Thread: safety class help

Default safety class help

I've been asked to give a snow machining safety class to my unit and I was wondering if anybody wants to help out. I'll have to put together a power point class that covers all the basics. Keep in mind that this class will be geared towards mainly first time riders.
    1. Safety gear (helmet, gloves, goggles, tow rope, etc)
    2. Where to ride, terrain and dangers to watch for (cliffs, overflow, avalanches, etc)
    3. Types of snow machines
    4. Snow machine maintenance (make sure they know how to change belt etc before going out)
    5. General smart things to do.
    (Ride with a buddy, no drugs or alcohol, trip planning, survival gear)

If anybody would like to add anything please respond back with your recommendations. If you have pictures of what not to do (wrecks etc) it would spice up my class.
    Thanks

Thumbs up Just what we need!!!

You should attend the Snow tract meeding inthe atwood building in downtown Anchorage on Thurs. a nd Fri. This is just t he kind of in put we need!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I've been asked to give a snow machining safety class to my unit and I was wondering if anybody wants to help out. I'll have to put together a power point class that covers all the basics. Keep in mind that this class will be geared towards mainly first time riders.
    1. Safety gear (helmet, gloves, goggles, tow rope, etc)
    2. Where to ride, terrain and dangers to watch for (cliffs, overflow, avalanches, etc)
    3. Types of snow machines
    4. Snow machine maintenance (make sure they know how to change belt etc before going out)
    5. General smart things to do.
    (Ride with a buddy, no drugs or alcohol, trip planning, survival gear)

If anybody would like to add anything please respond back with your recommendations. If you have pictures of what not to do (wrecks etc) it would spice up my class.
    Thanks
    Check with Elmendorf Wildlife guys(Mark). I know at one time when I was working with the club we had a great power point and a good lesson plan(5 years ago when I retired they had it).

Any help needed for the class it's self let me know. I have the mechanical part covered well>>>>>actually very well. I also have a couple of different machines that I can bring for demo of belt change and maintenance.

I have a pretty vast knowledge on riding areas. My last few years I have spent alot of time with my teen daughter and learning/teaching her about river travel and winter survival. We also have been involved with trail medical emergencies, to include calling in Medevac, landing area prep, 1st aid plus, etc.

Also get with someone to teach basic winter survival technics. Shelters, fire starting, gps use and the proper DATUMS for Alaska, map/compass use, cold water immersion, that should give you some good ideas.

I have given up trying to get people to carry survival gear. They know nothing will ever happen to them. That said, If they have 3- auto flairs, 6- large plastics bags, headlight using AA battery, a snow shovel and a warm hat. It will give them a fighting chance; To be seen and spend the night.