Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apology to the compound community.

Default Apology to the compound community.

Tracy recently pointed out that I've been more than a bit of a hypocrite lately where compound bows are concerned. I have a strict personal rule that I don't form an opinion on things I don't understand. Fact is I don't get compounds, oh I have a basic understanding of the bows and I definately get the desire to hunt but that's about it.

So my apologies to the compound community! In the future I'll do my best to foster understanding between the different archery communities instead of making cracks about training wheels, lack of dedication and relying on tech instead of skill.....fact I don't have enough experience with your equipment to say things like that.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I appreciate it Rick, as I have crossed swords with you about it in the past.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Why do hunter's knock on each other

It irritates me when fellow hunters knock on each other's methods. The important thing is to be out hunting, not with what. I've recently taken up recurves and longbows after hunting with compound for years. Still have a compound, still shoot it and would not hesitate to take it hunting because an animal is going to be difficult to take with either method.

The instructor at the bow certification shot a long bow and spent the whold class knocking on compounds and in my opinion decreased his credibiliity immensly.

Stand together and if you want to bicker at somone make it the politicians and animal rightists.

My intent has always been more teasing than contempt. Unfortunately I'm not always very good at communicating said gentle ribbing, so I'm simply not going to pull that stunt anymore.

I'm very disappointed to hear your IBEP instructor was, well a bit of a ***** and more than a little unprofessional! A certification class is hardly the place for misguided personal views. His attitude dose nothing to further traditional archery or hunting in general. It also shows enough of a deficit in character and ethics that he would not be welcome in my camp! Unfortunately there are those in the Traditional community who firmly believe that anyone who doesn't shoot trad has no right to call himself an archer. In fact I've met folks who firmly believe any bow with glass isn't a real bow and has no business in the field. I've met compound guys with similar attitudes as well. I agree we need to support our fellow hunters, and I do mean hunters. Not everyone in the field these days is a hunter, too many folks out there with loose ethics giving us all a black eye.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Oh come on! You can type "asshat" but ***** gets deleted! What if I *****ed my finger whit a broad head and wanted to tell folks about the dangers of sharp pointy objects!?!
    BHA Member

OK got to run I have a new archer picking up the 1959 Ben Pearson signature take down I acted as purchasing agent for. Going to do a quick basic class as well.
    BHA Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

WOW just goes to show even the hardest of eggs can be cracked this holiday season... better watch out that baking....may find your self flipped for the lite side...

maybe i will bring some wheels with me and let you giver a go ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default you guys are going to push me out of bows

Yep, I'm thinking maybe it time to start a new trend and stop all the contversy.... Hunten' with ROCKS, big Rocks yep thats the way to go.

Default against inlines

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    The instructor at the bow certification shot a long bow and spent the whold class knocking on compounds and in my opinion decreased his credibiliity immensly.
    A long time ago the instructor teaching a muzzleloader class downgraded anyone personally that liked inlines; he had many reasons why, but they all merely made the guy less credible no matter what he was saying.

We should still be able to unite under a larger umbrella, despite our individual choices of method. I wonder why that's so hard.

Red face rocks?

Algonquin;

Only if you don't use "magnum" rocks. And,... the have to be natural rocks too, no man made stuff.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Yep, I'm thinking maybe it time to start a new trend and stop all the contversy.... Hunten' with ROCKS, big Rocks yep thats the way to go.

Brave Heart....... shoulda remembered the rocks...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I always took the smarty remarks as sportsmanlike teasing! As long as you know your equipment, can shoot it and be ethical while you are hunting and you're happy with it who really cares?? I just took my recurve to have a string made, ect.--so I can learn to shoot it better AND it's not a HOYT --oops did I say that?

P.S. HOYT ROCKS!!
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

Default smarty remarks

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Hoytgirl View Post
    I always took the smarty remarks as sportsmanlike teasing!...
    Of course that's the best way to take them; good for you.

The example I was citing was a state certified hunter ed instructor saying during the course them teaching a ML class that anyone that would prefer to shoot an inline muzzleloader instead of a more traditional muzzleloader drinks his own bathwater. That's an exact quote.

That's not what a herd of 12 year kids just learning about muzzleloader hunting need to hear.

Vince
    That has been tried! Paul over at the archers den set me up with a wiz bang techy something or other with all bells and whistles. It scared the snot out of me! Way to many things moving way to close to my face!
    BHA Member

Hoytgirl

Good that's the way I intended it. What are you shooting for Trad anyway?
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    We should still be able to unite under a larger umbrella, despite our individual choices of method. I wonder why that's so hard.

One word brother Passion....yep passion those of us who choose to use a "primitive" weapon are more than a little nuts and we are totally in love with our chosen form of hunting. Also many of the trad guys and buck skinners worked for years to get our own season before compounds and in lines became popular. Many of them see the more "advanced" version of there beloved bow or smoke pole as cheating and the folks who use them as having no real dedication, who wouldn't even own a bow or black powder rifle if it didn't extend there season. Personally I think this view is a bit selfish but many disagree. Folks get so wrapped up in feelings they loose sight of logic.

It isn't any better among Traditional archers believe me. I know guys who hate black swan bows enough to burn there factory to the ground if they could get away with it, why? Well those bows have a ceramic matrix limb how dare they call themselves "traditional"! Spend much time around fly fishermen? the gulf between dry fly purists and nymphers is even greater!
    BHA Member

Default I wouldn't touch a traditional bow (on a hunt) with a ten foot pole

But I strongly support your right to use one; I'm glad you and others here can, and do enjoy it. I love my compound bow, and my inline muzzleloader, and my rifles.

To each our own. I'm glad we don't all have the same passions. How boring would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    One word brother Passion....yep passion those of us who choose to use a "primitive" weapon are more than a little nuts and we are totally in love with our chosen form of hunting. ...

As I support your right to use a inline or compound. And your right it would be a terrible place to live if we all had the same passion.

I cant always tell online but you did get from my post that I feel folks who would disagree with us on this are just being selfish right?
    BHA Member

Default selfish?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I cant always tell online but you did get from my post that I feel folks who would disagree with us on this are just being selfish right?
    Yeah. And a bit shortsighted. We need to stick together. Even when stuck together we're still a minority.

I have had this recurve for a long time, just never got proficient with it. Picked it up a few times just for some backyard hysteria . I will still shoot my compound and plan to do my big game hunting w/it but recently I attempted shooting indoors and I didn't enjoy it as much. The lighting and distances available and it was just not as enjoyable but it occured to me that this would be a great place to learn to shoot my recurve! So now you know...... the rest of the story! I love to shoot, so as long as I'm shooting it's all good!
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast