Thread: Most Popular Freshwater Fishing??

Default Most Popular Freshwater Fishing??

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find the most popular road accessible freshwater fishing in Alaska. I am planning a fishing road trip and need a list of Lakes, Rivers, etc.

I am not necessarily looking for the best fishing but the most popular, because I like to meet new people while fishing.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Default If I want to chat....

...to people while fishing I would hit the russian river confluence with the Kenai during peak red numbers......that'll git you plenty of chatting!

Just look at where ADN gives 5 stars in their fishing report, the masses will flock there...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There's an entire book on this subject, so it'll be hard to narrow it down for you. Alaska Roadside Angler, I believe.

Otherwise, just follow the weekly Friday night caravan out of town and turn where they do...lol. At least that's how to find the people. Not always fish.

Thank You Everyone! Great Suggestions so far.

Does anyone know any popular trout or grayling fishing areas?

What about pike and char fishing areas?

This book will have all the info you need:

The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen

Have to agree with Brian on that book, it will have just about everything you need to know. Alot depends on which city you are coming into, Fairbanks areas are completely out of the way compared to Anchorage fishing locations. Anchorage locations are much closer to alot better action, trust me... Another reason I moved here not long ago...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Hmmm you really want to talk and socialize while fishing? I can see that. I get a kick out of talking to tourists while fishing so I'll give you some neat ones.
    Late July (someone correct me if I'm off here on the date) Pinks in Valdez. I went there once and you park right off the road, and fish right there. Crazy amounts of fish, and everyone of all ages catching fish like crazy. RVs everywhere, and everyone in a good mood.
    Montana Creek King fishery on weekends in june/july. Parks Highway, This one is a zoo, with a serious party thing going on. It is pretty serious combat fishing. You have to get there a day ahead to get a spot with every spare inch being used, but when the fish are in it's pretty neat. Lot's of camping a mile or so from the main fishing.
    Eklutna Tailrace on the Old Glen Hwy an hour or so north of anchorage. This is a King/Silver fishery with only a parking lot and no camping. Still very cool (though the kings are a myth so far........stocked, and some being caught....but never by me). Great for silvers though.
    Jims creek is supposedly pretty social, but I've never gone there.

You'll most likely be surprised at how popular any road accessible spot is. If there are fish there, there will be people. Most everyone is polite, and has a great time. I think you'll enjoy your time if you really do get a kick out of fishing and socializing. Russian river campground is not to be missed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerwise View Post
    Does anyone know any popular trout or grayling fishing areas?
    the thing about trout and grayling fishing, is socialzation is better left to the bar because to many people really kills the fishing
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.