Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Power Swarovski

Default Which Power Swarovski

Hey All,
    Looking to pick up Swarovski's 8.5 x 42 or 10 x 42 ELs. Any preference on which one would be a better choice. They would be used for all kinds of hunting from bear, moose, sheep, etc. Thanks for the help.

Default Cabella's

My buddy has the Cabella's guide series binos and they are just as nice as the SWARo.
    HALF the price and as good of warranty.
    $$$ is tight now a days
    Just my two cents

Default Binos

It's been my experience that 10-power binos are significantly harder to stabilize than 8 power units. If you're able to rest your elbows on a solid object or if you can sit and use your knees, 10X binos are okay. But at least for me, standing and glassing, especially if you're trying to home in on a single animal to judge horns or antlers, you can induce enough shake to counteract the small advantage that the extra magnification gets you. And if you ever plan on using the glasses on a boat, 10X units are really hard to use.

I had the 10x Swar, my buddy had the 7x and they were a lot easier to look thru. I sold my 10x and bought the 7x, and couldn't be happier. The wider field of view and steadier picture works for me.

You can't go wrong with either! I have the 10x42's EL's and the 10x50's SLC's.

I heard they are coming out with the 10x42's with a built in rangefinder. Can't wait!!!

Also someone mentioned the cabelas EURO binoculars. They are very good for the price. I have compared them in the field in low light conditions and they are very comparable. Not as good but for the price they are worth it! They keep going up in price too so I think the word is out about them. It wasn't long ago you could get them for 200 dollars cheaper......

I really like the extra power of the 10's. Little harder to stabilize at times but you get used to them. If you're going with the Swaro's the 8x should out perform a medium priced 10x.

Haven't looked at the Cabelas Euro's but believe they are make by Meopta.

Buying a new pair of Swaro's sounds like a good Christmas gift for yourself.

Default 10X42 Swaros

Woundedknee, I have and thoroughly enjoy using the 10X42 ELs. I do not have any problems stabilizing them, unless I am trying to get somewhere fast and breathing heavily. I have used both sets of ELs and like the 10s better. It doesn't have quite the FOV that the 8.5s have, but it is plenty good for me. I use them for my all around glass.

Just my 2 pennies for what its worth.

Good luck.

Default have you considered the 8 x 30 version?

I prefer the 8 x 30 slc version. They are lighter and easier to stabilize and handle quite well. This has value for target aquisition when "in hot pursuit" and in tight quarters. It also allows longer glassing with less arm/hand fatigue, and makes them easier to carry all day.The larger objectve of the 8.5 x 42 allows for a bit more light transmission, but the swaros are great at that in general and the magnification is equal (to the 8 x 30). The 10 x 42 have roughly the same light transmission ratio as 8 x 30 and the magnification difference is minimal to me given the downsides listed above. If I need magnification beyond the 8 x then I would be using the spotting scope anyway. They are also less expensive.

I have used the 8 x 30 slc swaros for 12 years (bought them with coyote bounty money) in: Oregon (columbia blacktail, black bear, mule deer, elk) Alaska (moose, caribou, brown bear, sitka blacktail) and North Dakota (whitetail). They have been used in a variety of terrain, weather, and circumstances. I can honestly say that I have never longed for any different, and, in fact, have often been glad of the exact mag/obj that I was using. And I have used family/friends various sizes and brands and always preferred the 8 x 30 swaros. They are my favorite hunting possession (over even my firearms).

Anyway, that's my pitch for the 8 x 30 if you have not considered that combo.........if you already have and are down to the two you are now proposing I would choose the 8.5 x 42 over the 10 x 42 for lighter weight/easier handling and better light transmission. I believe the mag difference is not that valuable, and brings with it some downside. Good luck with your decision.

Used the 8.5x and 10x Swaro EL's on my last two hunting trips. In handing back and forth b/w my pard and myself, a couple things became evident.

Firstly, the 8.5s are noticably more stable. IE: less shake due to wind or breathing is visable.

Secondly, you need to be looking extremely far away for the 10x extra maginfication to become a factor. I am talking, across an entire valley at spotting scope distances.

We both agreed, the 8.5s are more versitile and do not give up much if any capability to the 10s.

Whichever way you go though, the clarity and performance of the ELs cannot be matched.

Default Alaska= 10 power

If your hunting the mountain west in the lower 48, go with 8 power. The 10 power are fine, but you might prefer the lighter weight of the 8 power binocs.

But in Alaska you will consistently be glassing farther away than while hunting or guiding in the lower 48. In Alaska, go with the 10 power binoculars.

In Alaska, nearly every guide- usually more than 9 out of 10- in every guide camp will be using the 10 power glassses.

Dennis

i have the cabela's euro 10x42 and i can see game with my 10x that my clients can't with their 8x...i cringe to think how many bears i'd have missed if i was using 8x. thats all i need to say.
    but hey, if you never see it...maybe the next guy with his 10x will...
    as far as being stable, just get used to using them and they'll be fine. there binoculars, not a freakin' 50 bmg with no bipod.

all that being said, i'd go with the 10x32 EL's...lighter, shorter and larger field of view. and now some will say "light transmission" if i have to use binos to see it, its too far to go after in low light anyway. and with the glass they have nowdays, you'd be hard pressed to see THAT much difference between a 32 and 42.
    the cabela euros are nice though....but if you just wanna blow money, the swaros are super.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i have the cabela's euro 10x42 and i can see game with my 10x that my clients can't with their 8x...i cringe to think how many bears i'd have missed if i was using 8x. thats all i need to say.
    but hey, if you never see it...maybe the next guy with his 10x will...
    as far as being stable, just get used to using them and they'll be fine. there binoculars, not a freakin' 50 bmg with no bipod.

all that being said, i'd go with the 10x32 EL's...lighter, shorter and larger field of view. and now some will say "light transmission" if i have to use binos to see it, its too far to go after in low light anyway. and with the glass they have nowdays, you'd be hard pressed to see THAT much difference between a 32 and 42.
    the cabela euros are nice though....but if you just wanna blow money, the swaros are super.
    I've owned both 8X and 10X swaro glass. I prefer the 10X glass. While wearing a loaded backpack I can maybe freehand glass for about a minute before I get shaking too much to really look very effectively. After that I better be sitting down or atleast take my pack off regardless of the 8X or 10X. I actually sold my 8X Swaros to my bro and picked up some 10Xs I like them a lot and don't notice an extra shake compared to my 8X and I have spent a lot of time looking through both. Granted both my Swaro binos were in the SLC model so maybe the lighterweight ELs may have a bigger play I don't know, but if it turns out you don't like the ELs let me know and I'll trade ya straight up.

I just feel the 10X gives me a little better detail when glassing further away when compared to the smaller glass. Being able to pick up the flash of an antler through the brush at 2 miles away I could repeatedly see beyond a doubt it was antler flash and with the 8Xs I couldn't honestly tell if it was antler or just the yellow leaves flashing in the breeze.

I got a chance to look briefly through the cabelas euros last month and liked what I saw. For the price they are great bino. Too bad their owner kept chucking his gear off the mountain to tumble down in his pack in hopes of the gear breaking so he can justify new stuff.

I hunt out of a boat most of the time and I have had great performance from my Swarovski 10X42's. The good thing in the boat is that you can always rest your elbows on something if the boat is moving. I woudn't want any less magnification if I was trying to count brow tines or pick out a spike at any distance. Haven't tried the others but after using these I wouldn't settle for less - The only problem I have with them is taking them away from my wife and her bird watching, she really needs her own.

I have a set of 10x42 wind river built to leupold specs. I am very happy with the compact size and the ability to see into the tree's several hundred yards away. I will never own another pair of 8x
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default 10x42's

I have enjoyed owning a pair of 10x42S Swarovski's for more than 15 years and would not trade them for 8's for sure. I have had several sizes over the years and the 10's seem to be the most versatile and useful for me. Have hunted just about everything except sheep and goats from New Mexico to Northern Canada and can't say there was anytime I would fault them for being too powerful, or too heavy etc etc....
    I dropped them and broke the strap "ear" a couple years ago and factory fixed for free - did some upgrades for free and put in new better lenses for a small fee. I could not be happier with them. Price is hard to swallow for a middle class wage earner but its one of the few hunting gadgets that I have bought and not needed, or wanted, something different in a year or so... Guns are a different story!
    Good Luck on your decision !

Default While I don't have Swarov's

I do have a pair of 10x50 Pentax DCF SP's. I would surely go with the 10 power. I see things with mine that other don't with the 8.

I have the 10x42 SLC and I love them. I agree with what the other are saying about just that little bit more magnification being helpful with spotting game. I'm almost always sitting when I'm glassing for any amount of time so shaking is not a problem. I got them at dealer cost through a friend of a friend who was a dealer back when Swaro allowed little guys to be dealers. I've had one of the tubes fog on me and was less than impressed with the customer service when I sent them in. They fixed them for free but took their sweeeet time and act bugged when I called to check on them.

I'd seriously consider the Cabelas Euro's if I was buying now.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    "... if i have to use binos to see it, its too far to go after in low light anyway...."
    Guess I've always been "lucky" in that all the areas I've hunted have had what they call a "next day". Too late one day - we go the next.
    10x42s well worth the extra size for the extra glassing ability.
    Joe (Ak)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Guess I've always been "lucky" in that all the areas I've hunted have had what they call a "next day". Too late one day - we go the next.
    10x42s well worth the extra size for the extra glassing ability.
    Joe (Ak)
    i cup my fingers around my eyes... and let them find me.... sometimes i have to go to sleep for a few moments even..........works every time so far.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

dang joe you are lucky, i've got areas where sometimes the animals don't stay put overnight for me...i've gotta work on that i guess!

someone throws their gear off mountains trying to break it so they can justify new gear...wow what a great idea <note to self>...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast