Thread: Older Saws

Default Older Saws

Hello,

Went out today with a couple friends. One has some fine older saws that he rebuilt. The light was good so I went along. Neat old machines. The whiz of a bar and blue smoke are sounds and smells we do not experience any more here in Southeast. We have some wonderful trinket shops and a bistro though.

Bruce

More Here
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Man!! Those are some great looking saws!! Great pics!! Way to capture a little bit of the old days. That was real work there!!

Very cool Bruce.

Love the old saws.

I think the boys on POW might disagree with your thoughts that their not in use anymore in SE Alaska.

Default Awesome!

That was quite a way of life. Does Porky Bikar still walk the earth?

Not sure when Porky passed on, but his legacy remains.

BTW, I like the first picture the best.

Good color and focus.

Yes,

Sadly Porky is no longer with us. His wife is doing well and Porky's shop is run by his son Brian. Porky was quite a card and did a fine job with smoked salmon. He was great entertainment at the annual logging show for years with his saw.

I often wonder if Sitka is a healthier community now or back when the boys did this for April Fools. Hehe.

We have become an environmentalist haven and playground. Most high school kids today have never operated a saw. Last year's senior class was not alive when Sitka was a mill town. There were plenty of families where there was only one wage earner and the spouse could spend the time needed with kids and family. Gone and replaced with 'value added' trinket shops with 30 hour work weeks, poor wages and no benefits.

I am not radical enough to suggest there are not valid arguments on both sides. The pendulum has swung too far the other way in my opinion. Will not consider second growth a viable option as a biomass fuel? Hydroelectric power is not considered a renewable resource? I would have liked to hear Porky's insight into this.

Mr. Moderator please excuse my politics and priorities creeping in here. Move it or delete it if you see fit. Had a ball running and photographing some old saws the other day. Was neat to hear Porky's name brought up again. That and the current stalemate with the environmental community here in Southeast got me on my soapbox. Sorry. Thanks for the nice comments on the photos. I had a blast taking them.

Bruce
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Default I watched the helicopter...

Quote Originally Posted by olga1913 View Post
    Yes,

Sadly Porky is no longer with us. His wife is doing well and Porky's shop is run by his son Brian. Porky was quite a card and did a fine job with smoked salmon. He was great entertainment at the annual logging show for years with his saw.

I often wonder if Sitka is a healthier community now or back when the boys did this for April Fools. Hehe.

We have become an environmentalist haven and playground. Most high school kids today have never operated a saw. Last year's senior class was not alive when Sitka was a mill town. There were plenty of families where there was only one wage earner and the spouse could spend the time needed with kids and family. Gone and replaced with 'value added' trinket shops with 30 hour work weeks, poor wages and no benefits.

I am not radical enough to suggest there are not valid arguments on both sides. The pendulum has swung too far the other way in my opinion. Will not consider second growth a viable option as a biomass fuel? Hydroelectric power is not considered a renewable resource? I would have liked to hear Porky's insight into this.

Mr. Moderator please excuse my politics and priorities creeping in here. Move it or delete it if you see fit. Had a ball running and photographing some old saws the other day. Was neat to hear Porky's name brought up again. That and the current stalemate with the environmental community here in Southeast got me on my soapbox. Sorry. Thanks for the nice comments on the photos. I had a blast taking them.

Bruce
    ... with the sling loads go by from my house by Sandy Beach on that April Fools Day. I never made the connection, and it truly seemed that Edgecumbe was erupting!
    I think I would greatly miss the Sitka I knew in the 70s. But then things are changing all over Alaska.
    It is good to see that your friend has working saws, not just museum pieces.