Thread: Planning a moose hunt.

Question Planning a moose hunt.

Hi I'm new to the forums and from MT. I am planning a moose hunt in 2011. Some options are jet boat up the yukon to Kandik river, Charley river or Nation river. Or fly in float out, or atv in and hunt. Any help would be awesome or willing to help you plan elk hunt in MT in trade.
    Thanks
    Rich

Sent you a PM

Default Little Open Ended

I don't know if it will help or not but you might want to break down what your options are by priority and what equipment you will have available for your hunt, how many people in your party, have you accomplished a similar hunt before, what are you willing to spend etc...

Some places and times offer different options that might help some make decent suggestions.

I am also sure some of us will chime in about a couple of hunt planner options such as Mike Strahan who runs this site as well as Larry B. Most of the time you can contact them and they will assist with questions FVR Direct.

Mike has an excellent book concerning hunt planning / float hunting and is well worth the read and would provide more then enough data to get you going concerning transportation cost, food and gear.

Provide some specifics and I am sure the data will flow i.e. ten day hunt, 3 people, after the 15th of Sept or pre-rut.

A good first option is to contact the ADF&G and get Harvest data for the areas you mentioned as well as what options are open to Non-Res hunters for those game management units. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

There is also Native Lands in the areas mentioned as well as BLM land.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default Start with

Getting Mike's book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers". You can get it from the book store on this site. It is thee most comprehensive book you could find and will answer most if not all you questions.

Default Ram Aviation

Out of Kotzebue. Hurry, non-resident app period ends Dec. 1st. Call them they will help.
    Louie

Start with a sight search here. Start with “planning a moose hunt and then narrow it to you location and method of transportation. You are not the first one to ask this question and there is A LOT of info posted here if you dig a little.

I also recommend Mike’s book. I have one and refer to it often. Good luck.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Default Keep the reply's coming

Hey, Thanks to all that have responded to my post. A little about myself, I was born in MT and have hunted all my life. I prefer to bow hunt, still enjoy rifle hunting also. I have skill in white water kayaking, Some winter survival skills and tons of medical background. My plan is to moose hunt in sept 2011, Right now i have one forsure hunting partner and 2 maybes. I plan on driving to AK for the hunt. I have plenty of time and planning on hunting for 3-4 weeks, I have jet boats, rafts, canoes, and atv's, so my options are pretty open, I'd like to keep the cost down, so a guided hunt is not a option. Plane trips may be feesable, guessing with a total of 4 guys that would be pricey with multiple trips, but still open for suggestions. I have traveled to AK twice already to hunt Caribou along the haul road with my bow and was successfull with 2 nice bulls. Any of the hunters just want to get a legal bull of 50 inches with bow or rifle. I am very thankfull to all the responses i have received already. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thanks again.
    Rich

Just got the book for Christmas myself in hopes on planning a float hunt for 2011.

Default Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by elk aholic View Post
    Hey, Thanks to all that have responded to my post. A little about myself, I was born in MT and have hunted all my life. I prefer to bow hunt, still enjoy rifle hunting also. I have skill in white water kayaking, Some winter survival skills and tons of medical background. My plan is to moose hunt in sept 2011, Right now i have one forsure hunting partner and 2 maybes. I plan on driving to AK for the hunt. I have plenty of time and planning on hunting for 3-4 weeks, I have jet boats, rafts, canoes, and atv's, so my options are pretty open, I'd like to keep the cost down, so a guided hunt is not a option. Plane trips may be feesable, guessing with a total of 4 guys that would be pricey with multiple trips, but still open for suggestions. I have traveled to AK twice already to hunt Caribou along the haul road with my bow and was successfull with 2 nice bulls. Any of the hunters just want to get a legal bull of 50 inches with bow or rifle. I am very thankfull to all the responses i have received already. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thanks again.
    Rich
    You can get away with 3 or 4 hunters hunting Caribou, but good luck doing the same for moose, Stay away from the large groups, the chances of 4 hunters taking 4 moose are not good. Fly outs are the way to go but figure it will cost 3K-5K per person to get into any decent place. Anywhere you go by boat or wheeler expect plenty of company, limit your time in the field to less than 2 weeks due to meat spoilage, better schedule back hauls so you dont get busted for want'n waste.

Hay rich did you ask that guy [THAT LIVES IN KANSAS NOW]. Hehe I bet that guy would go to AK for moose.I knoe he is spending newyears in the snow looking for a bobcat. He called 2 in last night but is shooting a 22,for less fur damage.

Charles