Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaints Against ****** *******, Former Sealer in Craig Alaska

Angry Complaints Against ****** *******, Former Sealer in Craig Alaska

On May 20th 2009, I shot a black bear on POW and took it to ********* the ADFG sealer in Craig, AK on POW. For $190 ******, through her business, *********** agreed to flesh the hide, and turn the eyes, ears, lips, etc and then ship the hide and skull to my taxidermist. When asked, she said the hide would be delivered in 2 months. After 6+ months and no reasonalbe explanation as to what happened to my bear hide and skull, I began corresponding with the ADF&G Wildlife Conservation office. An individual from that office informs me that "****** is no longer our sealer. We are now involved to the point of going into ******* freezers and trying to make sense of her books." While I have little hope of ever recovering my hide and skull, I'm curious as to whether or not others have had similar experiences with **************. I know of at least one other person who never received their bear skull. Regardless of the outcome of my particular situation, I am glad that the ADF&G Wildlife Conservation office is taking steps to sort out the mess in Craig.
    Last edited by Brian M; 12-08-2009 at 17:07. Reason: names removed per forum rules

The LLC probably says it all,good luck

Join the club. I'n here in Craig and know a number of folks (my kid included) that have had hides lost, misplaced, thrown away or who knows what. I stopped in there one day and she had a lot of bear hides strewn about the floor of her shop. The place reaked of rotting hides. I spoke with the troopers and they said its not their issue. As long as hides are sealed and meat is treated as required no game violation has taked place. Seeing your note has lit a fire, I'm going over there tomorrow and see if I can't dig through her freezers and try to find my kids hide.

Folks, please read the forum rules under the FAQ before posting further on this subject. We do not allow negative comments about individuals or businesses due to liability. You may contact the original poster via the private message system if you would like more information.

Might consider doing or learning to take care of the hides yourself. Not that hard and certainly part of the experience (at least can be).
    Joe (Ak)

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Folks, please read the forum rules under the FAQ before posting further on this subject. We do not allow negative comments about individuals or businesses due to liability. You may contact the original poster via the private message system if you would like more information.
    Brian, it would seem to me that if someone was offically removed from being allow to be a sealer, that should constitute allowing that name to be provided.

ibohnt,
    Sorry to hear that you are having a similar problem. Can you send me a PM or an e-mail to walter.ross@hotmail.com regarding what you know or find out about this matter? I'd suggest taking a camera if you make another visit. I'm also interested to know more about your converstaion with the troopers? When did you speak with them and what was the context? Please respond in a PM or e-mail as I do want to respect the rules of the forum

Brian M,
    My appologies for not being more familiar with the rules. I will refrain from using names and businesses. Thank you for correcting my post.

Just received a PM from another hunter who states at least three others haven't received their hides from this particular individual.

I'm sure there are many others out there who don't have any information regarding the situation in Craig.

I have it on good report that the ADF&G is involved. My suggestion is that anyone impacted by this situation should contact
    Region 1 - Southeast Regional Office

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    Division of Wildlife Conservation
    P.O. Box 110020
    Douglas, AK 99811-0020
    (907) 465-4265 phone
    (907) 465-4272 fax

Rod Flynn, Regional Supervisor
    (rod.flynn@alaska.gov)

I may be of some help with this. I drive by the shop everyday. If anyone who has dropped off a hide there and has their sealing number I can check through her stuff with her and see if I can find it. Good chance it is buried in a freezer. I'll give you guys a few days to PM your info to me and I'll go over there and see what I can find. If you don't know your sealing number call her and have her look it up in her books. 907-826-2172

Me and my buddies were betting that she was running some sort of ponzi scheme with the bear hides. I can't imagine too many people actually got back the hide they brought in.

My kid shot a bear things spring. We brought it by and she had bear hides laying all over her front yard. Most were rotting out in the sun. Flies, smell, and pure filth. I can't believe her neighbors put up with that. Anyways, I told her exactly what I wanted. When I went to leave, I asked her how she'd know which hide was mine.. She looked confused and said, "Oh, you want it back?" Crazy...

Default Taxidermist Issues

ADFG is involved with this issue. Please contact the offices in Craig 907.826.2561 or Ketchikan 907.225.2475 if you or someone you know is missing bear parts. We are compiling a list hunters affected and are working hard to come to some resolution.

Thanks Fullcurl I spoke with Boyd this evening about our 3 if you remember me and one of my buddies ran into you in May fishing one of your favorite high country cutthroat trout lakes. I was the dummy in the devil thorn bushes thinking I was gonna get a pic of the bear down on the lake! LOL Hope to hear something soon good or bad hopefully good news! Thanks for what you all are doing it means so much to us trust me. If you need me I can be reached at brownbear932008@yahoo.com we should be on the list though 3 Virginia boys. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    My kid shot a bear things spring. We brought it by and she had bear hides laying all over her front yard. Most were rotting out in the sun. Flies, smell, and pure filth. I can't believe her neighbors put up with that. Anyways, I told her exactly what I wanted. When I went to leave, I asked her how she'd know which hide was mine.. She looked confused and said, "Oh, you want it back?" Crazy...
    That's when you should have turned around and demanded your hide back. Even if it was a joke you should have not put up with it.

Chris112

Default Mess in Craig

Spoke with an ADF&G guy on the phone today. ADF&G is trying to inventory all "bear parts" and once a list is compiled they will start to contact the concerned individuals. I've received PMs from several individuals that indicate this is a real mess that is being addressed. I have to say that from where I sit the people I've spoken with are doing their very best to sort this mess out.

For those impacted, fullcurl, provides phone numbers for ADF&G in Ketchikan and Craig.

This afternoon I put a call into an investigator at the office in anchorage where this person received a business license.

I hope those impacted contact the right authorities to ensure this individual doesn't skate without consequences.

Used to use Skip, before he passed away.

As a guide on POW I use this sealer all the time and she has done me well . That being said I always do all the work and salt the hides or if I don't have time freeze them and send them back as luggage in fish boxes with clients. This is cheaper and they can send hides to whatever taxidermist they want. a sealer is not a taxidermist and as far as I know she is the only sealer in Craig area. You should either do all the work or seal the hide and take it to someone who can do it far you in Ketchikan or lower 48. Not to sound like you didn't get a bad deal certainly did but small town Alaska is not like the lower 48 and got to check things out.Hope it works out for everyone involved . If Craig loses the only sealer in the area will be a problem for me and every one hunting the Island because can't leave the State without sealing hide.
    James Phillips Alaskan Guide Baranof Island Prince of Wales

Default Craig Sealer

In this case the sealer was also a taxidermist. She is no longer an ADFG sealer and is no longer processing bear hides. There is a new sealer in Craig (PM for contact info) who also is a taxidermist. In addition there are sealers in Thorne Bay, Coffman Cove, Whale Pass & Point Baker. Bears can also be sealed at any ADFG office including Craig & Ketchikan. And finally the troopers can seal bear hides if time and staffing permits. So there are several options for getting bears from POW sealed, sometimes not convenient options but that's the nature of small towns.

ADFG is still working on the issues with the former sealer/taxidermist and hope to have information for hunters that are involved soon. Please continue to contact Craig or Ketchikan ADFG offices 907.826.2561 & 907.225.2475 if you are currently missing bear parts from this former sealer/taxidermist.

Wow I wasn't aware of the many options on getting the bears sealed Fullcurl. That is some good info to have. I thought the island only had one or it had to go over to ketchikan to get sealed. Thanks!

Default I got mine

It took months and many calls but I got my 2008 spring bear hide/skull. I have heard many bad stories since. It took a year for her to ship it. My taxidermist still has it, wondering if it is even mine!

FULLCURL,
    Any updates from Craig?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast