Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD RANT' I copied over on new"magnums"

Post GOOD RANT' I copied over on new"magnums"

Seems there's a whole generation that haven't the privilege of remembering when Colonel Wesson was hunting (and successfully killing) just about anything that walked on North America....... with a (then new) .357 Magnum.... then I quote;"the most powerful handgun cartridge in the world!";.... it's not been that many years ago, and a whole host of gun scribes of the day hailed the .357 as the kills all of handgun cartridges! * Some police departments even declared that it was & I quote; entirely too much gun for police work!

So, when the .44 magnum came out, WOW! *The world's toughest critters were in a BAD way! *This new hand held artillery needed wheels! *The .357 was all an outdoorsman could ask for, and what, with such power of the .44 magnum, nothing on earth was safe! *Beware too the unmanageable recoil turned up by this new boomer with it's 250 grain bullet doing 1400 fps from a revolver!

Has the game we hunt gotten tougher? *No! *Have the shots gotten longer? No! *Have the ammo or loading components become less effective? *No! *

It's just that the "writers" of today are pushing for the bigger, the meaner, the faster and the more lucrative (READ $$)! * If we truly used what was effective, then all the major gun companies would go broke! *There are enough guns in circulation right now to arm every adult in America with a very efficient, effective game harvesting firearm! *Nope, we need to relegate those existing pieces of fine workmanship to collector status, and make sure that everyone understands that their functional value ebbed away .several decades ago! *We all need new guns since our old ones won't do the job anymore!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-08-2009 at 12:26.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Thats what writers do and it seems to work very well

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i agree we all NEED new guns....... i will keep the not working part out of the equation... and let them keep thinking that eh?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey!... It's the American way!! Mo bigga, mo betta.... Lets build a better mouse trap... "there's got to be a better way..", etc, etc, etc... or... "HEY!! I've got an idea!!"...

Default When I think of all the new gun

purchases justified to the wife by "It's a better cartridge than my (insert caliber of presently owned rifle closest to the new one here)" I have to consider all new cartridges a blessing!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

If all the wives, and girl friends hear about this we're doomed...........ARGHHHH.

....does this mean I gotta give up my "20mm Cannon" revolver I just ordered?????

Really, when you manufacture a product with an effective lifespan of generations the only way to generate additional sales is to make you unsatisfied with what you've already got...

I guess I just don't have the facisination with the "new" guns and cartridges that most seem to have. My main hunting rifle is a M70 in 300H&H built in 1952. My favorite 22s are a S&W K22 a Ruger MK1 target and a 1919 Savage NRA. For bunnies and such either a M92 Win in 25/20 or a savage 22/410. My duck gun is an 870Rem built in the 60s. Long range varmits a Rem 77V in 223. Carry handguns, M28 S&W, Ballister Molina, or Ruger 41Mag. For bears and such, a 358Norma in a P14 enfield. None of this is the newest, biggest, baddest but all seem to still kill things fairly well. Most of my guns are made of blued steel and wood not plastic and I like it that way. Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways.

Default Maybe

I suppose the same argument could be made against new lines of rifle cartridges. And nope animals aren't a bit tougher today than they were when cave men killed them with sticks and rocks.
    Firearms are however akin to cars in that you can't uninvent speed or hold back the newer technologies . And in a free-market society if it's out there and it's the lastest & greatest, THERE IS a market for it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I haven't purchased a "magnum" sidearm yet, still waiting for the cost of the .600 Nitro revolver to come down a few grand...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Yeh !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I haven't purchased a "magnum" sidearm yet, still waiting for the cost of the .600 Nitro revolver to come down a few grand...
    When the "NEW" 458 Lott, Ruger revolver comes out; I'm gonna have to get me one.!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Been looking all my life but have yet to see a gun I couldn't love. I'm happy with one woman but will always play the field when it comes to guns!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How many guns do I have?

At least one less than I want..um, I mean need.

I'm in an easier place to justify a new super-magnum hand cannon than probably most of you are - I don't have one at all. I've got the Para hi-cap 1911 on order. Justification for that one is the fact that it is a commemorative pistol for my current deployment with laser inscriptions on the slide. Everyone knows though that the 45 ACP is not a bear stopper, therefore I can justify the eventual purchase of a big wheel gun in XX caliber. I have been eying the 460 S&W, but I realize I could save a few hundered dollars by going with a BFR in 450 Marlin. I've already got all the loading components for that since I have the 1895M. Decisions, decisions. I hope my wife doesn't see this thread.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Lots of hunters carried a 1911 after around 1920 as a back up gun in Alaska,GI ball ammo too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I'm in an easier place to justify a new super-magnum hand cannon than probably most of you are - I don't have one at all. I've got the Para hi-cap 1911 on order. Justification for that one is the fact that it is a commemorative pistol for my current deployment with laser inscriptions on the slide. Everyone knows though that the 45 ACP is not a bear stopper, therefore I can justify the eventual purchase of a big wheel gun in XX caliber. I have been eying the 460 S&W, but I realize I could save a few hundered dollars by going with a BFR in 450 Marlin. I've already got all the loading components for that since I have the 1895M. Decisions, decisions. I hope my wife doesn't see this thread.
    Heck just get all three!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Been looking all my life but have yet to see a gun I couldn't love. I'm happy with one woman but will always play the field when it comes to guns!
    Guns don't get jealous of other guns! The more the merrier.

Andy, I like the way you think! My wife.....not so much. Actually, I'm pretty blessed in that area. I've never had to work very hard to convince her I needed something. My bank account usually has the final word, though.

Will - The 44 mag didn't come out until the 50's. Back in the 20's the 45 ACP was likely one of the best options available. I would still feel undergunned facing a grizz with one. Sure, it might work if you place your shots exactly right, but today there are better tools for the job.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default I'm right on schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Lots of hunters carried a 1911 after around 1920 as a back up gun in Alaska,GI ball ammo too.
    See, I'm just a little behind the times. My wife says I'm a little slow, so now it all makes sense.
    Almost 90 years behind. I know for a fact I was born 100 years too late.
    I have decided we don't live life as it was intended and all these hand canons just add to my uneasyness.
    If its not a pistol that will knock the tracks off a tank, its a new digital high deff tv, or a new cell phone with a 267 page manual, Or a friggin four wheeler with electronic fuel injection, and the list goes on.
    When will it all stop or will "we the sheeple"continue this buying freenzy that got is this finacial claptrap in the first place.
    Like the last generation that lived thru a depression said "if it aint broke, don't fix it" Less is more...

Although before I start these new thoughts into action, I HAVE to go down and buy one of those puma carbines in .357, just one more won't hurt...

Default Economic stimulus

Just think of buying a new gun as doing your part in the economic stimulus plan to put everyone back to work.

After all - who are we gonna believe in?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast