Thread: Merino Wool - All the same?

Question Merino Wool - All the same?

There are so many companies out there that use Merino Wool for baselayers but prices can be very different. Is all Merino Wool the same or is there different grades of Merino Wool? If I understand correctly Merino is a specie of Sheep and I think there are 2 types of Merino Sheep.

Minus33 is fairly inexpensive vs. other brands...I've also found another brand that is around the same price as Minus33 but I'm unsure if I'm losing out on the quality with these less expensive brands.

What do you think?

Paolo

i'm sure they are different in some way. i use the cabela's merino wool base layer adn have been thrilled with it. no more synthetics for me!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My best guess is that the wool is basically the same, but that the quality of the garment may differ. With regards to socks, I've got a bunch of merino wool socks from Smartwool and a bunch from Costco - Kirkland brand. While the Kirkland socks are very comfortable, they wear out more quickly and they don't hold my foot quite as nicely as my Smartwool socks. I tend to use the Kirkland ones for day-to-day use and my Smartwool ones for hiking/hunting.

I would bet the same is true of other brands and garments. Maybe the difference is in the quality of the stiching, seams, or other features. While I'm a sucker for a good deal, generally you get what you pay for.

Default Loden Wool Rocks-

Ibex makes a loden wool that is from sheep from Austria that is imported to the US where it is treated and made into jackets. They are extremely durable and machine washable. They are also made in the US. I don't know about many of you folks but garments made in the US get my attention.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My best guess is that the wool is basically the same, but that the quality of the garment may differ. With regards to socks, I've got a bunch of merino wool socks from Smartwool and a bunch from Costco - Kirkland brand. While the Kirkland socks are very comfortable, they wear out more quickly and they don't hold my foot quite as nicely as my Smartwool socks. I tend to use the Kirkland ones for day-to-day use and my Smartwool ones for hiking/hunting.

I would bet the same is true of other brands and garments. Maybe the difference is in the quality of the stiching, seams, or other features. While I'm a sucker for a good deal, generally you get what you pay for.
    i would look at the tags and compair % of blends...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Cabelas Outfitter Merino Base Layers

Can anyone comment on these...they have them in a Tall which is a really rare find!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Can anyone comment on these...they have them in a Tall which is a really rare find!

they look nice.........i bet you would look good in it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    they look nice.........i bet you would look good in it..
    Does this merino make my ass look big? haha

I was actually referring to the itchyness. They have a decent rating for merino, but 2 reviews say they are itchy. No actual % specs available
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

OUNCES PER SQUARE YARD

17 is the finest, I believe.

Fine means less irritation. It can also be fine, but dense, which would be the Medium and Heavy weight fabrics made of wool.

Coarse wool can be medium to dense, but is usually accompanied by that irritation associated with coarse fabrics.

Wool will trap heat when damp or wet, but will freeze once the heat source is removed.

Finer wools dry nearly as fast as synthetics, but not quite.

Finer wools will not be as durable as synthetics, especially after laundering, so care must be taken to lengthen the life of the garment.

Wool will not accept body odor.

Taylor

Wool will not accept body odor.
    And that right there is why I like merino wool. I've had to throw out Under Armour because of stink..even when put in a bucket with charcoal for a week
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Perhaps 255 gram is a bit much .

i know my stuff don't itch...don't stink either....sometimes i itch and stink, but not my clothes!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Deals seem few - Merino isn't discounted often...

I noticed Barney's is carrying Minus 33. The t-shirt I looked at was thin (sometimes that's good) with a smooth, flat finish that ought to be comfy.

Most of the merino garments I own are Smartwool - and all have been surprisingly durable - little or no signs of wear in 4-5 seasons.

Brian M's point about cost and durability makes sense. Minus 33 might be an exception - Barney's usually stocks well-built garb. But, I've found merino so effective for staying warm, I might try anything that I found at a good price...

I noticed no one mentioned Filson........

Ron

I bought some Boyt on sale and it has worked out well.

I also have several pieces of Smartwool with mixed results......later garments have not been durable at all....I can hardly get them on without tearing.....and fit has been strange.....short bodies and very long arms.....too much money for the quality.

Default wool garments

Take a strong look at BEAGLE WEAR clothes. The bucks be dropping with BEAGLE WEAR.beagle wear.com

Default Beagle wear

Made in usa

Default LL Bean

LL Bean also carries talls. My wife loves hers, and there might be a set under the tree for me this year. I think the zip-T is the most versitile. Plus, they (Bean) have started to get back to their hunting roots in the past few years, and that's something I can support. Their wool base layers are cheaper than most, too.

I also have an Ibex zip-T from AMH that I got from their clearance rack.

Most of the stuff on the market today is pretty good. I have an older (10-15 yrs) Dufold wool long sleeve T that's itchy.
    Drink indigenous.