Thread: Bad Outcomes with Taxidermists?

Default Bad Outcomes with Taxidermists?

In my opinion, 99.99% of all taxidermists are hard working, ethical individuals who provide a great service to hunters. Unfortunately, I've just had a bad outcome with an individual on Prince of Wales. IAW forum rules, I will not post the name of the individual or business. Simply put, I left a black bear with an individual who hasn't shipped it and it's been 7 months. Upon further inquiry, I've found out that the state troopers may have been involved. At least two other individuals may have been affected. The last report was the shop was in disarray, hides were on the floor and there was a smell of rotting flesh. The ADF&G Wildlife Conservation Office is aware of the situation and is involved. I DO NOT wish to bash individuals in this thread but I DO wish to learn from others on how how they have resolved conflicts with less than ethical business owners. Please refrain from using names of individuals and businesses but feel free to share your stories and how they were resolved. Send me a PM if you like.

Question

I'm a little confused. In your earlier post, you stated that the "sealer" messed you over, and now it's a taxidermist. Maybe I just mis-read, or was it both? Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

It was both. The sealer also advertised as a taxidermist. I had my bear sealed and then left it with the same person who took off their "official bear sealer hat" and then put on their "taxidermist" hat. Sorry for the confusion. I am told the person is no longer an "official sealer." I don't know the status of the taxidermist business.

Default the business

That Taxidermy business is in disarray ... to put it mildly ...

I do know the ADF&G is involved now ... if you are one of the hunters involved I suggest you get intouch with Ketchikan or Craig ADF&G offices.

In this area it is common for a Taxidermist to be a Sealing Agent.

muskeg, thanks for the post. I am one of the hunters involved. I took a bear this past May and left it with the un-named individual. I have sent e-mails to ADF&G. Since you more likely closer to the situation (I live in Texas), could you send me period PMs if you hear more locally? Any other suggestions on "next steps" would be greatly appreciated.

It's really a shame when hunters invest so much time and effort taking magnificent creatures only to find out that there is nothing to show for it. I'm hoping to one day receive my bear but my hopes aren't very high.

Thanks again for the post. And, by the way, I enjoy reading your website.

Quote Originally Posted by 7wt View Post
    muskeg, thanks for the post. I am one of the hunters involved. I took a bear this past May and left it with the un-named individual. I have sent e-mails to ADF&G. Since you more likely closer to the situation (I live in Texas), could you send me period PMs if you hear more locally? Any other suggestions on "next steps" would be greatly appreciated.

It's really a shame when hunters invest so much time and effort taking magnificent creatures only to find out that there is nothing to show for it. I'm hoping to one day receive my bear but my hopes aren't very high.

Thanks again for the post. And, by the way, I enjoy reading your website.

When I took my son and daughter on their first deer hunt I brought the hides to a taxidermist in Tucson as I was working there on a large project at the time. After two months I stopped in to inquire about them and was tols thay were not back from the tannery yet.
    This went on for another two months until he finally told me he did not know where they were are he did not have a record of which tannery he sent them to.

Default Bad Outcomes with Taxidermists?

PRDATR, Sorry to hear about your situation. What was the outcome? How did it get resolved? Did you ever get your hides back?

Just received a PM from another hunter. At least three other individuals have not received their hides from this particular individual.

Default Mike

I think that this is another example of why we need to be allow an avenue to post this kind of info. Has any progress been made about allowing us to have a thread to post comments of a negative nature. It's that only thing that this site is missing and it's one of the most important kinds of info and PM'ing just doesn't cut it because in a short period of time that info is lost in cyper space. There HAS GOT TO BE A WAY......

I have received several PMs from individuals concerning the situation in Craig, AK and have referred people on to ADF&G. This is really getting to be a big problem. If you have a rug that you haven't received, please contact me and I'll pass on what information I have and who to get in touch with on POW. I am happy to say that the ADF&G is fully aware of the situation and appear to be resolving the matter as best as they can.

I was hoping to use this post to hear about other hunters who had similar stories and how they resolved their issues. Anyone have a story worth posting?

Go over to http://www.pristineventures.com/cgi/...oard.pl?,c=gen
    They do not have the same rules.

Have you put in a formal complaint with the division of Profession, Corporate and Business Licensing?
    550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1500
    Anchorage, AK 99501-3567

Investigations Phone: (907) 269-8437
    Investigations Fax: (907) 269-8195

Email: investigations@alaska.gov

Bill S.,

I sent a letter to:

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    Division of Administrative Services
    Licensing Section
    P.O. Box 115525
    Juneau, AK 99811-5525

I believe they are the office that license taxidermists. Thanks for your post. I will send another letter out to the division of Profession, Corporate and Business Licensing.

hap

7wt
    I had a friend's 12-year-old son on my boat some years back and he shot a very nice little buck on Afognak Island. I told them to take it to Robert Holzhaouser in Eagle River and they got it to a different taxidermist by mistake. My wife took a mule deer to the same guy for remounting. Her father shot it in the '60s and it showed its age badly. I was down in Kodiak at the time and unaware of what had happened.

Quite some time later my friend stopped by with the mount his son had gotten back and I almost cried. Well, if it was not so sad it would have been funny. There was very literally a silver dollar size hole in the hide at the brisket where the orangey foam showed through. The eyes were "special"... sort of that Charlie Manson look with one eye following you around the room while the other looked at a bug in the far corner on the vaulted ceiling.

The whole thing was a wreck!

I immediately drove out to ER and picked up my wife's mule deer which had only been put on a form. The antlers were cranked back so far it looked like a Cro-Magnon with the heavy brow. They were crooked as could be on the form, too. I paid for the form and his "work" explaining why I was so displeased and taking the cape and antlers back.

He said we should bring the mount back and he would fix it because "Sometimes things get out of the shop that shouldn't."

Understatement of all time, that. He is still in business and producing some of the sorriest taxidermy going.

Robert Holshouser on the other hand, had an unclaimed deer mount and he replaced the lad's antlers completely free. he also redid my wife's mule deer and they both look like the rest of Robert's incredible work... Sure wish he was still doing stuff...
    art

Hap,
    Thanks for your post. It is a hardluck story but I could see the humor in it. Thank God for honest hardworking taxidermist like Robert Holshouser. I've come across some great people in Alaska who are more than willing to help out with a problem. I'm glad your story had a good ending. Thanks for your story. Good hunting!
    7wt.

I guess I don't get this guys. The rack in my avatior took less than 2 months to do. Yes it was over 15 years ago, but still. That rack hung on a wall outside for 20 years before I did something with it. Oh, and cost me a whole $125.00 to get it returned to me wraped in plastic.

The other day a guy that I was hunting with 2- 1/2 years ago just got his back after getting troppers invovled. 61" bull that got transfered from one person to another.

If I could get mine back that quick, this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Thanks for your post. Never thought I'd say this to another guy but..."nice rack!"