Thread: 20A Access

Default 20A Access

Good afternoon,
    I'm considering putting in for DC 827 for caribou. The hunt area is 20A. I am hoping to make this a quality experience for my son and myself if we draw a permit. My question to the "knowledge bank" on the forum is regarding access..... Is there decent ATV/foot access into the area where you can potentially find caribou? I'm not asking for specific info but am wondering if there is any ATV access and if a guy does his homework can he figure out how to make it work. I've spent quite a bit of time hunting in other parts of the state but not 20A.
    I'm familiar with the issues Ferry trail etc. so I'm hoping to find access that is reasonable.
    Feel free to PM me if there is info you do not wish to share with everyone.

Thanks much in advance, my son and I appreciate it.

Brian

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    Good afternoon,
    I'm considering putting in for DC 827 for caribou. The hunt area is 20A. I am hoping to make this a quality experience for my son and myself if we draw a permit. My question to the "knowledge bank" on the forum is regarding access..... Is there decent ATV/foot access into the area where you can potentially find caribou? I'm not asking for specific info but am wondering if there is any ATV access and if a guy does his homework can he figure out how to make it work. I've spent quite a bit of time hunting in other parts of the state but not 20A.
    I'm familiar with the issues Ferry trail etc. so I'm hoping to find access that is reasonable.
    Feel free to PM me if there is info you do not wish to share with everyone.

Thanks much in advance, my son and I appreciate it.

Brian
    Brian this is a HARD to access hunt......there is only ONE real spot you can take and atv to find caribou and that coridoor is extreamly limited and rough............. if oyu draw this tag and question the area biologist Don Young out of Fairbanks he too will tell you this is considered a FLY in hunt.. the average success is less the 5 percent........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Brian this is a HARD to access hunt......there is only ONE real spot you can take and atv to find caribou and that coridoor is extreamly limited and rough............. if oyu draw this tag and question the area biologist Don Young out of Fairbanks he too will tell you this is considered a FLY in hunt.. the average success is less the 5 percent........
    Spoken like a person putting in for this hunt this draw go around. That said I completely agree. The hunt is VERY tough to access.

This is not a great hunt if you are looking for ATV access. 40 Mile herd might be a better bet.

Thumbs up

Access is excellent. Focus your effort on the Parks Hwy along the 20A Southern boundary, then along the road until you can't access it because of the river blocking you. It is common to see them from the road along this stretch. You can also venture up on foot in some of the drainages along this stretch and do well. Usually earlier the better in the season. They are a resident herd and don't migrate, but do move around some. Anybody without atvs or horses should consider this hunt. Pretty easy to do and not too many people do it, as it is often overlooked and people are just speeding along through this stretch.

Next best bet is in on the Ferry Trail or one of the other lesser known trails that lead into the unit. But that requires horses or atvs. Best to just shoot them along side the road. Most folks don't stop and look around long enough in that stretch of highway, to really know what is there. You can also take moose and sheep from the same location.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Spoken like a person putting in for this hunt this draw go around. That said I completely agree. The hunt is VERY tough to access.
    i am honest .... i did put a few members last fall on to bou.. but there really is ONLY one place to access this herd with an ATV.... ROAD ACCESS is not an option unless your in unit 13.. and it may only be afew animals with an atv...the south end is walk in yanert CUA... up into the mountians.. this herd summers in the top end of 13 cuts across the 20 mts, towards Delts. rex trail is the LAST place to look for bou and the ferry trail has not seen any except sping in several years now... the herd is in decline and has lost quite a few of its numbers to the Nelchina herd.. the last few years. come to an AC meeting lot of info on these herds
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default email

Hey Brian,

drop me an email at alaskagoulds@gmail.com

we can talk

Greg

Default good job; research first, submit application second

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    Good afternoon,
    I'm considering putting in for DC 827 for caribou. The hunt area is 20A. I am hoping to make this a quality experience for my son and myself if we draw a permit. ...
    Great job looking for a way to hunt it before submitting your application. While always smart, its especially a good idea on this hunt. A large number of people that draw that exact rare permit throw it away when they discover how hard access is (F&G publishes the number that did throw it away).

While I can't help you, someone here might be able to.

Default 20A Bo

Brian,

I agree with Vince but then maybe that is because I hunt the same general area as him. I run into caribou hunters every year when I am there hunting moose and it is always the same question ... have you seen any caribou? I did talk to a guy year before last that had flown the area a couple of days earlier and saw some on one of the mountain ridges. He was asking me how he could get up there with his atv. Told him he would have to figure out a way to carry it.

Randy

Smile Thanks

Thanks to everyones input. Especially to FamilyMan... I refuse to even apply for a permit that I may not be able to use. Maybe that's why I've never drawn a permit in this state, ever, in many years of applying. I only apply for the one or two permits that I could feasibly do.

I appreciate all the info. Now time for more research.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Brian