Thread: have a question

Question have a question

anyone ever see a 35 rem case necked down to take a 7mm bullet?

No. But then why would you want to?

Default just to see what it would do

i just like to tinker with these things, would like to see what i could get out of it

I'm not home right now to read off the proper title, but you really ought to track down a copy of "Manual of Cartridge Conversions" by Donnelly. That's close, but maybe not 100%. But it's loaded with wildcats, as well as old and metric cartridges with starting loads, and how to make the cases from possible parent cases. Can't say if your idea is in there, but if it's been tried, it probably is.

Long before the 7-08 came along, a friend set the shoulder back for a longer neck and necked down a 300 Savage to .284 and rebarreled a Savage 99 to the round. Only reason he used the 300 rather than the 308 was a 5 gallon bucket of 300 cases he had on hand. Reason enough. And the performance was an eye opener. It turns out to give performance much like the 7-08 even with the smaller case, mostly because you can seat the bullets further out yet stay within OAL guidelines for the Savage 99. I can't remember the specifics right now, but we chronoed it alongside my 99 in 284 Winchester, and it came surprisingly close with a lot less powder and seemingly mild pressures. But the bullets are seated so deeply in 284 round, maybe we shouldn't have been so surprised.

In any case, the reasons for a wildcat don't have to mean anything to anyone but you. Keep us posted about results if you follow through. I'm real proud of my 45-70 necked down to .429 for a "super" 444 Marlin, but that doesn't mean I would ever expect anyone else to build one. Not the point!

Default chuck hawks told me

chuck hawks told me it was a waste of time to try it
    well i kinda look at it this way, its my time so what the heck, gonna give it a try just to see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    chuck hawks told me it was a waste of time to try it
    well i kinda look at it this way, its my time so what the heck, gonna give it a try just to see what happens
    I'd be interested in the results, but with the 7-30 Waters offering the same performance in leveractions and the 7mm-08 available for other actions there seems other viable alternatives. However I agree that the planning and doing it is the fun, so why not give it a go.

In what kind of rifle are you going to chamber this round?

Post rifle

cousin of mine one of the best at building from nothing will handle that for me, only cost for the gun is the barrel and he makes his own barrels and stock, rest is free, was also thinking about a 6.5, just have to see how the 7mm works out

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'd be interested in the results, but with the 7-30 Waters offering the same performance in leveractions and the 7mm-08 available for other actions there seems other viable alternatives. However I agree that the planning and doing it is the fun, so why not give it a go.

In what kind of rifle are you going to chamber this round?

Just because is plenty good enough reason. So, in a strong rifle, deduct about 5% in velocity from a 7mm 08 and that should be close. When you do something similar to something thats already been done you should expect similar results. It should be very effecient in that small of case. I was hoping you had a reason like you had a 5gal bucket of 35rem brass and I could talk you out of some of it. My question is why the 35 Rem vs something with a more common case head size?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default A Truly GREAT Project

There's about 5 grains more case capacity in the 35 Rem. over the 7-30 Waters, so it would probably do a teeny bit better.

The rimless case would be better suited to a Bolt action than the rimmed 7-30, and with the short case, you could throat it out as long as you need to.

Data for the 7-30 would get you started, for loading it.

7mm is the best caliber in the world, with the possible exception of 6.5 .

The PERFECT Switch Barrel Gun.

7mm-35 (7mm Petite ??) (7mm PeeWee ??) (7mm Runt ??) for the Boos,

AND, 35 Rem. for the Bars.

I'm glad you thought of it. You could become famous, because the idea makes more sense than WSMs.

Yup, it shore do.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default gonna use a mauser action

i have a mauser action , from chile, cousin gonna do that work and rebarrel using a shilen barrel to start with, he is saying we can get better than 7mm08 because of being able to seat the bullet different
    yep 7mm is hard to beat, thats what i use for long range shooting contest

Default plenty of brass

have plenty of brass, been shooting a contender in 35 rem for years, as for the reason to chose the 35, not really a reason , was just looking at the case one day and said now i bet i could make a better load with a 7mm and this 35 rem case, so gonna give it a try nothing to lose except the cost of the barrel, time is not even a factor.
    will be using the barnes bullets, they stopped making the 130 grain so will start with the 140 and work my way up to 175 grain just to see what happenes
    how much brass do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just because is plenty good enough reason. So, in a strong rifle, deduct about 5% in velocity from a 7mm 08 and that should be close. When you do something similar to something thats already been done you should expect similar results. It should be very effecient in that small of case. I was hoping you had a reason like you had a 5gal bucket of 35rem brass and I could talk you out of some of it. My question is why the 35 Rem vs something with a more common case head size?

Free? What about the chambering reamer and the custom set of reloading dies?
    Tennessee

Smile makes the dies himself

he makes everything, like i said best i have ever been around, owns a cnc machine shop

i have a mauser action , from chile, cousin gonna do that work and rebarrel using a shilen barrel to start with, he is saying we can get better than 7mm08 because of being able to seat the bullet different
    I am intrigued by the idea, but I would not expect 7mm-08 velocity at any sane pressure. It just doesn't have the capacity. The 35 Remington is a great cartridge, but it will not get closer than 200 fps to the 358 with 200 grain bullets and heavier bullets are slower yet. I'd expect about the same difference with your 7x35 Remington with bullets of equal weight in the same rifle type & barrel length.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

There are TWO mausers from Chile.

1895 Chilean Mauser, (7x57) not so strong. Probably shouldn't be used for 7mm-08 Pressures. The same action as a 93, (Cocks on closing.)

1935 Chilean Mauser (7x547) plenty strong, as it's a 98 type Mauser Action. (Cocks on opening.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Talking i have a short action

i have a savage short action, i may use that, kinda like savage actions,the mauser action has the chilean crest on it, it is nice 1895, made by DMW

eagleclaw
    I just today picked up about 150 35 cases in a trade, so I'm set now. No matter how far out you seat a bullet in a 35 case, it just doesn't have the volume of a 7mm-08 case. So, pressure being equal, the 08 case will hold more powder for more velocity. Now, the real world difference will not be great. 100/150 fps just doesn't make a lot of difference. Sounds like a fun project. good luck!

Default seating

yes i know, just as soon as we get the dies ready, i am gonna send them and couple hundred cases to a guy in california, i have spoken to him and he said he would like to help with this,
    i shoot some of his ammo in my 7x57 using 140 grain barnes, graph is showing 3,050 fps a real deer killer, he uses a type of powder similar to hornady, he loads a lot of ammo for the police swat teams.
    just have to see what he comes up with

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    eagleclaw
    I just today picked up about 150 35 cases in a trade, so I'm set now. No matter how far out you seat a bullet in a 35 case, it just doesn't have the volume of a 7mm-08 case. So, pressure being equal, the 08 case will hold more powder for more velocity. Now, the real world difference will not be great. 100/150 fps just doesn't make a lot of difference. Sounds like a fun project. good luck!