Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage Cow Moose Hunt Story and Pics

Default Anchorage Cow Moose Hunt Story and Pics

Ever since I made my first trip up to the Glen Alps/Flat top area, I had thought about how much fun it would be if you could hunt moose up there. Then last spring when I was putting in for tags, I realized their was a McHugh Creek/Upper Campbell Creek Cow moose hunt. I've also spent a lot of time hiking McHugh to stay in shape, and I've always seen lots of moose. Odds were terribly low, but I figured if I didn't put in, I couldn't draw the tag.
    When the draw results came out, I was pretty excited to see I had pulled one of the Campbell Creek Moose tags. It was then when I actually looked at the map and realized this was the Glen Alps/Flat Top area.

For me, this was an ideal tag. The season didn't open until November, so it would not conflict with any other adventures I had planned. It was a muzzloader/shotgun hunt, but I had my scoped deer shotgun I had used for years in MN. Almost as important was it was less than 20 minutes from the house, and the hunt could be done for as cheap as an Alaska hunt gets. This was important as I had blown all my extra spending cash and then some on my sheep hunt.

As November approached, I made a few scouting trips and usually saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 moose. With only 6 tags total, I knew my odds were pretty high. A few good friends were also excited to go along on the hunt, and one of them ended up being out of state the first week of November, so I was pretty nervous about the moose moving out when I didn't hunt the first week. I checked the area midweek, and wasn't excited when I only saw a couple of bulls, but if there was a cow in there, I would be determined to find it.

The night before we were finally going to go, it started snowing, and we woke up to 6 inches of fresh snow. I was a little worried about them moving down into town, but upon arriving at the hunt area, we glassed a dozen moose from the parking lot on the opposite mountain. Where ever they had been midweek, they were back now, and all worries were erased. On the way to the dozen, we ran into another six moose a half mile closer, so we went after those. The first one we ran into was a small bull, and he walked past us unconcerned less than 20 yards away. These moose see hundreds of hikers, and I was feeling a little bad about just walking up to one and shooting it, but I think I found the only 2 nervous cows on the entire mountain. Once past the bull, we made our way for 2 cows that were up the mountain a ways in the alders. These cows saw us coming and made out of there like bandits, I couldn't believe it. Like an idiot, I ran after them, but it was steep uphill, and I could only run so fast. I would just about catch up for a shot, and they would take off again. This went on for almost half a mile, before I was able to get inside of 100 yards, but having the shotgun, I really wanted to be inside of 50. I finally was able to sneak to just over 50 yards, and took the shot.

She spun around when I shot, but just stood there. I didn't think there was any way I could have missed, and contemplated shooting again, but I really didn't want to mess up more meat. About the time I was really staring to wonder what the heck was going on, she fell over dead, and I had my first moose. The rest of the crew had fallen behind when I was chasing them, and when I finally turned around to check where they were at, there was another cow a few hundred yards behind me that was staring at them from plenty close, but she was now safe. Here I am with my first moose.

The weather at this point had completely cleared, and although it was cold, we had a picture perfect, calm sunny day to work in. Another advantage of a hunt close to town is we were able to get on the cell phone, and call in some more troops for the pack out. They were more than happy to leave work, and within a couple of hours showed up with a few more sleds.

Here is a shot of the crew looking up valley.

This next one is looking back towards Anchorage, with sleds loaded ready to head down.

And finally one at the parking lot/trailhead.

It was a great time shared by good friends and some of the best wild game eating I have ever had. That might be due to the fact we have mostly been eating backstrap and tenderloin, but I like to think the whole thing will be that good and tender. The other cool thing is that by the time we were on our way out, the place was full of cross-country skiers. Everyone we talked to was happy to hear our story, and seemed excited we got a moose. It's not often you see a guy with a shotgun on his back up there, with a crew pulling sledfulls of meat, but not one person gave us a dirty look, and that was nice. I doubt I'll ever pull the tag again, but it sure was fun to at least draw it once.

Default Congrats

great story and pictures. Thanks for sharring.

Man, that is just a fantastic hunt report. Congratulations on a successful harvest, and on a great time afield with friends!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

perfect!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Fun Stuff

Thats awesome! Nice job!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Another awsome story! What a year you had...

Default great story

Thanks for taking the time to share such a wonderful story with some nice deals. Looks like you have a great group of friends sharing a wonder event. The pictures were great! Congradulations

Thumbs up

What a way to cap off a great season! Thanks for the hunt report and great pictures looks like you have a good group of friends to help out with some heavy lifting/pulling.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default good post

congrats on your hunt, glad to hear you were successfull. glad that hear that there were no bad vibes from the other trail users. i'm sure you did the responsible thing and made sure that the parts left in the field were not going to cause a problem for any other users(ie; bears, wolves).

Congrats on the moose! Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Default That was great!

Thanks for sharing that! Great pictures and looks like a good time!

Congrats on the tag and especially your first moose! Yummy eats there!

A buddy of mine pulled this tag in 2007, I hunted with him, he killed a cow in the afternoon. Way too far in! After we had the quarters and backstraps off, and were beginning to take the neck and other trim, Mr Griz came in and informed us of other plans. Dragged that carcass off into the brush with ease, even though it wasn't gutted. I had the handgun out, but didn't need to use it. Was a spooky hike out in the dark, just the two of us! Cool experience to have in the memory bank, but not one I would ever wish on anyone.

Default cool

That's a big ol cow man, good thing for friends.

Congrats for sure. Sweet! Looks like you guys had a blast.

I have a hunt on the 15th coming up over on the fort to film. Be good to get out for the day...get a moose and bag a cup of coffee all by 5pm
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Awesome moose
    That looks like a great hunt with good friends, can't be beat!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Hey man!

Hey Jed,
    It's Cory, I am the one that met you the day you were up there scouting. I got your e-mail and the coordinates to the gut pile. I went up there two days in a row, but didnt get so much as a picture. The first day in there I saw a coyote from a ways off and by the time I found the pile I realized that he was on it when I first saw him. That was the only animal I was able to see there. There was at least one bear, a huge griz judging by the tracks that hit it at night and hauled most of it off that first day. The second day I didnt spend alot of time up there because there wasnt much left. Congrats on such a nice cow and a very cool hunt.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Hey Cory,
    I was wondering if you ever made it up there. I saw the tracks of a big old brown bear up there a few days before we hunted. It was not a bear I would have wanted a confrontation with. Too bad you didn't get any pictures though. I would have been fine with you approaching him and taking some good pics, but I wanted nothing to do with him. The size of his toes was enough to scare me

Default Did I miss it?

What type of barrel/shells were you using? Very interested, as I would love to draw on one of those antlerless black powder/shotgun hunts and would need to outfit my old 870 accordingly.

The gun is a winchester 1300 with a fully rifled barrel. It is topped with a
    2-7 Leuplod Vari-X II. For slugs I was shooting Hornady SSTs. They are pushing a 300 grain bullet at 2000fps, which packs a lot more punch than the slugs of the old days. I have also had good luck with the Winchester Supremes. I have been shooting that setup since I was 12 years old, and have taken a solid number of whitetails with it. It felt pretty good though to take aim at a moose - slightly larger vitals than a whitetail.

Stoked for you! Love it.

Wish they'd double it to a dozen tags and let's get rid of some of these city moose.

Congrat's,

Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast