Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Blackbear around Anchorage

Default Spring Blackbear around Anchorage

Does anyone have any advice for a spring black bear hunt around Anchorage? This will be my first black bear hunt so i could use some advice. Would anyone suggest an area if so i would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Brant

Default Good Luck

Not many guys are willing to point out such a sacred hunt... I'd start with ADF&G's website for habitat research and behavior...

I figured as much but you never know unless you ask. I have read all the info about black bear on the website. pretty much everyone i talk to says black bears are everywhere. Just trying to narrow it to a certain region. Also trying to find someone to hunt with i usually hunt with my wife but we are going to have a kid so that is out the window for a while. Hopefully i will find someone to hunt with before spring.

Thanks

Default just my thoughts

This will be my first spring, though I have been here for two years, if you know someone that hunts over bait, that would be the way to go, help pay/work to get the station set up. I don't think that there any bad areas to hunt black bear, I have been to the hope rd to many times and not seen a bear, yet I hear that is the place to be, while I have gone 15 minutes from home and shot a bear?? If you are in shape the turnagain area is good, but you better be in shape. If you are going to do a spot and stalk hunt, then make sure that you own a good set of binocs and spotting scope, get high and sit still till you find something you want to stalk.

Seward Highway
    Lots af areas to glass from near the highway. Anywhere from Gird to Seward. Check out the Portage Valley. Also the Summit area has been good. If you are out early you will see men with spotting scopes glassing the mountains while parked just off of the road. Just remember there are other uses for the highway than hunting for a hunting spot. Check your regs for restrictions.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Spotting along the Seward Highway can be great in the fall, but I've seen far fewer bears using this method in the spring. They tend to be down low in the thick stuff then, rather than up high feeding on berries. I agree that finding someone who baits would be the best course of action.

-Brian

Default Bear baiting clinics

I know it's a little off topic, but I'm having trouble finding out online when the upcoming baiting clinics will be. The online info is all for 2006, not 2007. Are any clinics planned for 2007? I guess they're held at Rabbitt Creek, right? Thanx.
    Last edited by OneRound; 12-17-2006 at 13:25. Reason: clarify

I agree that baiting is a great way to go. Keeping a bait station active is a lot of work so if you do find someone who baits, offer to share the work.

Don't forsake the spring glassing though. For a bit of time invested you will see bears. We might be a lucky bunch, but a lot of hunting is luck. Get out early when the mountain tops are still deep in snow. Some of those big ones will be crossing snow fields on their way down to the thick stuff. If they are staying high, it is a free show just to watch them rooting around. One of the best shows that I ever saw was south of Tern Lake and involved a large black and 2 goats. The goats ended up chasing him down to us! OK, that one is probably still alive, but it was exciting until the wind shifted.

Spot em high and get in front of them. If you are young enough to go up after them, more power to you.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks for all the advice. The Seward highway thing is what im looking into. Now i just have to find someone to go with.
    Thanks Again

Default fly in bears

There are several areas CLOSE in flight time that surpass anything you find on the road system close to ANC. If you do the math on 2 or 3 trips back and forth to the Kenai, its probably a wash. Find one of the many cub drivers and such who charge by flight time or will make you a deal. About as close to a sure thing as you will find if you can cover ground.

Look for the south facing hillsides, especially ones where the vegatation is starting to come up. You will see a bear. now getting to it is another story.

I also agree with AK-hunt. for years I wanted to hire a pilot to bring me up on the hill tops across the inlet above hope. Good bears there just havent found a pilot I trust in SC here for a high altitude drop-off. I also thought of going to the end of palmer creek road by the mine and hike in a couple of ridges. One of these days I will do it.

you can take one in eagle river valley I think. Lots and lots of bears here
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Glad to see this topic off to a good start

I too will be beating the bushes for my first Alaskan black bear this year. I have waited 11 months for my residency to kick in so I can hunt without purchasing tags. (part of the reason I fished more than 100 days this year is I didn't hunt--drift boat never dried out but my guns were silent)

I have a buddy that baited last year--so I am planning to take the clinic and try to set up a couple stations between us.

In response to the post about finding someone who baits and offer to help with the work--reviewing the regs, it looks like anyone who helps maintain a site must attend the clinic. However, maintains is a bit vague, so I am uncertain what work can be contributed without worry.

Saw several nice bears out scouting around this fall that made me consider biting the bullet and buying a non-res license and tag. Held off, now just hoping I can connect this coming year.

Will

Default time?

When is the best time (month) in the spring to start looking for the bears?

mid-May would be the best. They can be out as early as late April, and in high-snow areas like Prince William Sound they may come out as late as late May. The fur should be prime until the first week in June, then you'll start finding some with rubs.

-Brian

Wouldn't happen to be Air Force/Army people willing to hunt with me this spring would there. Im having a baby in march so i lost my hunting partner? if so please PM me.
    Thanks
    Brant

Only interested in military hunting companions?

Sorry about that. Let me correct my self. Anyone from around Anchorage willing to hunt with me this spring. I just arrived in August and trying to find a hunting partner.
    Thanks
    Brant

No apologies necessary...I was just curious. I would be happy to give you a call in the spring if I find myself with time to head into the mountains, but certainly can't make any commitments at this point. Not sure what the spring will hold for me yet.

-Brian

Sounds good if you have a chance in the spring i would be more than happy to go bear hunting. I know what you mean spring is still a ways away.
    Thanks
    Brant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast