Thread: How's the waterfowling in Juneau??

Default How's the waterfowling in Juneau??

Was wondering how the juneau boys were doing on ducks/geese during this cold spell??? We missed a group of 6 geese Sunday morn --but my buddy shot three puddlers on saturday. I talked with an older man who shot his four geese one day!! He has them figured out I guess. he was helpful in sharing some ideas on how to ambush them when they fly into the flats. Also saw a pile of birds sitting out on the open water at the north end of the bar--could have been several hundred ducks and 50 or so geese. the lake is frozen so they can't hide there/that's good. I heard the seaducks have been good with the cold weather.
    skookumchuck---what have you been up to?? I know you are a waterfowl fool. Does anybody have any good reports/sightings??? How did alaska gray do on his trip to southeast??

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    saw a pile of birds sitting out on the open water at the north end of the bar--could have been several hundred ducks and 50 or so geese.
    Sounds about normal...

I've haven't been doing so hot latley as well. Wish I could get after the geese in the fog today....headed out tomarrow. I think it would be alot better if people didn't shoot at every goose within 150 yards though....blows my mind sometimes.

I was out a couple of weeks ago and had probably 200 geese fly right over, about 30 yards up, but it was half an hour before shooting light....typical...lol.

Tried for seaducks last weekend and only had 2 buzz the decoys at mach 4 and missed....way lame. nothing was flying at all where I was at.
    Nice Marmot.

havent been out in a week i was out caribue hunting but before i left there were ALOT of geese in town and i heard there is still alot in town maybe i will go tomarow for opening light
    has anybody been out in the past week?

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I think it would be alot better if people didn't shoot at every goose within 150 yards though....blows my mind sometimes.
    Ain't that the truth. I've pieced together the fact that most of the time the individuals who take those kinds of shots are too young to buy cigarettes. A little freindly advise from older, wiser hunters is necessary when we see stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I was out a couple of weeks ago and had probably 200 geese fly right over, about 30 yards up, but it was half an hour before shooting light....typical...lol.
    Those geese have it figured out. They leave the flats right before shooting and until recently, they would camp out on Auke Lake all day and head back to the flats 45 min after shooting. Now that it's frozen, hunting should be hot until the season closes.

Only 3 weeks left!

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    Now that it's frozen, hunting should be hot until the season closes.
    Got that right!

They're not all kids....I used to hunt with someone who would shoot at 'em when they were sky-high and get all excited and give us crap for not shooting too...He was never a very ethical hunter though....More concerned with killing stuff. He lost more birds to the tide than I care to remember. Even If you do hit a goose at 100 yards all you'll likely do is put a pellet or two in their guts so they can die a slow death.

The school kids are the worst though......except for the ones who wander around at the edge of the flats and scare up all the birds....I don't mind them Watch out for the idiot kids out at Nine Mile Creek... I've about lost it out there before
    Nice Marmot.

Well, my season ended today with no geese this year

I had high hopes for my last hunt today (out of town for the holidays), but the tide didn't come in far enough and the birds wouldn't come any closer than 50 yards. I had a marginal shot on a small flock but held off hoping hoping they'd move in.

Had a couple guys try to put the sneak on part of the flock towards the end of shooting and pushed them out for good. If you're on this forum, that white board you were trying to hide behind as you snuck up does not work. It might as well have been a signalling mirror, just so you know...

Erich

went out today saw ALOT of mallards an geese got a teal an mallard but no geese

i was informed that someone in a jet boat was hearding geese into hunters an it was anounced on the radio is there any more info u guys have heard about that?

Quote Originally Posted by juneauduckhunter View Post
    went out today saw ALOT of mallards an geese got a teal an mallard but no geese

i was informed that someone in a jet boat was hearding geese into hunters an it was anounced on the radio is there any more info u guys have heard about that?
    LOL....yeah...I was hoping no one pointed their finger at me since I have a jet...Thank god is covered in a thick layer of frost and snow to prove it hasnt been used!

Quote Originally Posted by juneauduckhunter View Post
    Yikes! Juneau is a little too small to do stuff like that and not think someone will recognize you or your boat.

Be interesting to find out who it was...

Erich

I have some good bets on who it was....Only a couple people that I know who actually use jets on the flats...

ya i wasnt serprised when i heard it but kinda dissapointed because it puts a bad name on duck hunters in this town