Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxpro Fury...

Default Foxpro Fury...

Don't know anything about them, but there is a new one for $500 on CL - http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1501401899.html
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Man, I would like to have an electronic call so I could set it away from me and distract the attention of the predator, but I just choke at spending that much on what is basically a speaker with a little bit of memory.

I've thought about looking at the less expensive foxpro models, but until I can get out with more regularity I think I'll stick to the mouth call.

I was using my home made caller remotely this weekend. The X-rocker system that Kyle hooked me up with worked flawlessly. I was an easy 100-150' away and clear as a bell. (all of $50-$75 invested )
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I think I am going to get the Foxpro Spitfire here pretty soon $200, remote, 24 preloaded sounds that I pick and microsd slot so I can add more sounds, sounds pretty good to me

Default did you know about these guys?

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/
    They had the Scorpion for $350. Right now they are showing sold out. This was the best price by far I saw anywhere. Anybody else see good deals?

The Foxpro Scorpion is definitely on my wish list. Until then, my winter camo FX3 does fine.

Default FoxPro

The Scorpion is a great caller for Alaska. It's small enough to pack in a pocket and you can add an extra speaker if you need extra volume in open areas. The Fury is just an all around awesome caller, especially with the TX500 remote and all the features. I have a brand new one in the box I'm selling for $500 if anybody is interested? If you're in Fairbanks, let me know and I can meet to show it to you and work out a sound-list.

Default how far away does the remote work?

Generally. I realize conditions may affect distance. But how far, in winter conditions, is the remote control effective on Foxpro calls? What is the best or greatest distance you've been able to control the call, and what is the normal distance?

Default Remote Distance

I've had my older technology FoxPro's work over 300 yards in the winter. That was direct line of sight. The newer remotes using the FHSS technology (TX-500 model), I haven't tested out yet in actual field use, but it did work in my house over half a mile away down the road. Hope that helps.

Default X-Rocker

AKmud,

You stated "I was using my home made caller remotely this weekend. The X-rocker system that Kyle hooked me up with worked flawlessly"

Would you be able to provide some specifics on the X-rocker in which you used for your E-call; model #, price, location purchased, and how you installed the kit?

I am looking to add that feature to my homemade project as well.

Thank you for posting your procedures with photos, they helped and inspired me tremendously!

BG, no problem.

The X-rocker wireless system is as easy as they get. It is simply a plug and play transmitter and receiver - Here for $35

I think hunt_ak found them cheaper on Ebay, but that link shows the basic set up. One unit is a transmitter and the other is a receiver. They have three available channels and each use two AAA battieres. Simply plug the transmitter into the headphone jack of your Ipod (or other MP3 device) and then plug the receiver into the e-caller (don't forget to turn it on!). Make sure they are each on the same channel and you are good to go!

Hope that helps!
    AKmud

I love the design of my fox pro scorpion, but have had little success using the remote beyond 70 yards. I even sent it back to them for testing. They told me they replaced the receiving crystal and everything checked out. I still don't get the advertised range. I'm bummed because I like everything else about it. I will send it in again and ask them to completely replace all the internal components. I don'y think they will take the housing back because I bought a black one and painted it white. In defense of the company, they said it had a 5 year warrenty and to send it back again if I still had problems. I just hate to be without ANYTHING while it's in the shop.
    PC gag in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ak river rat View Post
    http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/
    they had the scorpion for $350. Right now they are showing sold out. This was the best price by far i saw anywhere. Anybody else see good deals?
    they probably had it for that much cuz it is not that loud. Its only got one speaker. My buddie has it. We were not impressed on the volume. My fx3 is way louder than it.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska sportsman View Post
    i love the design of my fox pro scorpion, but have had little success using the remote beyond 70 yards. I even sent it back to them for testing. They told me they replaced the receiving crystal and everything checked out. I still don't get the advertised range. I'm bummed because i like everything else about it. I will send it in again and ask them to completely replace all the internal components. I don'y think they will take the housing back because i bought a black one and painted it white. In defense of the company, they said it had a 5 year warrenty and to send it back again if i still had problems. I just hate to be without anything while it's in the shop.
    my fx3 works with the remote out to abouot 250 yards. Thats the farthest iv tried it. Like a charm.

Alaska Sportsman, here a few thoughts for you to consider....

Before I bought my FX3 people claimed of having remote trouble and the caller was severly limited as far as range goes. A few situations caused these problems and most were user related. I'm not pointing the finger at you, it's just something to consider.

Problems were common when the batteries were running low in either the caller or remote. My FX3 has great battery life but when the remote battery is running low I have problems. Extended periods in cold weather will speed this process.

I havn't tried one of the new callers nor the new remote but with my style you cannot point the remote at the caller like a TV remote, the antenna works best when it's pointed vertically.

Also the caller receives the remote signal the best, especially at longer distances, when the caller is elevated off the ground by atleast a foot. Try setting the caller out to 100 yards and place it on a stump, point the remote antenna vertically, and HOLD the desired button for a couple of seconds.

Finally, if it's snowing that will interupt the signal diminishing the remotes distance.

I can easily control my caller at 150 yards with my back to the caller when it's off the ground (ie hanging from a strout tree limb, or sitting on a stump) and the remote antenna pointed vertically. With a little practice I can press the pause button a second before the sound loops and have a seemeless break in sound. Nothing pisses me off more than missing an animal, secondly pausing during mid rabbit squeal. 200 yards hasn't been a problem either.

This is my fourth season on my FX3 and I'm extremely happy with it's performance. Last season I didn't call much, but this year has been a different story. I havn't changed my batteries in two years, and it's still going strong. I've successfully set the caller out to 200 yards and controlled the caller exceptionally well. While it's snowing my range is limited though. I do carry a couple mouth calls just in case my FX3 fails me, but that has never happened.

Maybe you know all of this, I don't know, but thought I would throw it out there anyways.

Gremlin,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I have tried all your suggestions. The intruction mannual and the company rep said ecactly what you said. I do get better reception when the call is elevated. I tied a lanyard on it and hang it as high as I can reach. My external speaker) from radio shack) has about a 5 foot cord so I usually hang the caller at least that high. I have fresh batteries every time I go out, and carry 3 extra battery packs with me if I'm out all day. I hat bad mouthing the product an truly believe the design and function are good. I just got stuck with a lemon. I will soon do a comprehensive trial using my buddies identical unit and pace them out together side by side using his remote and mine to determine if its a sending problem or a recieving problem. Then I can go to Fox Pro with the results and persue a resolution. Thanks again for your post !!
    PC gag in place.

Default Scorpion volume

GM, from what I read, the Scorpion fills a different niche than the other Foxpro e-callers. They advertise it as being able to fit in your pocket, being lightweight, and I read someplace about volume limitations.
    I have never used anybody's e-callers, so have nothing to compare to. But reasonably comparing a compact unit to a standard size does not seem fair. Having a very small portable unit may fit certain hunting styles more than the large unit.
    Everyplace else that is selling the Scorpion is advertising them for way more money, even on e-bay. My assumption is that they are selling at the higher price, because I have not seen the prices falling.
    When I was calling the other night my volume was up only about 30% to 50% of the highest level. That is when both animals came in.
    The small lightweight unit interests me for the days I want to get off the beaten path and hike. There is something to be said for being highly mobile.
    Hey, if your buddy hates his Scorpion, is it for sale? Cheap?

Default Scorpion

That's very strange about the 70 yard range. I'd send it back to FoxPro, they'll fix it for you. If anybody in Fairbanks is interested in checking out and listening to a variety of e-callers, send me a PM and we can set something up. I've thought about doing some type of e-caller meeting here in Fairbanks and discuss the callers, sounds, and other featuers with a group. Maybe if there are enough people interested, we could all meet somewhere and talk e-callers? Here are the callers I have that you can listen to:
    FoxPro Prairie Blaster, FoxPro CS24, FoxPro Scorpion, FoxPro Fury (until sold), Minaska Ultimate One, Wildlife Technologies KAS2030 TOA model and a variety of older one's.

I have used the Scorpion the last 2 seasons and really like it. I have experience with several other Foxpros going back about 8 years(?). My Scorpion's remote will reach out past 100 yards. I almost never set it up that far away. The volume is plenty strong....no need to worry about it not making enough sound just because it is portable. It is as loud as I would have it and as loud as any other Foxpros I've used. I have no experience with the Fury though. Mine or other friends' Scorpions have called in coyotes, lynx, fox, and wolves, as well as tons of scavergers. It is a nice unit and because it is small I take it with me when I'm not calling, like when I hike. I mess with all kinds of critters as the opportunity presents itself.

Here I am worrying about spending $300-$400 on a single call and Snowcamoman the Caller King has one (or more) for each day of the week!
    If I were you my wife would worry that I had a fetish for all those calls!
    What do you think about the Minaska unit, available sounds, customer service, and how does it compare to the others? I see them at Frontier Outfitters, but nobody seems to know anything about the units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast