Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh !! I'm in trouble.

Default Uh Oh !! I'm in trouble.

My wife placed into my trusting care our two year old little boy while she does other things around the house. So over the last couple of days to keep him busy I popped in some of my training DVD's. He gets really into it. Laughing at the dogs running on the screen and pointing and showing me that there are doggies on the TV. He already follows me around the house and has watched me numerous occasions training.
    So then he starts learning the commands. SIT, HERE, FETCH. You know all the good ones. Repeating it loudly with authority. Then he started immitating a whistle and even casting saying BACK. It was a proud moment for me.
    Well....one day my wife picked him up from day care. It seemed that my son decided to do some training on his own. But his day care buddies were the recipients. The day care provider wanted to know what was going on and why was he repeating those specific words so loudly. I was laughing so hard. But my wife wasn't. She wanted to know why I didn't put in a cartoon for him to watch like a normal person. She said we have to be careful that we put in something educational. I said that I thought it was educational....besides what is educational about a green dude named Shrek. She still wasn't laughing.

Thumbs up keep it up

He'll be in a better world with dogs than with cartoon characters.

Default tooooooo funny

Your wife needs to, with respect, always with respect when talking about somebody's wife, take a chill pill. This is a perfect example of a child emulating a parent. And I'd much rather the child do that than try to emulate that big fat purple fuzz ball, if he/it is still around.
    You ever think about how many kids in America are fat, and then look at kids fuzzy wuzzy feel good cartoons and the lead characters? Not many of them appear to be in shape.
    I think you should get video of your son play acting dog training. It will be huge funny about the time he graduates or gets married.
    These are great days for a dad and his son. You have so many chances in front of you to do so many cool things. You get to share part of your life, and in this instance, dog training, that will be positive memories for him.
    Great story. Very nice.
    My son used to make my wife play "sheep hunting". "Come on mommy, I want to boom you." "Be a sheep". "BOOM". "Play dead mommy".
    Good luck, and may you enjoy every day as a parent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL our nearly two year old is the same way with CRUCRU... her chessy.. and my wife? well i can sympathize... they have no sense of humor regarding "our educational influences" of the little one. i have no idear why though... the other three are turning out okay She says they are just like me..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default It's ok to stay in trouble like that

Just give your boy a wink and a high five between the two of you. You're both doing it right.

Default someday it will payoff

And your wife will realize it. When she sees that you and your boy have somethng in common, something you love to do together, she will be proud.
    I never knew a dad and a boy that ended up having Barney or Big Bird in common once the boy grew up.
    Years back, during retriever club meetings, one of the members brought their kids. One of them, the youngest boy, would "retrieve" for her during the meeting. We'd be talking and she'd be throwing a sock bumper and he'd go get it and bring it back, in his mouth no less. I think she was prouder of that than her Chessie!
    Maybe by age 4 your son will run a dog in his first competitive event. Would not be the worst thing he could do.

training videos or those wierdo Teletubbies?....I think you made the right call...it is usually fishing or jet boating videos for my little guys..

perhaps you can send your son over to my house to give me a little dog training tutelage...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks for the input. You guys are awesome !! LOL
    Today he helped me FF some dogs. He just watched at first. But then wanted to participate. He was grabbing dowels, bumpers and some rollers I was using. He was throwing them on the floor and saying FETCH. A couple of the dogs even did so. When they didn't he would grab them by the scruff and say "Come on" while pulling them to what he had on the floor. I"ll have to explain to him that he can't use a begging and asking tone of voice.
    So my next problem is. If he can't watch training videos is it going to be worse if he learns from me.
    I'm going to be in real trouble if my wife sees him try this on the cat tonight when she gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    I'm going to be in real trouble if my wife sees him try this on the cat tonight when she gets home.
    An FF cat? That would be something to see.

Last time I tried it a cat didn't like the ear pinch.

You know what we called cats in Nevada when I was a kid?

Coyote bait.

Default I got the same problem!!!

So I have one Lab and one spaniel. The spaniel is the master dog, and the lab has only made it too junoir level. but I still train them alot. My little guy (22months) LOVES playing with the dog. and does the same thing. The one command he has down is SIT. Hes figured that out as the dogs can run faster than him.......the funny thing is they listen to him!!! the 29lb little kid has total control over the 90lb lab.!!! I love it!! "SIT" ....he catches up to them...."FETCH!" They all take-off again.....too cool

To add to this thread, my Cat didn't need to be FF, that crazy cat will chase and retrive a tennis ball no problem!! the cat and the spaniel are the same age, I got them at about the same time, so when i was training the spaniel, the cat wanted in too. Next thing I know the cat is bringing the tennis ball back!!!! The spaniel has figured out one thing......cats don't like water!!! The spaniel has been know to "put" the cat in the water, it is hilarious!!

Anyway, back to the kids, Keep it up, who else is going to keep up this crazy hobby of ours!!

Default TBlooma

Get movies of that spaniel and Cat. And the kid and dogs. Way funny. OMG you guys got me laughing till my gut aches.
    We might not get the clothes just right. We might mix and match the plaids and stripes. We might miss the pinks and greens. But by golly dads have fun with the kids. And who the heck cares if a kid wear ketsup all day long on his chin and shirt? As long as he is safe, and warm, and loved, and has a dog to chase, what does the rest matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    and has a dog to chase
    Well he actually chases the cat. On cue ... from me ... of course. LOL
    "Go get Minnie" and away he goes. Running through the house until he finds her. Then chases her about until she finds a place to hide. My wife..again isn't thrilled about that. What the heck. Stupid cat thinks she's a dog anyway. First cat I have ever seen that will eat out of the same bowl as the dog....while the dog is eating !!! This is the same cat that will walk along the top of the fence of the dog yard. Sits there pruning herself while the dogs try to get her. Laughing at them as the poor dogs hit the electrified part of the fence. My wife won't let me throw a rock at her when she is doing that so to compromise I let my two year old chase her. LOL
    What circus antics are going to develop next? HMMMM

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well ours is dong it too... Mommy's little girl was getting into things ( 20 mo old) as mommy got up to deal with it.. lil one puts one hand on her hip and the other up and tells mom... STAY!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Tell me Vince

That you did not bust a gut laughing. Tell me that you were the mature adult and held your composure.

RIGHT!!

Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    That you did not bust a gut laughing. Tell me that you were the mature adult and held your composure.

RIGHT!!

Not a chance.
    what? i am still in trouble for laughing.... tease here none stop... i told her today..

I am waiting for that baby to Ear, mom back into her spot!!!!

meet on face book here

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Training kids to train

You can ruin the entire plan by making them scoop too much poop. I know. My step-son is a cat man now. or wants a pit bull.
    Oh yeah one more thing. No matter how you couch the conversation with the teacher, no use of the word "b***h" will be acceptable coming from your child's mouth in school, even its a report about your AKC Field Trial b***h. I went toe to toe with principal on that one poking my finger in his face over some stupid detention.

Crips even here on a dog forum I get the *****

www.alaskadognews.com

Default Gross !!!

I had to supress an anal gland today. JOY !!
    Guess who was watching? You guessed it ....my two year old little boy.
    He wanted to squeeze the dogs butts to after watching that. Uuugh !!
    No !! Don't do that !!

Default ohhhhhhhhh my

Suppress? Really? You wanted to keep it in or did you EXPRESS it?

I can't wait until the wife hears the dog whimpering, comes around the corner, the kid has the dog headlocked on the ground trying to emulate dad, and just as mom gets to the dog, splat, there goes the gland right on mom.
    This is going to be bad WR. Absolutely no good can come of this one.
    You are doomed my friend, simply doomed.

LOL we had an Airdale for years that would let one rip every time he hit the horse's hot wire with that club tail ...

oh ! foul

meet on face book here

[QUOTE=Ak River Rat;647393]Suppress? Really? You wanted to keep it in or did you EXPRESS it?

Oh yeah. I guess so. LOL Never could tell if I was going forwards or backwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast