Thread: barrell measuring

Default barrell measuring

I have a couple questions. where do i take a barrel measurement from? How much of that is functional rifling after the chamber? for example my stock mod 70 barrel is stated at 24 inches. How much of the 24 is functional rifling? thx

Barrel length typically includes the chamber and the shank that is threaded into the receiver. If you only measure the exposed portion the barrel your measurement is about an inch short.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by islander338 View Post
    I have a couple questions. where do i take a barrel measurement from? How much of that is functional rifling after the chamber? for example my stock mod 70 barrel is stated at 24 inches. How much of the 24 is functional rifling? thx
    The barrel length is measured from the bolt face with the bolt closed to the crown of the barrel.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by islander338 View Post
    Roughly, the stated barrel length minus the COL.

thx everyone