Thread: Powder Special Suspension Adjustment

Default Powder Special Suspension Adjustment

Anyone out there experience setting up the suspension on a 98 Powder Special 600 EFI Limited? I'm trying to get it set up for my son who is about 160 lbs. The front skies have 1 5/8" of thread on the fox shocks. The adjustable track shock has about 1" of thread and the cam is set for position 2 (normal)

Have the Fox Shox been recharged in the past couple of years? If not, that would be the first thing to do. 90's vintage Foxes required rebuilding about every 1000 miles or every year. If ridden occasionally you might get two years. After that, they need attention.

If you do get the Foxes rebuilt, you can instruct the rebuilder to revalve the shocks for your kid's weight and riding style. That will allow you to soften the spring settings which will allow the suspension to work. Bad shocks require you to set the springs stiffer because the shocks collapse too easily. Then the springs rebound and the weak shocks don't dampen the rebound. It's like riding a pogo stick. Good shocks and softer spring settings are much more fun.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 12-17-2006 at 10:49.

Default clutch

Thanks for the info! New question, the Powder Special came from Montana, therfore it was set up for 3K - 9K ft. The clutch has orange spring with 47.5 gm weights. It seems like its very slow to engage but I have not had a chance to really open it up. Should I get the weights changed?

Ask one of the local dealers. They'll know the proper setup for around here. If you're carbureted they need to check the jets as well.