Thread: Kodiak/Leisnoi

Default Kodiak/Leisnoi

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of the whole land use deal? I just moved here (a few months ago) and wanted to go deer hunting, but that cornfusion put a damper on it...

I am going on a friends boat here soon (I promise to stack them neatly in any pic I take!) Any tips on where to go? North side? South? All the way around!?!?

Back to the Leisnoi thing: It seems anyone I talk to completely ignores the issue. Even MILPOL didn't know what to say about it. They don't buy permits ($120 per year), and continue to hunt there. I stick to Coast Guard land for rabbits and whatnot right now. I want more land to hunt, but I don't want to be the only one buying a permit. Also, what does the permit entail? Hunting? fishing? 4wheelin? camping? Who enforces this? Etc...

Thanks

P.S. any tips on how and where to hunt Ptarmagin!?

call the phone number listed at the airport just to the right of the pay phone or frank bishop, his wife can answer just about all your questions i think they are the ones handling permits or something like that right now.
    shaft peak has ptarmigan all over it.

did i hear you right...you don't want to be the only one with a permit...? LOL as in you don't want to be the only legal person out there...come on man, strap a pair on!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

LOL as in you don't want to be the only legal person out there...come on man, strap a pair on!
    I guess what I said didn't sound right . Basically, being the cheapskate that I am, I don't want to shell out $120 to hunt rabbits if its really not necessary. (I would have to get a lot to make it worthwhile!!)

ya i'd call them and ask, tell them what your doing...private land and corp enforcing their property rights is just part of the game we play, some guys dont' care about being legal and find ways to justify it, others just ignore it all. but for the ones that try to abide by the laws and respect private property, it gets tough.

just about the entire north kodiak road system is privatly owned, there is only one or two access points for the north road system goat area. so legally most of that part of the goat area cannot be hunted. makes it tough on fish and game when they are trying to manage a population that folks can't legaly access.
    Master guide 212

I bought the permits for me and the whole family, and I'm proud of it.

I figure if they can make some money on the land with permits, maybe they won't be too fast to hack it up for other uses. Subdivide it for houses, and see how fast the hunting access goes away!

Frank and Julie are good guys and straight shooters. They'll give straight answers and help any way they can.

been here a few months and your complaining about a $120 Land use permit? Thats probably the cheapest land use permit I've ever heard of for hunting in this state.

I guess you are a cheapskate.

If you look on the web about Kodiak DNR you will find a map. It breaks it down pretty good. Pretty much the whole road system is covered but their is some borough land and CG in there.

been here a few months and your complaining about a $120 Land use permit? Thats probably the cheapest land use permit I've ever heard of for hunting in this state.
    I guess I bought into the whole "Last Frontier" thing... You know, open country as far as the eye can see and all that jazz.. There are a lot more public hunting lands in other states I've been in. Just had to drive further. A bit harsh on the new guy, offended that I don't like to give my money away?

Thanks for the info on the people to call.

Kind of harsh post? I sure have a lot of other uses for $120.00 than giving it to Lesnoi.
    So I guess that I am a cheapskate too.

Trappnguns I gaurantee there was less public land hunting where ever you came from in the lesser 48.The majority of this state is public land.

TrapperJ, the majority of road accessible land on Kodiak is not public land. Very little is public. The native corps. claimed all the land next to the road and everything else is Coast Guard and most of that is closed to hunting (even to coasties).

So where I came from, PA, there was a lot more public hunting lands. PA takes $1.00 from each hunting license sold to procure lands for public hunting, State Game lands. Just about every county has at least one. I happen to grow up right next to one. What was not public land was owned by neighbors who would either leave their property open for all to use or never had a problem letting anyone who asked to hunt on it. So for me it seems strange that ALMOST ALL of the accessible land around me is closed to hunting and people I know at work are members of some corp. but won't/can't get me access unless I give them money. I once called these people friends, not anymore. They can be friends with their greed and money.

I understand that you're disapointed with the access for hunting on the road system on Kodiak.I was just responding to Trappnguns statement about Alaska not having as much public land as other states.

Good luck on your adventures.Theres alot more to this state than what you can drive to from the town of Kodiak.

TrapperJ, please understand that to us, this is the state of Alaska. When you live on a rock stuck in the gulf of alaska, it is like nothing else exist. Don't read this wrong, I love it here, except for the so called native corps that just want my money.

Just venting frustration.

i hear the frustration, but there is quiet a bit of state land accesible from the road system on kodiak and in my opinion its better than the native land! north road system is an awfull place to me, south road system, near pasagshak and olds is much much nicer and has critters in it to go play with.
    you feel like you don't have much public land because you live on an island with two roads that go nowhere...once your off the road...wow the land you can use will blow your mind...ask anyone, hiking 5 miles on that island is like walkin' across five states!

if you lived up near anchorage you'd have piles and piles of public land with about 50 times more people on it doing the same thing you are, and you'd have to drive farther and then you'd have to have something motorized to use it.
    buy the stinkin' permit and just be gratefull you can get away with great access to some great country with GAME ON IT for 120 bucks...shoot thats two tanks of gas or one drive to the denali hwy.

they could be like quizinkie and not even offer a permit...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    I guess I bought into the whole "Last Frontier" thing... You know, open country as far as the eye can see and all that jazz.. There are a lot more public hunting lands in other states I've been in. Just had to drive further. A bit harsh on the new guy, offended that I don't like to give my money away?

Thanks for the info on the people to call.
    IT does exist....but you won't also have a WalMart...Microbrewery...and dating options with a full set of choppers .

And Indeed....when it comes to hunting anything real in AK...120 bucks is chump change.

Lesnoi owns the Olds river valley too. You have to get over the pass to Pasagshak before you escape them.
    It just stinks that areas that I have hunted in the past are now off limits to me because of my heritage. If you are any kind of native you can hunt on Lesnoi without spending the $120.00. How would it sound if I was in big corp that only allowed white people to hunt on it without a fee?

How would it sound if I was in big corp that only allowed white people to hunt on it without a fee?
    Actually, any non-Leisnoi shareholder has to pay the fee..regardless of color. I had a discussion with another Native corp about allowing other non-shareholder Native Alaskans hunt their land for no fee and they are very aware that this would quickly lead to a court battle. No difference than me owning a big chunk of private property and only allowing certain people to hunt. The land was selected long ago and it is finally being conveyed to the Native Corporations. This has been nearly 30 yrs in the making and we are complaining now because the title to the land has been finally conveyed.

Do I agree with the methods by which they selected land in the 1980's? No. I think there should have been more oversight in regards to whether the land was being selected for traditional use vs. locking up the land (ie:Corps that only selected lands along highways) However, I don't fault the Corps for taking advantage of the system the best they could. Hell, I would have done the same thing. Native Corps that allow us to purchase permits to hunt on their land are the good guys. The ones we need to work on are outfits like Ahtna that don't allow non-shareholders to hunt their land at all for moose, goats, sheep or caribou.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default sultry road?

I was just out at sultry camping (call it that since I didnt see a deer in 4 days)- are you suppose to have a permit to go back in there as well, or even go up the american river? thanks,

Saltery Cove is state land except for one small chunk of University land. The Saltery Cove Rd. has a 100 ft easement. American River is pretty much all Lesnoi property but you can access it from the Saltery Cove Rd right of way in many areas. You can find out more here. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...k/indexmap.htm Kodiak road system is pretty much c-2 and c-3 on the maps I linked.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Lesnoi owns both sides of the trail to the pass then it is state land. The university sold to a private person a few years ago but he is very friendly and works to keep the trail open especially atv's (since he sells them for a living).