Thread: Pinks on the Kenai

Default Pinks on the Kenai

Guys when do the pinks hit the Kenai? I am bringing by 25yr old son up this summer in July and wondering if the river will be full of pinks. I want to hit the reds and am wondering if the pinks get thick enough to hamper fishing the reds. Thanks Guys!

I dont know when there are pinks on the Kenai, But if you wanna go for pinks I would say that the drive to Hope is worth it, Especially on even years. People can catch their limit in minutes.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

If you're fishing the middle or lower river the number of pinks on an even year is unbelievable. The upper river sees very few pinks though.
    So if you're fishing reds in the upper it is no different than any other year.

I am trying to avoid the pinks. We fish a little up stream from Soldotna. I would be happy if i never catch another pink.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am trying to avoid the pinks. We fish a little up stream from Soldotna. I would be happy if i never catch another pink.
    Oooooooh, gonna be hard to get away from them there.
    If you wanna fish there and not catch too many pinks, come back in 2011.

Pinks become a regular part of the creel in the last week of July.... more with each passing day. By the last day of king season, most of the plug bites you get in tidewater that don't stick are probably pinks that can't bury a 6/0 - 7/0 siwash on a K-16 KwikFish. Downsize to K15/14/13 and smaller hooks and you will stick a lot of pinks in the last few days of the king season.

You can also target pinks in off-channel zones in tidewater with Pixees/Mepps/Vibrax spinners/ or braight red/pink/orange streamer flies or marabou/rabbit steelhead jigs.

As the season rolls into the first week of August, swarms of pinks begin to flood the lower river. They will hit anything you put in the water. It's NON-stop action if you can park a boat in a 3-5 ft travel lane or one of the off-channel holding areas.... Beaver, Eagle Rock, Honeymoon, Fall In, Big Eddy.

I bring my girls up the first week of Aug every even year. The vast majority of the catch is pinks, but there are enough silvers, reds, kings, and trout to keep it interesting.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

As a side-note; this last summer I saw/caught more pinks on the mid-river (above Bing's/below Skilak) than ever before, even being an "odd" year.
    Jim

I saw a bunch of pinks on the russian this year they were NASTY

Fish close to tidewater if possible there's theres more of a chance the fish will be tastey
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

if you're fishing above tidewater (upstream of the pillars) you won't have any problem with pinks while fishing sockeye in july... but wait a week and it'll be a different story.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Fun to catch these fish and no wasted bait. Just a Pixie in any color and throw them back.