Thread: 24 olympic

Default 24 olympic

Hello all

first and foremost thanks again for all the awesome info that I have gleaned from this forum!

Now...I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 1989 24 foot Olympic. Long story short really nice boat. Converted to an outboard. To do this of corse the transom was rebuilt. So my question is, has anyone had any bad experieces with a transom rebuild? Or anything I should look for as for as transom troubles?

Also, anyone know the approxamate weight of this boat? I am trying to decide if my 2005 chevy colorado, 4500 tow cap, truck can tow this guy. Please any and all help appreciated!

Don't think you can pull your 24' with a Chevy Colorado. That is a 5 cylinder, but more importantly is the weight. My buddy has a converted i/o to Honda 225 24' Olympic and he uses a 2008 Durango and that oly pushes the durango around you can feel it.

My Hewes 22' OceanPro nearly maxes out my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500.

Now that it is winter you really need an adequate tow rig. My buddy's f350 with studs was jacknifed by his Hewes Ocean Pro.

I'd say get the boat, and they buy a beater big truck that is only used for towing. I have seen many 90s big block trucks here in SE for $2500 to $6000 good candidates for tow rigs.

If they gelcoated over the repair, there ain't much you can tell about the repair.

Look for cracking in the gelcoat near the repair footprint. A pattern would develop if there's a problem.

Olympic makes a solid, utilitarian boat with a good, safe hull design. Safe doesn't always mean smooth, but they plane at low speed.

Your tow rig sounds overmatched. Dittos on a cheap 3/4 or 1-ton 4x4.

I wouldn't tow it far, fast, or down any big hills.

But believe Olympic made a good hull.

I have the same boat..... 1993 with an outboard but the transom on mine was factory. Towing?? You better have some good brakes. I wouldn't even try it.... I used to tow mine with a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab. IMO the boat owned the truck on the road, I never really felt like I was in control. I made several trips from Soldotna to Homer/Whittier/Seward but ended up buying a 3/4 GMC after two summers of owning the boat.

any chance this boat is in sitka?