Thread: What do you wear when your not moving?

Default What do you wear when your not moving?

When its cold and you are stopped to glass or early in the morning before the sun comes up. I get plenty warm when I am moving, not wet, and I get cold quickly when I'm not moving and heart beat s l o w s way down. What is warm, compact, light, and easy to get on and off?

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    When its cold and you are stopped to glass or early in the morning before the sun comes up. I get plenty warm when I am moving, not wet, and I get cold quickly when I'm not moving and heart beat s l o w s way down. What is warm, compact, light, and easy to get on and off?
    ohhh me...pick me ... pick me....

YOUR BEDSHEETS..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

For backpacking I go with a Montbell Thermawrap, it weighs nearly nothing and if it doesn't cut it then I toss on my rain shell. For a cheaper version look to the Cabelas trans ak insulator jacket.

Default Waterfowler's parka...

I think it was Tony Russ in his bear hunting book that mentioned he favored a waterfowler's parka - in his pack during the hike, then he put it on when he stopped.

A friend found one used in a thrift shop - I've been looking for a deal ever since.

Thermawraps and similar compressible, insulated jackets weigh almost nothing and take up the least bulk. Easy to carry a second (larger size maybe) for extra loft when you need it. And, they might be available in year-end discounts about now!

Good luck.

Default Patagonia

Patagonia DAS parka.
    Fake down so still insulates when wet. Crazy light/warm.
    Best heavy coat I've ever had. Replaced Mtn Hdware jacket....no contest.
    Bonus: Makes an excellent pillow.

Downfall is Patagonia is about the least hunter friendly company anywhere.

Barney's Brooks Range coat and pant! Super warm, very light weight, extremely compactable, more durrable outer fabric than most, and a more generous cut to cover the back when glassing. I really think it's the best thing going. You can leave a lot of other gear at home and save weight.

Brett

I'll second the das parka.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

In the old days we used a "Elephants Foot" Bag and Eddie Bauer, "Expedition" Parka, back when they made good gear, not cheap trendy crap. I have been using that Goose Down parka for 41 years.

In the Winter its the DAS Parka in the Summer/Fall Hooded Micropuff. I thought I would like the Montbell Thermawrap but it is just cut too short in the arms and torso length for me.

DAS parka here too!
    It's a no hassle hunting coat for Alaska....

Thanks guys. I figured I keep an eye open for deals in the off season for things to add to gear collection.

As I was doing some research on your suggestions, I came across this Primaloft poncho. Actually had an idea similar to this run through my head a couple of times. Anyone seen or used this before? Maybe get one made of 4 or 5 oz

I guess it helps if I would add the picture and specs.

Integral Designs
    This 5 ft wide by 7 ft long Primaloft insulated blanket has a 108" light-weight zipper down one side and across bottom which converts it into a sleeping bag. A drawcord allows the top side to be converted into a hood. It can be used as a light-weight quilt to cover 2 people, as a bivy liner, or as a summer bag. A horseshoe shaped zipper opening in the center of blanket allows it to be worn as a poncho while moving or remaining static.
    Length 7ftWidth 5ftFill 3 oz Primaloft SportWeight 28 oz (780g)Packed Size 6"x16"Fits to 6'6"Colours: BlackUnit price: $150.00 USD

Thumbs up

Wiggy's Barren Ground Jkt and Leg Jackets. (insulated chaps)

Taylor

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Wiggy's Barren Ground Jkt and Leg Jackets. (insulated chaps)

Taylor
    barren ground chaps....... hmmmm why does this give me the image of taylor running across the tundra in a puffy down suit with his but cheeks hanging out?

men at work meets mighty whitee
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince -- having that image, you, Sir, have ISSUES!

Haah.

Not down. Lamilite.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Vince -- having that image, you, Sir, have ISSUES!

Haah.

Not down. Lamilite.

Taylor
    Whats the difference between that and SEEING a picture of someone using a custom, handwoven grass seat cover on a bucket
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed