Thread: Gear of the year, or not?

Question Gear of the year, or not?

Lets hear what gear really made a difference and was really impressive !?!? OR, did you have any gear totally fail? im fixing to start gearing up for next year!!!

I can only think of one fail right now. under armour cold gear. was not impressed with it at all. i kept getting cold chills and it didnt seem to dry very quick or manage moisture at all.

i am giving Sitka Coldfront & Nimbus (<--- thanks camofire!) a whirl this year (2010). i know there have been issues with stormfront and stormfront light, but havent heard much on coldfront. besides, sitka has good enough customer service that if i hate it then they will take care of it. my body operates at a relatively warm temp and the impertech is great for keeping my dry from the outside, but it needs pit zips or something when hiking!!! i may take my nimbus or coldfront for sheep instead of the helly. Im also waiting to get my coldfront to see if it will take the place of my 90% or if they will each have their designated places. seeing as the coldfront is supposedly a soft shell, which i know its "technically" not after reading up on it, but it may provide the same warmth/benefits.

I love my Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 and longbow. basically everything about them. i feel that with these two packs, im ready for anything! by far more comfortable than my osprey argon 110 and DEFINITELY handles weight better. granted the 6500 weighs nearly 10lbs starting out, i find it well worth the weight. i even used just the daypack lid thing a couple times climbing up to glass sheep and it worked great.

again, i was impressed with my sitka gear. didnt have any durability issues, but unfortunately was only in the field about 3 weeks total. Loved the Kelvin jacket. the ascents were great again. i actually wore my 90% pants and found they really are beneficial, but i dont wear them unless the temp stays under 40* or so for the day. too hot to hike in if its warm. Honestly, im thinking about actually using the whole sitka system seeing as i have the majority of it. i.e. starting with the core, then traverse, then keep laying up. has anyone here actually worn it like that? haha... i know i really like it, i guess im not hard enough on gear ...

My UA cold gear jacket has been one of the finest peices of outdoor clothing I have ever used. From chilly 20* mornings to hours upon hours of torential down pour this jacket has shined. Absolutely &#37;100 waterproof, warm, lightweight, and perfect when hiking. That's my subjective take.

Big Agnes Emerald Mountain 2 with Vest. Nice tent, liked it a lot when I used it. I doubt it will hold up to any kind of abuse though.

Looking to try out my new monopod shooting stick this year. Primos trigger stick. If you get the chance to try one of these it might be worth it. A very neat concept indeed.

Water_Gremlin:

im referring to the cold gear base layer. they jacket i have no experience with. i have the mock t and bottoms.

Thumbs up oops

i forgot to add the Darn Tough full cushion merino wool boot sock. by far my favorite sock! they kept my feet warm when needed, cool when needed and my feet never got wet and "slippery" with sweat! cant beat their lifetime warranty either!

Really liked the Kennetrec boots I bought. No more Rockies or Danners or anything like them.

Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder and Swarovski STS 65HD from Doug @ Cameraland are amazing.

Money well spent I belive.

Winners:
    Petzl XP2 LED headlamp
    Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero jacket
    Ibex Merino wool thermals

Losers:
    Estwing camper's axe (long version)
    Manzilla gloves
    Nimrod pack system