Thread: Ruger P345

Default Ruger P345

Anyone own or have personal experience with the Ruger P345? I've seen positive reviews, but I'd like to hear from someone who actually owns one and isn't being paid to write about it.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

No info for you on that gun specifically (sorry) but I have a friend with an SR9 and she swears by it. Same deal with my P90, great little gun that's built like a tank. I wouldn't hesitate to give the 345 a try.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I'm in the market for a new carry gun. My preference has always been 1911s or revolvers, but several people have tried to convince me to broaden my horizons.
    I probably should have started this thread by laying out the basic things I'm looking for in a carry gun. The P345 doesn't meet all of my "ideal" criteria, but I'm still willing to consider it.
    At this point, I've more or less made up my mind that I'm not going to get another revolver (right now). In no particular order, these are the things I would like to have in a new carry gun. (One or more may be negotiable if I found the right gun.)

• 45 ACP
    • small enough to carry inside the pants
    • built to be used on a regular basis (I like to shoot my carry gun regularly. This may exclude non-steel frames, but not necessarily.)
    • reasonably priced (obviously, this is open to interpretation)
    • accuracy and reliability

I've looked at a variety of guns from Kimber, Springfield, Colt, S&W, CZ, Beretta, Para-Ordinance, Kahr, and Ruger. I think the P345 sounds interesting, but don't have any first hand experience with it.
    James Madison

Have you looked at the Springfield XD's? Tactical tupperware, but the subcompact version is fairly small and you could certainly shoot it consistently.

I think there's a fellow selling a P345 in the for sale section, maybe see if you could get his opinion on the gun? I know glocktalk will have a few folks who've used them as well.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

The Ruger is okay, but there are better guns out there if carrying in a concealed manner is a priority. Look into the S&W M&P Compact or the Springfield XD. An Awesome pistol is the FNH. If I were buying one today, I'd buy the FNH.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Rugers are good guns but their resale on autos suck. Many PD's don't allow Ruger as a duty gun.

I agree the FNP-45 is awesome. The FNH FNP-45 may be the most awesome .45 since the HK USP45 / Mk45, but (just as the HK) it is also the closest thing to a carriage mounted handgun since the Desert Eagle. It is hardly a small and concealable pistol.

The Ruger 345 (which I have not shot) seems OK from the few people I know that have one. The triggers have been good for a traditional DA/SA action. The P-90s I have shot were all reliable and accurate, and slightly bulky and inelegant. The 345 certainly feels and looks better then the P-90.

The S&W M&P45 in any size would be good and similar in height and length, but a bit thicker in the frame than the 345. It is a light SA-like striker action.

The XD is more 1911-like in feel and operation than any other gun mentioned. It is still pretty fat.

The Kahr P-45 is far smaller, thinner and lighter than any of the other options suggested. Carry is easy and comfortable. It has a long, light and smooth DAO trigger feel. Shooting non +P ammo has been pleasant, but sharper recoil than most .45s due to its light weight. Think shooting standard pressure 230 grain in the Kahr and feeling like you are shooting 230 +P in a full size/weight gun. Not bad for maybe a couple hundred rounds, but I wouldn't take one to a 1000 round 2 day handgun class.

All the guns above have different operating systems and 'feel' when shooting them. All of them should last for tens of thousands of rounds, no matter if they are steel, polymer or aluminum framed. None of them except the Kahr have any IWB carry advantage (to me) over the 1911, and in fact most have more width and bulk than a 1911.

If you already like the 1911, the Colt O4860XSE Lightweight Commander or S&W 1911 PD or Compact ES will be around $1000, light and flat, and easier to carry than most other .45s.

If you really want a different action type than the 1911 and like how the Ruger feels, how the trigger and safety operates, and can find a holster that carries it comfortably concealed on your body, you're done.

Dang, I do go on, don't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    An Awesome pistol is the FNH.

Ruger auto resale prices do generally suck. Those resales I have seen are mostly 9mm's and .40's. They were generally bought, owned and used by those who wanted (or could only afford) an inexpensive hi-cap wonder-nine or 'Foh-tay'. They didn't cost much to begin with, there are a ton of them that are not well cared for and look like crap and so when sold into an already flooded handgun market the sale prices reflects those realities.

I don't see that many of the .45s offered for resale. As they have sold well, that suggests that the people that own them don't sell them. That tells me the owners are content with what they are and how they function.

I would be interested in hearing which police departments that generally allow their officers to pick their own .45 caliber handgun do not authorize the Ruger .45.

The S&W Compact ES is definitely one that I am considering. I'm just not ready to rule out the Ruger yet. I don't mind paying more for the Smith, particularly since I prefer the 1911, but at the same time, I don't want to overlook another gun that may be good as well.
    James Madison