Thread: archery only moose hunt proposal

Default archery only moose hunt proposal

Debra (Corwin?) on the AC board has a proposal up that bow hunters need to pay attention to. If it is adopted, this will be a great opportunity for an archery hunt adjacent to a road/access, either sex moose, and extended from Sept through November. Since the idea is to reduce moose numbers next to the road that pose a threat to traffic, the hunt area is a mile wide corridor along the road.
    The proposed hunt will start out with the regular open bull season. Archers will have the added benefit of either sex. Also much of this area is close to homes and dwellings which gives archers a bit of advantage over rifle hunters.
    The season continues past the regular season so at that time there will not be any competition with rifle hunters. Right now the proposal is for this to be a drawing hunt.
    Where is it? Well, you can sign up to get info on the next Sub Committee meeting on Hunting, go to the meeting, and find out first hand. Or you can wait to go to the next AC board meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Debra (Corwin?) on the AC board has a proposal up that bow hunters need to pay attention to. If it is adopted, this will be a great opportunity for an archery hunt adjacent to a road/access, either sex moose, and extended from Sept through November. Since the idea is to reduce moose numbers next to the road that pose a threat to traffic, the hunt area is a mile wide corridor along the road.
    The proposed hunt will start out with the regular open bull season. Archers will have the added benefit of either sex. Also much of this area is close to homes and dwellings which gives archers a bit of advantage over rifle hunters.
    The season continues past the regular season so at that time there will not be any competition with rifle hunters. Right now the proposal is for this to be a drawing hunt.
    Where is it? Well, you can sign up to get info on the next Sub Committee meeting on Hunting, go to the meeting, and find out first hand. Or you can wait to go to the next AC board meeting.

This would be great, Thanks for the info.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey Greg was nice to see you at tonights.. only met two other members fo the forum there though..... to bad.

wonder where she got that idea for that prop..........????? me thinks some wet rat was involved.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Once again, I'm in Prudhoe when the meeting is going on. Hopefully I can make it in the future.

Default Nope, not me

She was talking to a business owner on the highway. He is concerned about the number of vehicles that hit moose. He thought that there is too much death, injury, property loss, and loss of the moose as a resource due to those accidents.
    If there is a resident population of moose near roads then there is a higher chance for cars to hit them. Why not hunt those animals in a corridor 1/2 mile either side of the road to help reduce the waste?
    I think the proposal is pretty well laid out. On top of that, the moose population in that area is at least stable if not growing. From what she said the bios and LEO are agreeable to the proposal.
    As for my proposals, well, they died in committee. My committee. I could not get away from work to finish the research on them and write them up. Maybe next year.