Thread: OEC, WFR, WEMT courses, any available in AK this spring?

Default OEC, WFR, WEMT courses, any available in AK this spring?

My WFR expires in January and all my jobs, including my current one, require me to be current. I need to find a Wilderness First Responder recertification, an Outdoor Emergency Care, or Wilderness EMT course that runs this spring. I have been trying to find a course in Alaska and have not had any luck. Does anyone know of any options, in case I missed one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Default WFR recert

Get in touch with Deb Ajango at http://safetyed.net/ She's probably going to be running a WFR recert in January- my wife and I are going to be there, and she's probably got enough people to run the course. Give her a shout.

Default NSP OEC Course

Contact the Alyeska Patrol to see what they are planning for the spring.
    http://www.alyeskaskipatrol.org/html/events.htm

It looks like they started one Nov. 15. Depending on their format and number of candidates/students you may still be able to get in.

Usually we (NSP) do the OEC course in the fall/winter. We (Fairbanks Ski Patrol) are in the middle of one now here in Fairbanks. Sometimes Alyeska Patrol does one at UAA.

Thumbs up Deb runs a good Woofer class!

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Get in touch with Deb Ajango at http://safetyed.net/ .....
    Deb is an excellent instructor, and runs a good class.

Thanks for the posts, and the great lead on Deb.

Default WFR recert

Looks like Deb's going to be doing the recert class Jan. 8-10. I'll be there- how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Sometimes Alyeska Patrol does one at UAA.
    Deb Ajango does WFR courses through UAA. Alyeska Ski Patrol does not teach any WFR/OEC courses. Bud teaches a few courses as an individual. He does this as an individual and does not include affiliation with Alyeska other than a credential in his resume. From talking to he and Peter, it sounds like he wrote the book for NSP. He's definately an interesting guy. He's not big on drops but his knees still get him down OK
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Deb Ajango does WFR courses through UAA. Alyeska Ski Patrol does not teach any WFR/OEC courses. Bud teaches a few courses as an individual. He does this as an individual and does not include affiliation with Alyeska other than a credential in his resume. From talking to he and Peter, it sounds like he wrote the book for NSP. He's definately an interesting guy. He's not big on drops but his knees still get him down OK
    Thanks for the clarification regarding the UAA deal. I know none of the Patrols teach WFR. We all do OEC, sometimes Patrols will allow non-patrollers to take the course if they have room. It just costs a little more.

Bad news up here. Still not enough snow to open. Usually we're open by Christmas but it's not looking to good. We've got 12 new candidates we are running through OEC now but it's going to be hard to get them all through on-hill stuff if we don't open before February

OEC down here was in Oct/Nov. It's always full, especially with the new owner and new patrollers.

Deb is a class act and knows her stuff.

Now if we could just get a decent warm front to litter the hills with a few feet of blower everything would be perfect
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default WFR class and Recert

Deb's doing a WFR recert (January 8-10, 2010) and a full WFR (February 20-28, 2010). www.safetyed.net for more info.