Thread: 09 Tundra 300F vs 10 Tundra 550LT

Question 09 Tundra 300F vs 10 Tundra 550LT

I have decided to get a new snowmachine and despite my limited experience and the fact that Ive never owned a machine, I have done alot of reseach and decided to go with the tundra.

My question is which of these should I go with. I want something versatile that can do lots of things until I decide what kind of rider I am, then I cn go from there. If it matters I am about 5 10 240. I will need the machine to get me up to some property I bought about 50 miles up the Yentna. For this year only I will probably just need it to get me up there hauling small loads and ice fishing, clearing trails etc., and maybe playing in some powder if I find that I enjoy that. So my immediate needs are pretty basic but in the next couple of years I will probably start doing more heavy hauling for cabin building etc. I know the widetrack machines are the workhorses but I dont think its an option for me right now, so if I find I need one I can address it in a couple years when I need to.

I will definately go with the lontrack in the 10 model if thats the route I end up taking. I have heard the arguments and think I would like the pogo suspension better. That said I like the $2500 cheaper price tag on the 09 and the possibly better fuel economy with such a long trip I'll be constantly making. Does anyone have any numbers or educated guess for a comparison on fuel consumption between the 2?

I hope that wasnt too long but I figured I'd get all the info out of the way so I can get better specific advise. Thanks in advance for any comments.
    -

I have the '10 Tundra LT and love it so far. With that said good luck finding a 09 Tundra 300 I hear they are pretty hard to find

I've got the '09 Tundra 300F and think quite highly of it. It pulls a much heavier sled than I'd ever have anticipated and its extremely nimble in wooded terrain. The light weight is a real bonus if you get it hung up and one guy can horse it around by himself. Fuel efficiency is extremely good but top speed is pretty laughable but thats not what this sled is built for.

Its shortfall is deep powder in my opinion and it doesn't have the front end flotation I'd expect the newer design (or a bigger machine) to have. I'm seriously contemplating an add on skid plate or a wider ski to help.

If you expect you'll mainly be running on packed trails or in flatland woods I'd go with the 300 and pocket the difference in cash. If you really think you'll be going to mountains and running big unbroken powder I'd probably go with the LT.

Thanks for the replies guys, good info. Hodgeman, What abouts is this laughable top speed? And what do you think it would be hauling lets say 300-400 lb sled on a groomed highway of a river that the yentna supposedly is in the late winter months. I do have about 50 miles one way I'll be regularly doing.

Also, any advice fo a newb on how to keep said machines in good running condition for a long life,regular greasings etc., would be greatly apreciated. I dont really know much of anything on the mechanics of a snowmachine and even have a pretty limited knowledge when it comes to vehicles in general. But i am sharp and dont mind getting my hands dirty so I look forward to the learning experience.
    -

I have a 2007 300F and a 2008 550F. For your usage I would definately go with the 550F. It will ride smoother, play better and go faster. I like my 300F but it is limited. I would not want to water skip with it. It bogs down in deep powder. 50miles on my 300 at 45 MPH VS 50 miles on my 550F at 65. You can save alot of time. You may want to stud up the track for river running.

The 550F is a blast to ride!!

Thanks again for all the timely info, folks. I'd like to make a decision here in the next day or so, I am tired of waiting after spending 2 months looking for a used machine to no avail.

I have made a decision between the two and it is the 550. But theres a new variable though. To my suprise, I called up the arctic cat place to get a quote on a 2010 Bearcat 570 xt and the out the door price is 8799, only 150 more than the Tundra. I expected at least 500 more than that which is why I didnt really consider since I'm already spending more than I really wanted to.

So with that said lets turn this into a Tundra 550LT vs Bearcat 570xt thread. I havent seen it yet, but the Bearcat seems like a really nice machine. I think I may go take a look at it pretty soon. Obviously the Bearcat is probably a better hauler but what do guys think? Any bearcat owners ou there want to chime in?
    -

A couple other things to consider in case you guys arent aware, the bearcats msrp is 950 more than the tundras which suprised considering the out the door difference of only 150. But, with the tundra I'll get 4 yr warranty compared to 2 and 350 store credit so it all works out to where the bearcats about 1000 more all things cosidered. To add 2 more years he said it would be around 600 more.

Any way, sorry if I'm overloading you guys with too much info but its really close in my mind and I need someone to sway my opinion one way or another. I dont think I can really go wrong with these 2 machines but I'm excited and I hope to keep the machine for many years to come and I"m on my weekend right now so its all I can think about... even though there are other things to be doing...
    -

I have the bearcat 570 xt and it was surprising what it would do. I trapp and I can get about 100-120 miles per tank depending on terrain. It does great in powder and I can ride with the buddies on there 800's. The hitch is awesome. Extra leafs that you can lock in when needed. I like the tundra but I'm happy I made the choice I made.

The machines you're mentioning are all somewhat different and vary considerably in price.

Tundra 300 is a low dollar utility sled, a lightweight woods bomber with a narrow stance.

Tundra 550 LT is something of a do-all trying to cross between utility and some powder capability.

The Beacat is a pure workhorse.

If I ever buy another sled a Bearcat is on the short list. I rode one earlier in the year and it felt twice the size of the tundra. Perfect for long range trail and river running. In the woods it was kind of a pig though. It was almost twice what I paid for my 300F.

570 Beatcat VS 550F Tundra.

I have only ridden 1 of each. 2005 Bearcat and my 2008 Tundra.

Both will pull a pretty heavy load. Motors are very close and both have great reputations.

Riding comfort goes to the Bearcat. It is well.... cushy. Great seat comfort and decent ergonomics. Great for a long trail ride pulling freight or not.

The Tundra gets my nod for boondocking, sidehilling and general playing. The ergonomics are awesome for my bad back. Drawback is higher seat= lower windshield. Running the river will be colder.

Be sure you have a decent dealer.

Well I ended up going with the Bearcat. To my suprise I'm going to be able to get out the door for 30 bucks more than the Tundra. I think I made the right choice. I'll tell you guys what I think after I'm able to get it dirty. Thanks for all the help.
    -