Thread: 40 mile to Yukon to Eagle

Default 40 mile to Yukon to Eagle

Need a little advice and guidance. I would like to float the 40 mile mid summer 2010. I am looking at 4-7 days. Will I have time to make it all the way to Eagle on a 7 day trip? What issues does the river present? Anyone have pictures of any standing hazards?

This is going to be a trip that I will take the wife and 9 yo grand daughter. We did a lot of rafting this past year with countless trips on the upper Kenai, Willow and little Willow, the Kink and Matanuska. All day trips with no overnights.

I plan on a few overnight close to home on small floats prior to heading out to the 40 mile. Just to insure that all equipment works and the wife and kiddo dont get shocked by a long stretch on the river, tent camping and no (Dare I say it) T.V.

I have got a bad case of the mid winter no rafting blues and we are not even close to open water. All I can do is look at my raft and dream. I am not above sitting in the rowers seat and having the wife through water at me, but apparently she is. So here I am reduced to planning and dreaming. Any advice would be great

We started at 75 mile, on the south fork river, very nice float, Its a long days float from the southfork bridge to the fortymile river bridge at mile 113

It's been 32 years since I've done it so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I do remember having to line our canoes through the canyon, down river from the forty mile river bridge about 30 miles I think, and we sank 4 or 5 times in rapids, they should be no problem in a raft. But be careful in the canyon almost every year some one drowns there. A miner I new drowned in the canyon 20 years ago, and he was in a raft.

When we went through there were 7 foot waves very steep, but it was no problem walking the left hand shore, lining the canoes. If I remember right the right hand side is to steep to walk on the shore.

Where are you planning on starting? We did a 7 day float from Fortymile Bridge (mile 113) to Eagle.It was only 5 float days, but the drive to & from Anchorage takes a full day each way. The water was very low & slow though, and higher water might have dropped a day off that.

Also, the canyon section drastically changed a few years ago. If the water is high it is a killer. At low to medium flows it is fairly placid though.

Here's a write up of my first trip: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page8.html

We also did the section between mile 76 and 113 in 4-5 float days. This is probably my favorite Alaskan float trip.

Default Thanks

First, thanks for the info. Secondly I am planning on two trips this year. The first one will be with the family as discussed but the second will be to hunt. The first trip will be from the first bridge, the one before Chicken.(Not sure what river mile) I will pull out before the canyon as I will have a kid and the wife with me. I dont want to scare them, or worse.

The second trip is still in the scouting stages. I think I am going to try to ATV into the back of Mount Fairplay and then float/hunt down to the second bridge. I believe that the bridge is at RM 113. I am not sure how do able this is but looking at google earth, it looks like the only problem would be log jams and sweepers.

I am looking at doing the first trip around the end of June or the first of July, and the second trip as late in the moose season as possible.

What kind of fish can I hope for? Any Trout?

Default 40 Mile

In June 2008 our scout troop floated the 40 mile from the bridge located about halfway between Chicken and Eagle, to the Yukon and then back to Eagle. In the canyon rapids our gear rafts plowed through without to much trouble but we flipped one raft and had people tossed out of another raft. We did this trip in four river days plus 2 days of driving to/from Anchorage. The last float day from the confluence of the 40 mile/Yukon to Eagle was a long day. The fishing wasn't very good but we did manage to catch some grayling along the way. To portage around the rapids would be very difficult as there is not a trail and just walking down to scout it and take pictures was tough walking.