Thread: Yakutat steelhead?

Default Yakutat steelhead?

Hey guys just trying to get some info on the spring steelhead run on the situk. A few friends and I are putting together a trip in the spring and plan on flying in to yakutat, taking a cab to the trailhead and hiking in. have any of you done this before? any information regarding that area will be helpful, where to go, where NOT to go, ect....

Wink

A cab ride to the top or bottom is $100 each way. You could be better off renting a car from Situk Leasing. I think your best bet is hiking in from the botton and fishing your way up. If there is allot of snow on the ground it can be tough going. Was up there in the 1st week of May this year and there was still three feet of snow. Keep an eye on the Situk Fly SAhop blog for current info (http://www.situk.net/river_reports_index.htm).

Good Luck
    Dave
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Thanks Dave,

I checked out the fly shop blog it looks like last year the 2nd and 3rd week of may had great fishing. The weather was warm and the snow was gone. Maybe I will shoot for the 2nd week of May. As for the cab ride thats an expensive one, your right I might as well rent a vehicle. \

Daniel

Sounds like a plan to me!!! Check out my video at: http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...57789e2a2f2c9d

Dave

Wait until you see the vehicles they rent in Yakutat. The last one I rented was an old King County utility van from Seattle. It worked, but you won't attract many girls. I am attaching a photo of a bear paw print I found while fishing the Italio, near the Situk.

My first trip we got a van that looked like the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo. When we opened it up, we thought sweet, this bad boy has green shag carpet.....it was solid moss covered!! AWESOME!!!!

Hopefully you get a vehicle that windshield wipers work, we got one another time that didn't, tough driving down there without those.

GOOD TIMES!!! Memories that will last forever!!
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    My first trip we got a van that looked like the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo. When we opened it up, we thought sweet, this bad boy has green shag carpet.....it was solid moss covered!! AWESOME!!!!

Hopefully you get a vehicle that windshield wipers work, we got one another time that didn't, tough driving down there without those.

GOOD TIMES!!! Memories that will last forever!!
    Been there, done that!! Back in 1990 rented a van in Yak that had no engine cover, asked the rental office for a cover and they said "oh...you don't want that, if you go up a hill you have to choke the carberator with your hand to keep it running. That's why there is no air cleaner either"

"GOOD TIMES!!! Memories that will last forever!!"

Thumbs down Bring lots of $$$$ ......and flies!

my wife and I did this trip for a week and had a blast. It did cost of each $1000 for 6 days in Yak. That was two nights in the glacier bear $140 night--sherice was very helpful in tips advice, etc. THree day boat rental $200 a day plus $75 launch and $75 take out Two day rental car 100 day plus 100 extra tow fee( would not recommend situk leasing-- gave us a bald tire vehicle that got stuck, owner was a not nice guy to deal with ) use leos instead. All in all it was an awesome trip and we both can't wait to do it again. We learned the yakutat way is an expensive way. Go in with buddies to split the cost up.

I'd bring firewood if you want it--non available locally--only dead trees are ok to burn. I'd get a taxi to the upper landing and just camp out with all the other guys and fish around there. or rent a boat and camp a few nights on the river--anyway you cut it its gonns cost you. They know why you are there and they have you as a captive until your flight leaves. The guy at the fly shop is really informative and helpful. Its fun to read the river updates on his site. Bring everything you can---even propane and camp fuel which Ak Air won't allow is $$$. I wish they gave residents of Ak a discount--but I guess they gotta make their living too

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I guess I will try to avoid the scooby doo mystery van! I will keep you guys posted on what I decide to do and how the trip goes.

If anyone else has any advice feel free to give your 2 cents.

Thanks,
    Daniel

-Be prepared to be cold and wet
    -Respect the fish the river and your fellow anglers
    -2 cases of beer ducted taped together weighs ~50 pounds

See you there maybe
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I did 7 days for less then $150 (mileage ticket).

I would say go with the cab but stay at 9 mile bridge in a tent. you have lots of fishable river to fish and you end up meeting lots of cool people (I got offered a beer whithin an hour of making it to the river) just make sure you have all you need to stay out if you are going to get a ride to the river because its hard to get back into town.

good luck and hopefully I'll see you out on the river

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    I did 7 days for less then $150 (mileage ticket).

I would say go with the cab but stay at 9 mile bridge in a tent. you have lots of fishable river to fish and you end up meeting lots of cool people (I got offered a beer whithin an hour of making it to the river) just make sure you have all you need to stay out if you are going to get a ride to the river because its hard to get back into town.

good luck and hopefully I'll see you out on the river
    I've done the same a couple of times. It can be done very cheap. Last time I made it there (2007) it rained like hell the whole time and camping sucked, but the fishing is good.

You could also hike in down by Situk Landing and camp out on the lower river. Usually less people down there.

Bring as much food and booze as you can fit in your bags....Everything in YAK is crazy expensive.

Don't get crazy tying a bunch of fancy flies...you'll just lose em all. I just tie quick and easy glo bugs with yarn in an egg loop as I need em. Throw in some leeches for low-light fishing and your set. Maybe a few smolt patterns too.

Oh yeah...the vans are AWESOME!
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    my wife and I did this trip for a week and had a blast. It did cost of each $1000 for 6 days in Yak. That was two nights in the glacier bear $140 night--sherice was very helpful in tips advice, etc. THree day boat rental $200 a day plus $75 launch and $75 take out Two day rental car 100 day plus 100 extra tow fee( would not recommend situk leasing-- gave us a bald tire vehicle that got stuck, owner was a not nice guy to deal with ) use leos instead. All in all it was an awesome trip and we both can't wait to do it again. We learned the yakutat way is an expensive way. Go in with buddies to split the cost up.

I'd bring firewood if you want it--
    Situk Leasing is owned by the Yakutat lodge....that's why they suck Never used Leo's though

There's a couple of cuts on the way to the bridge where you can get plenty of firewood.....might need some gas to get it to light though.....it is SE The camp ground at the bridge has been stripped of anything burnable.
    Nice Marmot.

We're planning on doing the Situk thing again this year.

Right now we're looking at the May 23rd time frame. Last year we went around April 28th, and the fishing was never hot. We did catch fish, but you had to work for them. There was even some guides who were getting skunked.

We stayed at the Yakutat Lodge. The hugest rip-off in history. I would not recommend that place to anyone. (False Advertising)

We ended up renting a car from Situk Leasing. Got a decent Ford Expedition for the 2 of us. Only thing that sucked about the car was it had two heat settings. Off and ROASTING, and it was sunny and warm the whole time we were there.

This year we've got a buddy from Yak who is gonna hook us up with free housing and a vehicle. May be upwards of 9 of us going. We plan on mostly hiking in, but want to float it a day or two.

Definately good memories to be had. Bob Miller at the Situk Fly Shop is a wealth of knowledge and wont do you wrong....He loves to chat, so make sure you stop by him.

The last couple of years the spring steelheed run on the Situk has been a little late. No doubt about that but what happens if the run is on time or even a little early this year? I guess that I would try to wait as late as possible before buying those airline tickets to see what the weather, snow depth, water temp, and water depth is before taking a risk that the run will be on the late side again. But, then again, you will avoid most of the crowds by waiting until late May and there should be some dollies, early sockeye, and some steelhead around so...