Thread: if you kill a brown bear

Question if you kill a brown bear

if you kill a brown bear, what do you do with the meat?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

depends on the bear. the large one i shot last his 4 quaters were turned in to sausage, he had just been fighting and was all amped up plus it was in the rut.. being he was near fish streams thought eh salmon did not apear to be in yet we " tried him first"up in the interior here i have eaten small ones that were down right tasty. with no stream of fish in there diets ever. i always encourage people to try it before leaving it there.. there are pretty good chances it is a LOOONG way from being bad meat. it does have its very own distict flavor... i find seasonings make it better when ground up..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've just had the meat from S.E. bears and they tasted very rank. I've heard early spring bears are less so. I did eat some interior grizz that was OK

i leave it. tried it before, won't do it again.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I leave it in the woods and let nature run its course with it.

Thumbs down ...the other white meat.

...tried well cooked brown bear meat twice when client-hunters wanted to experience everything, and more. I did not prefer it over any other game, other than caribou very much in the rut. Can't explain it, but it aint "the other white meat".
    Sausage works for rutty caribou, so I might try brown /grizz.
    Nah.

Default Great stuff!!

I hunt Browns in the spring, for meat. Fresh outta the den, they are fat and a refreshing change in meat. Hides are great for summer tenting. Meat has lost all "Fishyness"

August is when I like to hunt Black Bears in the mountains, up high where tey are mowing the blue berrys by the pound and by the ton. Their guts will be packed with little more than berrys and branches. Puts a great taste on the meat I find the meat tender, Fat and better than Caribou, it is that good.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i've had fall grizz that was super tasty but one bit would last you all day..its like the ultimate jerky, chew it, put it on the bed post, pick itup in the morning and chew all day....flavor was fine though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I know Alaska has laws on wasting meat. What meat has to be packed out, and what don't?

Noe of the grizzly/brown bear meat has to be packed out (unless in a subsistance area). Only the hide and skull are required to be salvaged. (Page 27 of this year's reg book) I took a fall interior grizzly that was very much a berry bear, no salmon anywhere close. We took the backstrap to try and it was great, even my 16 year old daughter loved it.

Default Doesn't adrenelen play a part

I was always told that , if you dorp an aminal in it's tracks , the meat has not been filled with adrenelen . but if the animal runs after being hit, for any distance the adrenelen is driven into all the tissues, changing the charictor of the meat. Can any one confirm this with their own bear kills?

In 2007 I shot a spring arctic grizzly and kept the backstraps and a few large chunks of the hind quarter. I kicked myself for not keeping more. I didn't try the brown bear I shot in 2008, but the fall 2009 fall grizzly I shot up north, I kept all the meat and had it turned into spicy hot links. Man they are good!