Thread: Trail Report W.P.C. Willow AK. 12/09/09

Exclamation Trail Report W.P.C. Willow AK. 12/09/09

Not much has changed. But we did get out and got some areas groomed. The lakes got the overflow ruts ground down and with the colder temps the overflow should not be a problem. No new snow, so snow depth here is 8" to a foot of snow. Trails are still a little bumpy. Corral Hill to the river is in fair shape. The rivers are in good shape! Both Kroto Slough-GCI trail and the main river can be used to get to the Yentna.
    Parking at the Community Center and out at West Gate Center is still Free!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Almost all overflow on Kroto is frozen over. GCI trail needs some more snow but it has been used. We need some more snow to get things really cooking out here! The guys have been working during the past week to groom and stake the river trails. Still rough on the Su, but further up the Yentna the ride is nice and smooth.
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

Appreciate the reports.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Just wondering if anyone has been hauling freight yet
    Last week we got 28 inches of snow up by lake creek

Thumbs up YEP!

I know Dave Luce has been hauling gas and feul oil to his place and with all the traffic that was up the river last week I think you should not have a problem!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default info

i came down the yetna yesterday, after spending a week at the shack, from fish lake creek, and the trail is nice and hard. the only bumpy parts is when the trail cross's the jumbled up ice, other wise its baby smooth. the river is staked from just below lake creek to luces

Came in from the river just a wee bit ago and wow,,,,,,,,the river is the best I have ever seen early season. Don't let the reports of jumbled ice and overflow scare you away. You do have to pick and choose your way around some of the bigger blocks of ice and keep a sharp eye out for some pretty big ice potholes(drum ice as they call it) if running away from the trail.

The trail from the Landing to Yetena Station is pretty normal rough areas of small jumbles. Kroto is almost all WFO till you make the few turns and then the cutoff back (or turn to GCI) to the Su. The Su from there down is back to hammer down with a slight slow down thru the shortcut. Larry Heater was working on a couple of get arounds for some open water and an ice ridge here or there. So mind the crossed stakes for the danger areas. I would bet that most of the markers will be in place for the Holiday. Larry was dragging the groomer when we stopped to talk to him.

The only slow downs from Sacery Tree to Yetena Station is the normal jumbled crossings, Fish Creek to Yetena, Rootbeer creek, just above Luce's and the sand bar above that, the crossing from the sand bar to Yetena Station.

Yetena Station out is real good/fast with the usual problem areas. Great snow depth.

The snow coming from the Landing is just ok but increases dramatically as you ride west/ north towards Skwentna/Shell Lake.

For those needing to move freight it may not be a bad idea to go a little early this year. I did see someone running one of those small trucks that are not road legal up the trail with tracks.

Also as a reminder check your registrations. I seen alot of sleds out there today with 08's and 09's(expired Sept) and a few 07's. You are cheating all of us by not doing it. This takes away money available for trail development, marking, grooming and safety. Come on 10 bucks for 2 years is cheap, real cheap as a matter of fact.