Thread: Remington 700 SPS?

Default Remington 700 SPS?

Anybody have one of the 700's in the SPS model? I was looking at getting a 300 Win Mag or 300 RUM. I can't find one to shoot around here. Are they pretty comparable to the regular 700's? I think they're a little bit lighter. Just curious as I can't really afford the Sendero model.

Or if anyone has another option in the $600 range.

I was at the gun shop today wiping down some consignment guns and remembered that there was a couple 300 win mags on the shelf. Seems like one was a Model 70 with a synthetic stock but can't remember what the other one was. Since I live in Iowa those guns are apt to sit in the rack for a long time....just a tad bit overkill for coyotes.

I will check on what exactly they are and the prices tomorrow. I'm sure we could get one of them to Alaska for well under the $600 dollar mark.

I just noticed that you are NC. We could ship one there even cheaper.

I'll check on them and get back with you!

Default Tikka

I would look closer at the tikkas. I really like my remingtons but those tikkas are very accurate. The 2 sps rifles that ive handled both had sloppy actions and poor blueing. Im not sure if they are all like that. You can get a t3 lite for around $550. There is allot of info on this site. Hillbilly

I would agree with Hillbilly! A Remington SPS is not in the same league as the Tikka T3. In my mind Tikka's are the best bang for the buck out there. Howa would be a close second!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I was at the gun shop today wiping down some consignment guns and remembered that there was a couple 300 win mags on the shelf. Seems like one was a Model 70 with a synthetic stock but can't remember what the other one was. Since I live in Iowa those guns are apt to sit in the rack for a long time....just a tad bit overkill for coyotes.

I will check on what exactly they are and the prices tomorrow. I'm sure we could get one of them to Alaska for well under the $600 dollar mark.

I just noticed that you are NC. We could ship one there even cheaper.

I'll check on them and get back with you!
    That would be swell. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I would look closer at the tikkas. I really like my remingtons but those tikkas are very accurate. The 2 sps rifles that ive handled both had sloppy actions and poor blueing. Im not sure if they are all like that. You can get a t3 lite for around $550. There is allot of info on this site. Hillbilly
    I haven't really ever looked at the Tikkas. But I shorely will. Thanks for the input. I was looking at a stainless SPS but I don't want a sloppy action. I need to go handle one I guess.
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.- John Wayne

There is nothing wrong with the 700 SPS. Just a cheaper grade of 700. I hunt with one in 300 RUM that I picked up at a sale for $399. It is a great rifle, Minimal work to slick it up, trigger job, speed fireing pin, set of talley light weight rings and a ziess 3-9 conquest. It will shoot well under MOA with my reloads and has proven very reliable. I keep planning on restocking it but haven't gotten aroudn to it.

One downfall of the tikka T3 is its total lack of a recoil lug. I had one in 338 win mag, light, fiarly accurate but stock design wasn't very good for recoil. It was one of the most brutally recoiling rifles I have ever shot and I have had several ightweight big bore rifles. Most of the laminated stocked tikkas I have seen have had cracked stocks, most likely due to the joke of a recoil lug on these rifles. If you get a tikka I would suggest one of the synthetc stocked models as the stock has enough flex to probably handle the loose recoil lug setup. Plus there are a lot of plasitc parts on the tikka. My stock cracked after less than 100 rounds, right along a glue line of the laminate stock across the action screws. Because I had a muzzle break installede berreta usa wouldn't honor any warrante, if changed for stock oonfiguration they won't warrante the rifle. The plastick magaziens seemed fragile to me and would melt with some bore solvents.

Iheard the tikkas have something wrong with the stocks and if you have a problem I don't think there's any aftermarkets out there and factory stocks are suppose to be in the 500 dollar range, you might check to see if I'm wrong thats part of the reason I sold my t3 lite
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I have 2 sps's both in stainless. The may not be as svelte as a tikka but the sure shoot. They both came with the adjustable triggers (didn't think they were supposed to). I like mine and would buy them again!

Thumbs down Tikkas

I have seen several examples first hand how Tikkas fare in the advent of a over pressure round, I can say I wouldn't have wanted to be holding it at the time. Besides having poor stock and recoil lug design, the lack of safety features tell me I will never own one. The Rem SPS is a decent rifle at a good cost,the finish may leave a little to be desired but after a couple of seasons it will likely show some scuffs anyway. I would personally buy a Savage 110 before getting a T3, and I have no love for Savage rifles, if that tells you anything.

Just my opinion, take it for what you will.

I have a TIKKA T3 Hunter in 6.5x55 Swede that has alot of rounds through it with zero problems.

It's an easy choice for me. I'd gladly take a Remington 700 over a Tikka T3. I handled & shot a few of the Tikka's, and I didn't see much that I liked. They did shoot well, but there's enough other strikes against them that I'd never seriously consider buying one.

i went down to the gun shop 2 weeks ago with every intention of leaving with an sps. the instint it was placed in my hands i knew i would never be satisfied with the stock. it just felt and looked cheap. I guess thats how they can put the price at $600 for a model 700. I owned a t3 light in 270 win for a few years and put alot of rounds threw it. Both handlloads and federal fusion ammo grouped extremely well. The stock on the tikka is far better then the sps but It stell felt like a cheap piece of plastic and eventually led to me parting with it.

No argument from me. The cheap plastic SPS stocks are just that - cheap and plastic. The good news is that there are LOTS of aftermarket options for a Remington 700 stock, so it's an easy fix.

The issues I have with the T3, however, can't be fixed.
    - In the .223 they put a 1-8 twist barrel on it, and then give you a magazine that so limits your COAL, you can't really use heavy bullets with it. ???

- The .223 is built off the SAME action as the .300 Win Mag, they just put a bolt stop in it to shorten the bolt travel. ???

- The T3 in .300 Win Mag that I shot kicked worse than my 7-1/2 pound .375 H&H. No thanks.

- Josh already mentioned the recoil lug & stock issues.

I'm not arguing the accuracy potential of the T3. I've seen them shoot accurately. But considering the rest of the rifle, it's kind of like bragging that you're the valedictorian of summer school.

hap

Dan
    I prefer to buy rifles based on anecdotal "evidence" and the gut feelings of strangers, thank you very much! This idea of basing firearms purchases on facts really should stop if you have any aspirations of spending your golden years wandering from gun shop to gun shop dispensing wisdom...
    art

...it's kind of like bragging that you're the valedictorian of summer school.
    Dan - That's great!

I bought my son a 700 sps youth .243, and just placed an I'll take it on a used sps youth 223 for my other son. Yup, cheap plastic stock, and a parkerized finish.

But he's pretty fond of it.

He can't yet shoot to the guns potential, but is getting there. With the 75 v-max it'll put 3 shots into 3/4" and under groups, the 85 tsx goes around 1" or better for 3 at 100 yds. 100-105 speer and rems go around 1" for 3 shot, and those weren't even worked up loads. And while you might not like the look of the stock, they aren't that bad in your hands, and they recoil pad is pretty good.

I have no doubt the 223 will shoot as well or better, and that my youngest son will be just as happy.

I can't see paying more than about $500 for one, especially if you plan on changing out the stock. But as far as the action and barrel, it'll shoot just as well as any other model of 700 I've ever shot.

I heard Cabellas has the sps youth 223's on sale for $389 this week, and would highly advise picking up at least one of them

If I lived near a Cabelas, I'd back my truck up to it and let them load .223 SPS youth rifles in it until the credit card gave up the ghost.