Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Long Underwear?

Default Best Long Underwear?

I figure you guys in Alaska should not the ins and outs of long underwear. I have a winter hunting trip coming up and the current temps are averaging minus 15 for the low.

What kind of long underwear are the warmest? Wool, poly, cotton? Quilted, unquilted, etc.. If you could make recommendations from the Cabelas catalog, that would help a lot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joecool911 View Post
    I figure you guys in Alaska should not the ins and outs of long underwear. I have a winter hunting trip coming up and the current temps are averaging minus 15 for the low.

What kind of long underwear are the warmest? Wool, poly, cotton? Quilted, unquilted, etc.. If you could make recommendations from the Cabelas catalog, that would help a lot!!!
    I've been rocking to Duofold line of poly tops/bottoms for years. It doesn't wick like some other brands but it's always been a good base layer.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by joecool911 View Post

Depending upon expected activity level I use one of the various Under Armour base layer systems. In all my years in the field I've never been as comfortable in any other system, but you need to choose the right one. If I am active at all in cold weather I choose their basic Cold Gear line, but they have more effective systems if you are hunting in a stand, riding a snow machine, etc. Under Armour keeps my skin dry and that is essential to staying warm.

You may want to have this thread moved or at least post this again in the hunting forum. You'll probably get more responses there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    You may want to have this thread moved or at least post this again in the hunting forum. You'll probably get more responses there.

Done!!

Anyways, I used to run duofold for years. I liked it alright. Well atleast right up until I tried my first merino wool base layer. Then it was all over. Much softer and more comfy against the skin then polypro IMO. Dries quickly and doesn't stink up after hiking in it for a week, try doing that with polypro.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Done!!

Anyways, I used to run duofold for years. I liked it alright. Well atleast right up until I tried my first merino wool base layer. Then it was all over. Much softy and more comfy against the skin then polypro IMO. Dries quickly and doesn't stink up after hiking in it for a week, try doing that with polypro.
    My daughter is getting me a set of Minus -33 for Christmas and am anxious to give it a try. The right-ups sure sound good.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    My daughter is getting me a set of dependsMinus -33 for Christmas and am anxious to give it a try. The pull-ups sure sound good.
    i like the sitka base layer with a mid range polar tech... i will have a mt hardwar or klim fleece over those with my arcterx gortex snow bibs.. on my upper a cold gear shirt with the sitka base shirt. and fleece pull over and my coat. at -15 i break a sweat walking so may carry my coat. to slipp into sitting. a light hat beenie typ to walk in and my warm one for sitting in.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I bought a sitka zip t core from camofire. It seems to get stinky after a day or two at the most. My other poly (X System and Medalist) with silver don't smell 1/2 as bad after a week. Isn't the Sitka using silver too? Anyone else using sitka vs .... noticed this?

Only reason to go polypro is if you can't aford merino or are alergic to it.

Default dressing for the cold

I've worked in some of the sloopiest snow you've ever seen sleet flying side ways 0 visability.
    Cold is bad wet cold is even more fun. I have silks I love very much, i've worn cotton as well. Having been in Search and rescue , I learned this valuable lesson , in the event of a fire organics don't stick to the skin.
    this from personal expirence. I knew it but never took it seriously till my own event. Fortunately I had cotton long johns on and the extent of my injuries were minimized because of the cotton. One does not pick life's emergencies they happen . Now some one recently told me that bathing ones feet in tea significantly reduces odor, I might just try soaking my long johns in tea or taking a bath in it any way, and giving it a try , what could I loose ?
    th other thing that seems to help is adding zink to ones diet . The product Cold eze works with zink . Check it out .

Default my choice

XGO's layer 2 and layer 4. love em
    They do sell flame resistant ones

Default "...Wool, poly, cotton? Quilted, unquilted, etc."

Because demands in the field can vary a lot, I usually take a pros/cons approach to packing clothing. Main factors in my mind are: expected temps and expected exertion levels.

1. Cotton: doesn't melt in a fire and is soft and comfy when weather's warm. But doesnt dry well. Wet often = cold.
    2. Polypropylene: Dries fast. Some insulation when wet. But, often gets smelly (not everyone cares) and like Arleigh says... melts near flame. I usually bring one set in case the weather is unseasonably warm - which can happen in both August and September.
    3. Wool: merino has made wool much more appealing. Retains warmth when wet. Dries slower than polypro. Costs more. Doesn't smell much with daily wear. This has become my go-to base layer in cold weather: 1 for days, a second set for sleep.
    4. Silk - Don't know. Some experienced friends swear by it.

No experience with quilted base layers, but the best application might be a low-exertion, cold weather outing. Should be several threads in the Gear forum on base layers too. The Advanced Search function works best.

Good luck!

Default Military Issue Polypro

I never thought much of the polypro until this past October. Temps were hovering around +20, fishing in my hip boots, when i stepped in a hole and filled my boots up with water. I had gone too far to cancell my fishing trip (why you would ever do that is beyond me) so i took my boots off, dumped them out and put them back on. I had cotton socks on my feet, Polypro bottoms, and carhartt jeans on. So after getting back in the water (Clearwater River in Delta Jct.), i fished for about 45 minutes before my chest felt so tight that i couldnt breath. I stumbled (litterally) to my truck. All the while i could feel the heat coming off my legs. I sat in the truck for about 45 minutes and i was warm and dry, thanks to my Polypro's. Thanks Uncle Sam!!
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Patagonia

I have had very good luck with Patagonia base layers, both capilene and regulator series. Both come in 4 different thicknesses. I like the capilene 2 or 3 for summer use, and regulator 1 or 2 for late fall. I imagine the R4 would be great for extreme cold use.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Cabelas Polartec

When it is that cold I love a pair of the Cabelas Military Weight Power Stretch Union Bibs over a silk top and bottom base layer. The silk keeps the sweat off your skin and the polartec dries incredible quik. I love the union suit because it keeps your back covered when moving around.

Default 2 kinds..

A good quality poly and "smart wool" work for me.

Default Wool/poly

The makers of wool undergarments (like minus 33) say it dries faster than poly

I have the Cabela's heavy weights MTD or MTP, there brown poly pros and thick. I have heard about poly pros having smell or body order after use, but these MTP from Cabale's have a order blocking or bacteria killing stuff in the garmant. Seems to work. I still stink. Warm stuff. Don't use them if you are going to be moving. Walking into your stand is ok, then sit for hours. Don't try and stalk or track for any distance or length of time you will get hot, overheated and soon quit.
    Price seems high to compared to others. Mine are 8 years old and still in use. I blew the crouch out twice. The second time my wife sewed in a piece of camo polar fleece and my BOYS have more room now! The pants are brown with camo in the junk zone. Happy turtle.

Default Underarmor

From hunting ducks in the teens to elk hunting above 9000 ft. in november in Colorado is a great product.

Default X Go's

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    XGO's layer 2 and layer 4. love em
    They do sell flame resistant ones

They are nice!,I got some of them for Christmas, wife got them from Barney's....I have been wearing them and they are comfortable, will be wearing them for sheep hunting.

Smartwool-Check out steep and cheap. You can find it cheap like around 30 dollars a piece. It's comfortable and warm and does not get smelly. It does not dry real fast, but then again it also insulates when it is wet. I also use patagonia capoline. I like it a lot also, but it does get smelly after having a piece on for a long time. It drys real fast but is not that warm when it's wet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast