Thread: Now part of the "Flasher" gang

Thumbs up Now part of the "Flasher" gang

Well I just couldn't wait to save for a Vexilar FL20 so I found a great deal on the old standard FL8se. I LOVE IT! My house looks like Cabelas blew up and yet I never owned a flasher. I still don't know how I'm so late on these..... but thank you guys for promoting them here because after doing a little research I knew I had to have one and they work great! I easily caught 4 times the fish with it and could tell when my eggs fell off my jig (after dialing in the gain). I still love cameras, but won't go without a flasher again. Good Fishing!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Default thumbs up

I'm old school with my Vexilar. I've had the FL8 for 15 years and even though there are more bells and whistles on the other models I've been perfectly happy with the performance. Run it hard this winter.

What lake can I find ya on for a demo?

Man it seems like each company has 20 differnt flashers, with different features etc.

Hey one other question if ya don't mind. Whats the run time on one of those for a day?

Thumbs up Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the club alaskanassasin!
    They sure work wonders to instantly find your depth and know weather their are fish under you or not.
    I have caught hundreds of fish over the years that I never would have known were there if not for my flasher. Especially those cruising higher in the water column whilst I was fishing the bottom.
    It is also amazing to see when your bait is missing after you gret a bite.
    It gets harder to tell with smaller baits but still doable if you set the gain just right.
    I have also caught a few fish after dark that we could see come in on the screen and had to tease them into biting.
    I bought the fl20 because I had the money and decided to buy the latest model this was my first flasher. Nothing wrong with the fl8's from what I hear and you can get them a lot cheaper.
    Waterwolf not sure what you mean by run time but my FL20 is supposed to run for 24hrs on a full battery.
    Personally I have never run it for more than 16 hrs ( 2-8 hour days in a row)without charging but had no problems at that time and I still had some juice left in the battery.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Waterwolf not sure what you mean by run time but my FL20 is supposed to run for 24hrs on a full battery.
    Personally I have never run it for more than 16 hrs ( 2-8 hour days in a row)without charging but had no problems at that time and I still had some juice left in the battery.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was asking for, and from the sounds of it better then I thought. You guys got me jonesing for one now. I guess I better go to SW house and see what they got.

Yep my flasher is one of those don't leave home without items. I caught fish before I had one but now that I have one I would never go back! I have heard really good things about the Vex flashers but I don't think I've even seen one. I have a Marcum and can speak well for their machines. From what I gather the difference between the Vex and Marcum is like the age old Chevy vs Ford preference. Either of them do the job and do it well. Welcome to the Flasher community. My recommendation is to do your flashing down the hole and don't remove any clothing above the hole. At least not for flashing purposes!

Dan

I also bought a flasher a couple of years ago...we grew up chasing walleyes on hard water with lcds. Dunno what took me so long to get back into it, but regardless the difference between having one and not was the difference between catching fish or not on hard hit waters.

I also have the marcum...sweet machine!!!

Default Vex FL-20

I was cruising the iceshanty.com forum and ran across a brand new FL-20 for sale for 4 bills so even though i just shelled out the money on a new Nils ice auger i couldnt resist the flasher. So here i sit at work waiting to get home and see if it has arrived yet. Isnt fishing supposed to be cheap and relaxing? yea right
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    What lake can I find ya on for a demo?

Man it seems like each company has 20 differnt flashers, with different features etc.

Hey one other question if ya don't mind. Whats the run time on one of those for a day?
    I'm sure they all make quality units. I chose Vexilar purely on their track record of reliability. 50 years in the business, I'm left to assume they (have it figured out). PM me and I'll be glad to hook up with you. I'm a couple minutes from either Cottonwood or Finger Lake but whatever works is OK with me. Nice thing about living in the Valley is riding out of yard down to the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I was cruising the iceshanty.com forum and ran across a brand new FL-20 for sale for 4 bills so even though i just shelled out the money on a new Nils ice auger i couldnt resist the flasher. So here i sit at work waiting to get home and see if it has arrived yet. Isnt fishing supposed to be cheap and relaxing? yea right
    Congrats! You went top shelf on those. They are both good investments if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    I'm old school with my Vexilar. I've had the FL8 for 15 years and even though there are more bells and whistles on the other models I've been perfectly happy with the performance. Run it hard this winter.

Will do. thanks!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Welcome to the club alaskanassasin!
    They sure work wonders to instantly find your depth and know weather their are fish under you or not.
    I have caught hundreds of fish over the years that I never would have known were there if not for my flasher. Especially those cruising higher in the water column whilst I was fishing the bottom.
    It is also amazing to see when your bait is missing after you gret a bite.
    It gets harder to tell with smaller baits but still doable if you set the gain just right.
    I have also caught a few fish after dark that we could see come in on the screen and had to tease them into biting.
    I bought the fl20 because I had the money and decided to buy the latest model this was my first flasher. Nothing wrong with the fl8's from what I hear and you can get them a lot cheaper.
    Its all you guys's fault..... you talked me into it. Thanks!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post
    Yep my flasher is one of those don't leave home without items. I caught fish before I had one but now that I have one I would never go back! I have heard really good things about the Vex flashers but I don't think I've even seen one. I have a Marcum and can speak well for their machines. From what I gather the difference between the Vex and Marcum is like the age old Chevy vs Ford preference. Either of them do the job and do it well. Welcome to the Flasher community. My recommendation is to do your flashing down the hole and don't remove any clothing above the hole. At least not for flashing purposes!

Dan
    I AGREE! as for the ladder, NOBODY wants that!