Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSX penetration

Default TSX penetration

Is it true that in 375, the 270 gr. TSX penetrates like a 300 gr. bonded-core bullet; and that in 338, the 225 gr. TSX penetrates like a 250 gr. bonded-core bullet?

Thumbs up TSX

Yes, the The Barnes TSX 225 gr performs like a 250 gr conventional....partition....etc.

Very little loss due to all copper, very good bullet in the 338 Win for large game.

I use IMR 4350 @ 71.5 with this bullet in my 338 Win.
    Alaska

I've shot 250 gr. Nozler Partition bullets through my .338 for years and have been quite pleased. However, Barnes is now offering the TSX in a 250 gr. version for the .338. I've emailed back and forth with one of the guys at Barnes and am now convinced I've got to try this bullet. Can't wait for spring and a little warmer weather so I can do some load testing.

Check it out at: http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodtsx_new2006.php
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I think it would be close being dependent on initial velocity differences and how much bone is hit. I suspect with a heavy bone hit the X will retain a higher percentage of its original weight while the bonded might shed enough to bring it down to or below the lighter X weight. However I think with most hits the higher weight bonded would maintain more weight than the X and hence penetrate deeper.

In the calibers and weights you mention the animal will not know the difference, choose the one your gun likes better.

Default Tsx vs A frame

Anyone know how the tsx compares with the a frame?In terms of penetration and weight retention?

I haven't used the A-frames, but you can get a DVD just for the price of shipping from barnes. I know the only bullets that came close to the weight retention and penetration in their tests was the fail safes and trophy bonded bear claws. I shot a moose with my 300 RUM using 180 g TSXs at about 140 yrds. She dropped where she stood and penetration was until the skin on the other side. I hit a rib going in. I'm sure any other bullet would have killed, but I was impressed when I recovered the bullet...it looked perfect like the pictures you see. It weighted 174g out of 180....the only reason it weighed less, was it lost one of the front 4 petals. The insides of this moose looked like coffee grinds. I have shot the TSXs at bowling pins at 100 yrds to try and recover one....the bullets go straight through. I have done the same test with Accubonds....they didn't make it straight through and they were just a bunch of pieces. I am definately sold on TSXs.

Thanks for the info,i think i will order that barnes dvd...

Default X bullets

I can share some info on standard X bullets. I used the 250 gr. Nosler for many years in .338 Win. Mag. with great success. I think I recovered 3 bullets and they weighed about 180 grs. In 1989 I switched to the 225 gr. X. Recovered one of them and it weiged 224 grs. and looked perfect. I switched to the 250 gr. X when they came out. I have never recovered a 250 X. I did stick a wounded moose in the tail bone with a 250 X at over 200 yds. and that bullet stayed in it, as can be expected. Could not find it though. We also use the 180 gr. X bullet in the 30-06 and have had good results. I sat down one day and wrote down bullet results from about 40 gut piles that included moose, caribou, bears and a wolf. So I am pretty sure the X bullet out penetrates the Nosler, all things being equal. I do need to add this though. Probably over half of those shots were taken at animals that were under a 100 yds. Many were much closer. Only 3 or so were over 300 yds. If I was doing much shooting over 300 yds. on veggie crunchers I would probably go back to the Nosler Partition. It is still a great bullet. I have always read good things about the Swift A Frame but have not used them. You probably can't beat a 225gr. XXX bullet for a all around use in the .338 Mag.

Regardless of caliber, the bullet of the same caliber and of the same construction that has a greater SD, has the potential for more penetration. In other words, a .338-caliber 250-grain TSX has the potential of out-penetrating a .338-caliber 225-grain TSX. Now, lets say that a .338-caliber 225-grain TSX is shot against a 225-grain Partition, even though they have the same SD the TSX more than likely will out-penetrate the Partition of the same weight because the latter expands sooner and loses more weight on its way in.

Now, a .338-caliber 225-grain TSX probably out-penetrates a .338-caliber 250-grain Partition, depending on the medium the bullets travel through, but this not always holds true. For example, lest say that the 225 grainer expanded normally and had not trouble working as it was designed to do, but that the 250-grain partition's failed to expand (the bullet hit bone with its side of the nose), and just passed through. In this case the 250 grainer behaved like more of a solid than the 225 grainer.

The bottom line is that bullet construction changes the SD formula in most cases. A soft bullet expands sooner than a harder one, but if the bullets are of the same construction, the SD formula holds true in most cases.
    Last edited by RayfromAK; 12-17-2006 at 15:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    I've shot 250 gr. Nozler Partition bullets through my .338 for years and have been quite pleased. However, Barnes is now offering the TSX in a 250 gr. version for the .338. I've emailed back and forth with one of the guys at Barnes and am now convinced I've got to try this bullet. Can't wait for spring and a little warmer weather so I can do some load testing.

Check it out at: http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodtsx_new2006.php
    I agree with you on this. The 250 grainer should do very well at closer ranges and on bigger animals. It seems that Barnes has taken care of the accuracy problem of the original X, and now have a winner in their hands. If you decide to try this bullet, download the TSX reloading instructions from Barnes. It's very useful information, since one has to use the reloading data on the Barnes #3 manual in addition to the special instructions.

I thought you guys might be interested in the response I received from Ty at Barnes. I'm also looking at TSX bullets for the 30-06 and 7mm-08. Here is:

Hi Doug

I'm attaching the 30-06 TSX Load data I currently have available. I expect the 7mm Rem Mag in the next few weeks and the .338 Win mag in 4 to 6 months.
    Please feel free to try back. Or you can get them as soon as they are avaialable from the Copper Club.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

anyone ever try the 270 gr. TSX in 375? Think it penetrates like 300 gr. bullets of other makes? I'm wondering about its suitableness for big brownies.

Quote Originally Posted by go_north View Post
    anyone ever try the 270 gr. TSX in 375? Think it penetrates like 300 gr. bullets of other makes? I'm wondering about its suitableness for big brownies.
    From what i heard about TSX is should work fine,only heard great things about the TSX so far

The Barnes 270 is more than adequate for Brown Bears. These were all taken using it:

The last picture is the largest, probably 2000 pounds, taken at about 225 yards breaking the shoulder and passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    The Barnes 270 is more than adequate for Brown Bears. These were all taken using it:

The last picture is the largest, probably 2000 pounds, taken at about 225 yards breaking the shoulder and passing through.
    Ed m, sorry to correct you but all of those were taken with the XLC bullet not the new TSX

Sve,
    Sorry to correct you, re-read my post, I never said it was with the TSX. I said "Barnes 270". The 270 XLC and TSX have the same terminal performance as per the Barnes website. The only differences is whether there is a coating or whether there are grooves.

Sorry about that,i stand corrected,i just assumed he wanted to know about the "TSX penetration" because thats the name of the thread and all...
    Last edited by svehunter; 12-18-2006 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    I thought you guys might be interested in the response I received from Ty at Barnes. I'm also looking at TSX bullets for the 30-06 and 7mm-08. Here is:

Hi Doug

I'm attaching the 30-06 TSX Load data I currently have available. I expect the 7mm Rem Mag in the next few weeks and the .338 Win mag in 4 to 6 months.
    Please feel free to try back. Or you can get them as soon as they are avaialable from the Copper Club.
    Dough:

That's good news about the reloading data. Keep in mind that you can download the "Triple Shock X Bullet Loading Guidelines" from Barnes. You still have to use the Barnes-X reloading data from Barnes #3, plus the instructions on the guidelines above.

You may already know thins, but I decided to mention it just in case. The "Guidelines" are found here:
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/tsxguidelines.php

Default .30 200 Tsx

Most people won't agree with this, but I'm going to try some 200 grain TSX's in my .300 WSM for Brown Bear this spring if I can get a decent velocity out of them. I have an extended magazine so I can seat the bullets out a little further than normal and I'm hoping to get 2850 - 2900 fps out of them. Anybody use this combination of bullet and velocity for big mean animals?

Default Data

THE VIEW FROM THE VELD
    - HEAVYWEIGHT BALLISTICS from CHRIS BEKKER

http://http://www.deerstalker.com/te...ballistics.htm

The above data deals with the ballistic performance of many premium hunting bullets in use today. The new Triple Shock is not covered as it was not out so only the original X bullet is listed but I thought you might enjoy the read.

Paparock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast