Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow puller

Default Arrow puller

OK just got an e-mail from my friend Bill's daughter. Apparently bill is having a hard time pulling his practice arrows. He is over 80 and had a kidney transplant about 5 years ago. He switched to a compound bow a few years back, he doesn't like shooting it but it has kept him in the field so I don't know of anyone who would argue that the bow hasn't been a good one for him. He can pull the arrow from a 25 pound target recurve without issue but the hunting bow drives them a little deep. Anyone have experiences with a arrow puller? I'd like to hear about it.

PS I suggested he hang up the bow after his kidney transplant.......he'd rather die and so far he is still accurate and has help with his deer.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    OK just got an e-mail from my friend Bill's daughter. Apparently bill is having a hard time pulling his practice arrows. He is over 80 and had a kidney transplant about 5 years ago. He switched to a compound bow a few years back, he doesn't like shooting it but it has kept him in the field so I don't know of anyone who would argue that the bow hasn't been a good one for him. He can pull the arrow from a 25 pound target recurve without issue but the hunting bow drives them a little deep. Anyone have experiences with a arrow puller? I'd like to hear about it.

PS I suggested he hang up the bow after his kidney transplant.......he'd rather die and so far he is still accurate and has help with his deer.
    rick the ones we have are rubber grasp balls to grip the arrows. the kids have to plant their feet on the target to pull them out and can not pull mine out... as they are usually stuck through the block targets
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If he is shooting Aluminums spray some WD40 or similar on his shafts.

If they are carbons rub a bar off soap accross them every few rounds.

They make arrow pullers but I'm not sure they would help him. They are a rubber cylinder that has a wedge cut out of the middle, slide your arrow in the wedge and it gives you something bigger to hold on to and some more grip. You should be able to find them on Cabelas for under 15 bucks. Thats the best I've got. Hope it helps.

I think having something of a larger diameter to grab is the ticket. Bill is a archer from way back and I'm sure he has done the WD40 and soap, in fact Kathy said "a slick arrow and wet leather gloves just wasn't working very well anymore." Getting hold of small diameter objects can be tough with arthritis.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

If he is willing to switch targets to something like a bag stuffed full of used shrink wrap. he will be able to pull them out with no trouble at all. You can use two fingers to remove them. I am sure that there are commercial target variations of this as well.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Wow I should have thought of that! I have a 3 lane shooting range in my back yard with exactly those kind of targets.

Thing is this is a x-mass gift, I think Kathy was more looking for brands that are better or types that work better than others.
    BHA Member

A Morrel target bag will allow arrows to be pulled with 2 fingers. My daughter, when she was 5, could pull my arrows (shot from a 70# compound) with ease.

This is the puller my kids use on the 3-D range http://www.lancasterarchery.com/prod...oducts_id=1179
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Right on! Thanks Doug.

Keep the options coming guys this will be very helpful.
    BHA Member

Default Puller

The round ball thing never worked for me. A jar lid opener, thin round rubber disk with little grippers worked better. Gloves with the little rubber grippers also work. Fletchers in Wasilla used to sell a wipe on compound that you just put on the front third of the arrow that worked too. A can of Lemon Pledge that you can just spray the front of the arrow between breaks might work too. At least the range might smell better.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Puller

Try a mouse pad. Just wrap and pull ! Cheap too.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

This'll do for sure....problem solved

Jack the Gripper

Seen 'em at Sportys and at 6.99, you cant go wrong...

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hunt AK there is something a bit disturbing about that one.......Bill would love it!
    BHA Member

Hunt AK there is something a bit disturbing about that one.......Bill would love it!
    Happy to help Let us know how it works for him...if you end up getting it...

I will ask Kathy to let us know how Bill likes whatever puller she decides on.
    BHA Member

did you get my pm on the danny miller arrow puller

I did.....Hey wait a minute your from some of my old stomping grounds! Where in Ontario are you?

Love fishing specks on the pancake and batchewana rivers, james bay is also beautiful!
    BHA Member

Default Device in hunt_ak's post (#11): handy and useful

A guy brought one to our ADF&G Field Day shoot, couple weeks ago.
    Wore it on his belt - out of the way, but when we had a few stuck arrows in those 3D targets, it was just the tool.

Easy to keep on hand and effective for the job.

I did.....Hey wait a minute your from some of my old stomping grounds! Where in Ontario are you?

Love fishing specks on the pancake and batchewana rivers, james bay is also beautiful!
    live between london and toronto it's about 11 hour to batchewana bay. i shot my first moose at the montreal river just down the road .we live in the middle of tobacco country here and lots of open farm land with mixed hardwoods

Been through your neck of the woods many times. Toronto is one of the few big cities I can actually tolerate, my X and I used to visit Toronto 4-5 time a year so she could "get a civilization fix." Still cant figure why, other than her butt, I ever married that woman!

The batchawana bay area was like a second home to me in college, cant count the times I pulled an all nighter to drive up and fish for the weekend. Used to have the topos for the whole river drainage on my living room wall.
    BHA Member

i try to pass threw T0 as little as i can we ice fish near barrie great yellow perch .also pasS on the way to thunderbay now to moose hunt .would love to shoot a moose up your way i think they are twice as big. in fact thats how i found this site someone had a link on another site of a big bull shot with a mathews bow.i see you guys don't alow crossbows but i make top quiver mounts for them called munchmounts.and have 2 of the excalibur bows i prefer to hunt with compound and bought a pse dreamseson this year it's a nice bow shot older pse thunderbolt fireflight and a hoyt before .most of our hunting in this area is whitetail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast