Thread: 300 wsm barrel erosion

Default 300 wsm barrel erosion

alot of forums are saying wsm barels burn out after 1000 rounds has anyone put a 1000 plus round through there 300 wsm thinking about buying one
    I shoot alot and if the barell will burn out quick do not want to buy one will go with 300 win so if any one has put over a thousand rounds through there wsm info would be appretiated

Really? What forums is that? All I have seen is that the 300 WSM gets excellent barrel life. The 300 RUM usually gets about 1000 rounds if taken care of, sometimes more. The 300 WSM is known to get 4000, at least from one BR shooter who won a competiton with a tube that had 4000 through it. The 300 WM will burn out a good bit quicker on average than a 300 WSM for whatever reason. A 300 WM that is well taken care of will get about 1500-2000 rounds

I've got about 500 down my bore and it still looks new....I'm thinking it will go a fair bit longer than 1000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got about 500 down my bore and it still looks new....I'm thinking it will go a fair bit longer than 1000 rounds.

thanks for the reply I really like the 300 wsm just read some bad things about barrel life its good to hear from someone put some bullets through the barell

Quote Originally Posted by fish slayer View Post
    alot of forums are saying wsm barels burn out after 1000 rounds has anyone put a 1000 plus round through there 300 wsm thinking about buying one
    I shoot alot and if the barell will burn out quick do not want to buy one will go with 300 win so if any one has put over a thousand rounds through there wsm info would be appretiated
    All centerfire rifle barrels will wear out if shot enough. However most of the talk of barrels being shot out has little effect on hunting accuracy and is just that, talk. Concerning barrel life/longevity there are many factors that must be considered: i.e. caliber, cartridge, number of grooves, steel quality, shooting practices, velocity/powder charge, etc. Some matter more than others, but for sporting purposes these factors don't add up to very much. Buy the cartridge you prefer and expect several thousand rounds of good accuracy from a normal barrel, regardless of the cartridge. In 3-5000 rounds you can have a rifle rebarreled if its not performing to your standards, though I suspect you'll find no problems in hunting accuracy until twice that many rounds from most cartridges. I've rebarreled rifles, but accuracy was the primary concern only for competition rifles and a couple of 22 centerfires intended for small targets at LR.

Default wsm barell

makes sense will be hunting mostly do like to get out to the range and shoot paper thanks for the replys