitely stood behind their product.

Default You cant be cheap when it comes to scopes

Money=quality when it comes to scopes.I would go for a Ziess or Swarovski in the 3x9 range

Default Zeiss Conquest

I'm a big fan of my Zeiss Conquest. I think its the best scope out there for the money.

The Burris have better glass than you'll find in a Leo at the same price, but I have concerns about there durability in the field. Example: a freind and his father both returned thiers in the first 6-8 months because of fogging, blurring, etc. Burris did stand by their product though.

Don't think you have to buy a Leupold because of their warranty. Nearly every reputable scope manufacturer out there now backs their scopes with a lifetime warranty.

Default Leupold

Make sure you take a look at all aspects of the scope. I have come to the conclusion that nothing beats the Leupold VXIII when you balance price, weight, eye relief, dependability, image quality, ability to hold zero, service, and warranty. There are scopes that are better in one category or another, but to me the VXIII is the best overall.

I bought my NCStar 6-24X50mm scope for $135 off Ebay and have had ZERO problems with it. The optics are clear, it appears very tough (2 years on a 300RUM) and it has 11 brightness settings for the lighted target reticle (which is legal).

Bad thing is no warranty or repair service....but I havent need them anyway.

I bought a Zeiss 3x9 with 50mm recently, I haven't got to shoot it yet, **** scope bases. But the clarity I see from it just looking thru it in the driveway is great. I would suggest Zeiss to anyone.

The website www.samplelist.com is also a great place to get scopes, they come refurbished, but still carry all the factory warrentys so its like buying a new scope if you get a leupold or ziess that have lifetime trasnferable warrentys. So you can get alot more scope for the money you have.

Default Zeiss

Zeiss Conquest 3X9, then a Leupy.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the input I will most likely stick to what I know- Leupold.

Default scopes

I would first look at the the zeiss conquest line. i owned one of their 3-9x and then bought the 3.5-10x44mm and have hunted with it for 9 years now and it has been great. good value for the money.

next choice would be the loopy.

Default My 2 cents

You can't go wrong with a Leupold or Zeiss, but a cheaper alternative is a Sightron. I've hunted with them in Montana for years and never had a problem. Not as well known, but you can get one for $200. I'm bringing both with me when I move to Anchorage in Aug 08. I will be upgrading to a bigger caliber than my 30-06 though. Good luck!

Sam

I have a Christensen 300 ultra w/o a brake, very light stock and talley ultralight rings...bought a 7 pound ready to hunt setup, here is what I have learned on this rig;

rings are critical to a solid rifle, I have broke em' all on this one...leup's, burris, milletts, redfields...but not the talleys

scopes that did not take the recoil; nikon monarch, leupold m6,

scopes that have taken the recoil; leupold mark 4m3 (too heavy and too much to futz with) bushnell 4200 very good value for the $$$, and now a swaro 4-12X50 w/tds....this scope is light as a feather and has taken quite a few rounds, it is optically very close to the 4200 but excells at top power, the 4200 is a 2.5-10, very clear to 8.5 or so.

I have another ultralight 300 that has a 4200 on it and it has yet to dissappoint me. as for the 4200 that was fogged, well I have 4 4200's and use them a bunch and have never had a problem yet.....a bit heavy, and it does say bushnell on it, but aside from that I feel they are the best bang for the buck.

my favorite rifle is a 270win in rem titanium and it wears a 2.5-10 4200 and it has well over 100 days in the field and never a hickup.

I think any of the brands you have mentioned will treat you well, but what ever you do, buy good rings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast