Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kachemak bay seaduck proposal

Default kachemak bay seaduck proposal

the AK. BOG will look at last years proposal again, jan 29-feb 1 at the egan center in Anchorage.. this year it is proposal 52, to reduce the bag limit for seaducks to 2 a day, 4 in possession in Kachemak Bay. we all know this is a backdoor way to put me out of business. there is no shortage of seaducks as the waterfowl biologists have stated and as all my clients can attest to as we are having a banner year. this affects all hunters, as proposals with no biological basis like these have to be stopped, it could be your favorite hunting spot next.
    you can send or fax your comments to:
    BOG Comments
    ADFG Support Section
    po box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    fax:907-465-6094
    comments are due by jan 15.

You beat me to it Bucks. I'll be sure to write them. Too bad I won't be able to make it to Anchorage due to work. Anyway, saw you across the bay today and saw you working with customers. I'll be swinging by Seldovia this week and hopefully chat with you.
    -Ethan

Thumbs up

Just returned from a sea duckhunt out of Seldovia with Buck Brown. I have concerns regarding the proposal 52 reduction of hunting limits on sea ducks in the Katchemak Bay region. What I personally saw was a fantastic duck hunting area with lots ( in the thousands) of sea ducks and divers as well. I would not believe that there is a need for a limit reduction based on what we experienced last week. With no Bilogical merits for the bag reduction it would seem that such a proposal has no basis but then ask yourself how we got here in the first place? I will be at the BOG meeting in Anchorage an encourage any and all hunters that can make the meeting to do so even if you never hunt the bay. Next fight may be on your turf. If you can't make the meeting maybe you can find time to fax your concerns to the BOG as Buck suggests.
    again
    BOG Comments
    ADFG Support Section
    po box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    fax:907-465-6094
    comments are due by jan 15.

I just returned from the hunt with duckdon, and fully agree it was an awesome hunt. We really need to come together on this one. This proposal could be the start of many. What's next, no hunting at the hayflats, no hunting in jim creek. There were thousands of birds down there. We probably passed on 300 birds per day. With no backing from biologists, and the general census of bird hunters down there, it sounds like it was put forward by a bird watcher who can't stand people killing "Thier ducks". I will be sure to put my concerns in to the BOG. Please don't let the anti's have a victory that could be the road to many.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Has any one weighed this by th Homee AC committe for their comments also? valley, Anchorage, and other AC's from areas other hunters live should also comment. get them to oppose the prop as written and get the biologist in the area to give you some information on it as well...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

When are the comments due?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

comments for state wide props are due the 15th? ( will double check that) of jan... I am not sure how this prop made it in. when it was just brought up last spring in Anchorage?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

last spring the BOG decided to delay their final verdict till this coming feb. (jan 29- feb1) the limits stayed the same for this season. comments are due by jan 15. the homer AC was no help at all last year so i havent approached them lately. the Seldovia AC just voted against prop 52 last week.

I just read the entire package. There are alot of whack jobs out there!! The savannah cat one made me laugh. I dont see how the K-Bay sea-duck proposal will pass. Its not even completly filled out?? It appears that an individual or a group has it out for the waterfowl guides that operate in the bay. Hopefully the BOG will see through the smoke and mirrors. As for the birds not being eaten, what proof does the person submitting the proposal have of this? The whole proposal just seems off base IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I just read the entire package. There are alot of whack jobs out there!! The savannah cat one made me laugh. I dont see how the K-Bay sea-duck proposal will pass. Its not even completly filled out?? It appears that an individual or a group has it out for the waterfowl guides that operate in the bay. Hopefully the BOG will see through the smoke and mirrors. As for the birds not being eaten, what proof does the person submitting the proposal have of this? The whole proposal just seems off base IMO.

Careful on that one comment..

last spring when this was heard. the BOG chair.. looked right at the guides and said "REALLY? YOU EAT THEM?" " "i sure would like the recipe you have that makes them taste okay"

the BOG already is under the impression they are shot for sport and not dinner

meet on face book here

i don't recall Buck showing up at any of our meetings....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I lived down there for 2 1/2 years and hunted across the bay frequently. While I wasnt chasing sea ducks, the occasional scoter or goldeneye ended up in the decoys, and never left. Every one of the sea ducks that my partner and I shot was eaten. Was it as good as the teal and mallards we were shooting...no, but edible none the less.

the thing with the seaducks down here is that yes, they appear to be abundant when you have never seen wintering duck populations... people coming here for the first time see what is to them, LOTS of birds.... but ask someone who got here 10 years ago how the numbers compare... fewer than there were.
    now when that person got here 10 years ago... same thing, 10 years before that there were lots more birds.
    i have been here 20 years, and in that time i have seen HUGE decreases in eiders, buffleheads, some scoters, and the distribution of goldeneyes, harlequins and oldsquaw is not near what it was just 10 years ago...

I ate all the birds I shot down there already. I didn't find them to be too bad. You just have to soak them for a while first. I thought the scoters tasted best out of all the species we shot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

hap

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    the thing with the seaducks down here is that yes, they appear to be abundant when you have never seen wintering duck populations... people coming here for the first time see what is to them, LOTS of birds.... but ask someone who got here 10 years ago how the numbers compare... fewer than there were.
    now when that person got here 10 years ago... same thing, 10 years before that there were lots more birds.
    i have been here 20 years, and in that time i have seen HUGE decreases in eiders, buffleheads, some scoters, and the distribution of goldeneyes, harlequins and oldsquaw is not near what it was just 10 years ago...
    Dave
    I am inclined to agree with you. Seems to me the rise in sea otters around Kodiak was timed with the decline of sea ducks. The harlequins especially are down around Kodiak; to my eye maybe 75% down from 20 years ago.

For the palatability concerns I would FAR rather eat a sea duck than a mallard grazing salmon roe.
    art

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Is there any scientific data to prove a HUGE drop off. I grew up hunting the Delaware Bay, and I had never seen rafts of ducks like I had seen in K-Bay when I lived there. Like you dave, when I lived there I was fortunate enough to be on the water most days and was at the end of the spit almost everyday, so I saw ALOT of ducks. I lived in homer about 10 years ago. Also, the proposal doesnt take into account any other factors that could be possibly affecting sea-ducks in K-Bay. Some things that come to mind are affects that could make the birds move elsewhere like increased boat traffic or a diminished food source. Are some species haveing issues rearing young becasue of predators like foxes or coyotes. (e.g. harlequins prefer nesting near streams not in the open salt water an surrounding rock jettys where they winter).

The point I am trying to make is that if there is a huge drop off in K-bay, its not just a K-Bay issue, its a statewide issue. In order to properly evaluate such an issue, a bird count or some kind of study would need to be complteted and ADF&G and the USFWS could adjust the take of sea ducks accordingly. I also still believe that this proposal is being pushed by an anti-hunting group, however, that is strictly opinion, and not fact.

I just faxed over my letter explaining why I oppose the change to the bag limit.

I'm very disappointed how poorly written the proposal is. The writer is trying to limit sea duck hunting for reasons not disclosed in their "proposal".

Erich

The proposal is a joke! It is just some upset bird watchers and there friends that live in the area, names not mentioned because it shouldn't matter. I just hope that the board sees the B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    The proposal is a joke! It is just some upset bird watchers and there friends that live in the area, names not mentioned because it shouldn't matter. I just hope that the board sees the B.S.
    Don't "hope", send your comments!!

Erich

last year when this proposal came by our AC we thought it was so poorly worded as to be incomprehensible.... we didn't see how it could even be considered as written.
    nobody came to the meeting to testify one way or the other, btw.
    the BOG, as is their wont, rewrote it and amended it to be FAR more restrictive than was requested... as i recall, the prop asks for a consideration of the perceived issue of sea-duck population reductions, not for any specific bag limit reduction. that was entirely the work of the BOG.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast