Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliber's

Default Caliber's

what calibers are you all using when you bait? I shot mine with my 338wm and it seems like its a little over kill for blackies especially at 40 yards.

Ya but if a browny came to visit while you were skinning out the blacky the 338 might feel small

I would feel comfortable from a stand using my .308 and would even have my daughter use her 7mm-08. I agree a .338 is overfill from a stand for bb.

Default Bow

I only use a bow. They are easy to kill anyways. A good broadhead in the lungs and they usually only run 30 yards. I might have the .44 mag in the pack or the .45 auto. I haven't taken anything larger with me in years and sometimes don't take anything but the bow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A guy I know 8 year old son took a nice 6 footer with a 22-250, I think I'm getting my 9 year old daughter a 243. I hit 3 of mine with a 338 win mag and 2 was dead before they hit the ground and one crawled 8 feet. These days I use my 7mm for everything but brown bear.

Terry

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

two of my kids have bears with .243 and through and through shots. dead in 10 foot.. black bears are thin skinned and small boned. when i have hit them with the .338 or the 300 i tend to blow chunks off the other side that need not be ... good thing my taxidermist knew how to sew......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have hit them with the .338 or the 300 i tend to blow chunks off the other side that need not be ... good thing my taxidermist knew how to sew......
    thats why I was asking my bear was 5'5" and has a softball size hole in one side that I would prefer to avoid in the future

Default .458

My good CZ .458 cloverleafs 500 gr. Hornadays at 100 yrds , my best buddy at 1 a.m. sitting in a tree in my part of the Country .

6.5x55 Swede for blackies.

Default 25 wssm

For bait hunting, 25 wssm w/a 44 mag pistol (just in case). I've been wanting to try a 7 mauser though. May use that this year.

v/r

salcha star road

Default bear medicine

I load 160gr. Speer mag tip @ medium velocity for my 7mm-08 to hunt over bait.

Default Old School..

The Ol' .30-30 hasen't let me down yet within the 50 yard mark off the baits, but did have about a 8ft Brownie camp out below me for about 2 hours and that really made me feel a little under guned IF I was put into a really bad situation on the ground.

at what point of an animal's death is it a overkill?

Default The point that it becomes overkill...

...is when there's nothing left to eat because of the damage you've done to the carcass.

salcha star road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner378 View Post
    at what point of an animal's death is it a overkill?
    I've never heard of such a creature, overkill that is.

We took our bears with .300 wsm's and .44's as back-up's. This spring I'll take my bow, the .300 wsm and maybe the Muzzle loader. I'd like to take three bears using each one.

I'm thinking AR-15/M4 this next go around. The barrel is twisted for heavies so I think I'll be in good shape.

Default big guns...little guns

I generally favor big guns, just because I do.
    But my good friend routinely takes out his 10 and 11 year old grandchildren with a chopped-down .243. Any black bear whacked with a double lung shot dies a good death. At first I questioned the wisdom of whacking a bear with the little gun. But after the forth grandkid killed the forth black bear I became a believer. As always, shot placement is everything. Regardless of whether a big brown bear is getting whacked with a big gun or a little black bear is getting whacked with a little gun, I always recommend those broadside double lung shots.

As for being over-gunned shooting black bears with something like a .338, I say blast away. And I still, I mean I always, like those double lunger whack jobs. When a little bear gets dead from a shot placed behind the shoulders you will lose no edible meat. Those .338 225 grain bullits just zip right through the critter. Unless you are shooting at only 40 yards or less, the exit hole will often be surprisingly insignificant. As for the trophy pelt? Consider that the bear has hair four inches thick. Your taxidermist might not even sew it closed, and just close up the hole instead with super-glue. And if there is a larger exit hole from a close range high velosity kill shot...Alaskan black bears patch up easily. I mean, most Alaskan black bears are black. And every taxidermist has a black bear patch pelt or two. When you put your bear up on the wall you will not be able to tell where the patch is at.

But getting back to the original thread question...regardless of the rifle or pistol caliber or arrow/bolt projectile...black bears die an easy death, a good death, if whacked in the correct place.

As always, the best gun to use is the one YOU shoot the best. The next consideration would be if you thought there would be a grizzly problem. I feel confident with my 300 RUM for just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I generally favor big guns, just because I do.
    Me too.

Any black bear whacked with a double lung shot dies a good death.
    I've not met an animal of any species that did not die a good death, very quickly, with a double lung hit. I've known hunters that thought otherwise after what seemed a perfect shot, but the necropsy showed only one perforated lung in the animals that run very far. Two perforated lungs = one very dead animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast