Thread: Winter Outboard

Default Winter Outboard

I am looking to head out on PWS before the end of deer season. The last time i went out this late the bays we anchored in would ice over. Not brutal but still cold enough to seperate salt and water. My new boat has an outboard on it, should i be concerned if the temp drops low that the water passages in my outboard will rupture? All my experience is inboards with heat exchangers and i don't know what level of protection i should expect from an outboard.

Not a problem. Just keep it down in the water while at anchor.

Forecast looks great, too.

PKZ125-100300-
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
    400 AM AKST WED DEC 9 2009

.TODAY...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .TONIGHT...SW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .THU...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING NW 10 KT IN THE
    AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FT.
    .THU NIGHT...NW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI AND SAT...NE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SUN...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    $$
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Charterboat Operator

Ditto on spoiled ones idea, only other thing i have done, on REALLY cold nights, is to unscrew the flush out hoses and let them drain. probably bieng over cautious, but it can't hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Ditto on spoiled ones idea, only other thing i have done, on REALLY cold nights, is to unscrew the flush out hoses and let them drain. probably bieng over cautious, but it can't hurt!
    Good tip! I suspect they drain, but is it worth the chance? Probably not.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Tilt it out of the water and run it for 5 seconds or so to clear the water out of the water pump. You'll see water blow out for a second or two and that's it. After that everything else will drain enough to not hurt anything. I've done this with outboards in cold weather for a long time with no problems.

Default Thanks

All really good advice, this forum sure is handy

Default Running to flush or not?

Seen where tilting and pumping the water out is good but we pulled the coil wire so it would not start just turn over, should pump the water out and lessen the chance of hurting the pump. ??????????????

Default out board and salt

I did winterizations for years on boats , customer and rental fleet.
    in the process on the stern drive engine, we would drain the block and fill with RV anti freeze till it came out the lower unit, because it is safe for the environment. On the out board motors, those that were left in the water, didn't seem to have a problem, but the ice never got more than 6" thick . we never lost a lower unit to freezing in the water, but out of the water yes. It is the freeze thaw and re freeze that does the damage.
    in the channel we had what they call ice eaters, they are a fan that is positioned under water as low as possable to draw the warmer water against the serface, no ice forms any where around the boat. We learned not to rely on heaters for the block for two reasons , the power could go out at any time,especially if the weather was stormy, and water and power cords strung on the dock need constant attention. winterizing the stern drive engine is wory free, power or no power, the engine is safe.
    granted you would have to rewinterize each time you shut down for the nite, because the antifreeze would be washed out in the running , but done right you could leave confident and mind at eze it would be ready to go when you get back to the boat. We had avid fishermen that did this every day, long as the ice on the lake was thin enough to break easily.We had an OMC rep scrambling the country side looking for engine blocks one year because the power went out in an area they did not expect, and boats in heated garages had frozen and cracked the blocks.