Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1886-1993 tundras.....anybody own one before?

Default 1886-1993 tundras.....anybody own one before?

First....I'd like to say thanks Rick P for the trade we made for your old tundra. If you have any info on this ol girl.....do feel free to chime in here......need to make sure this sled is in perfect condition before my son gets up here.

So Rick and I did a trade and I now have a great lil project on my hands. So far I've put a better cowling on her, wire brushed all of the old paint of her, cleaned the bare frame with MEK, and repainted her with black epoxy paint(and the skis too). The skis have some wide ski-skins....nice bonus. I also hammered out a couple minor dents before she got new paint. The track and all the suspension is in SUPERB condition! In fact......I believe that everything under there is new to include the camoplast track where ALL the metal clips are there and it looks fresh out a factory. I went ahead and screwed about 60 ATV studs into the track where there is a flat circular spot on each paddle....it almost looked like it was made for an atv stud.....that's how perfect it turned out.

So my next project is finding a good place to get tundra parts. The wiring that goes to the headlight is damaged due to touching the exaust, and according to Rick.......the coil that runs the lights has to be replaced. Also......Is there an actual plate where I can block off the hole where the oil pump is? I want to get rid of that oil injector tank and just run mix......is this a bad idea? The reason I ask......is because if that injector goes out again...no oil. You wouldnt have this problem if you some how remove this junk and just run mix! If anybody has some knowlege on this wonderful little sled.....please do share! I also need new runners...any place to get them in anchorage or will i have to order? AK mining n diving has no parts for a sled of this age....they stop at 96.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    First....I'd like to say thanks Rick P for the trade we made for your old tundra. If you have any info on this ol girl.....do feel free to chime in here......need to make sure this sled is in perfect condition before my son gets up here.

So Rick and I did a trade and I now have a great lil project on my hands. So far I've put a better cowling on her, wire brushed all of the old paint of her, cleaned the bare frame with MEK, and repainted her with black epoxy paint(and the skis too). The skis have some wide ski-skins....nice bonus. I also hammered out a couple minor dents before she got new paint. The track and all the suspension is in SUPERB condition! In fact......I believe that everything under there is new to include the camoplast track where ALL the metal clips are there and it looks fresh out a factory. I went ahead and screwed about 60 ATV studs into the track where there is a flat circular spot on each paddle....it almost looked like it was made for an atv stud.....that's how perfect it turned out.

So my next project is finding a good place to get tundra parts. The wiring that goes to the headlight is damaged due to touching the exaust, and according to Rick.......the coil that runs the lights has to be replaced. Also......Is there an actual plate where I can block off the hole where the oil pump is? I want to get rid of that oil injector tank and just run mix......is this a bad idea? The reason I ask......is because if that injector goes out again...no oil. You wouldnt have this problem if you some how remove this junk and just run mix! If anybody has some knowlege on this wonderful little sled.....please do share! I also need new runners...any place to get them in anchorage or will i have to order? AK mining n diving has no parts for a sled of this age....they stop at 96.
    the answer is YES.. you can.build new harness. you MAY Not have to change the coil... as i did hundreds and never had to.. the lighting coil is part of the stator.. and your going to a shop for that... ( i could but won't talk the avererage guy through one)oil not an issue. lots of kits out there.. you will prolly go on line and order.. if Ak mining says no... your pretty screwed in AK> for doo parts. old Doo parts are hard to come by and you will have down time to get it apart and look and look and look.. before you assemble.. there is a used shop up here too i can look at for you if you get me a list...
    what is the deal on the year? that is a range? if you dont know read me the ser# of the right side of tunnel as yousit on it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mainer- its my understanding that Ski Doo makes a kit/ plate for removing the Tundra oil injector entirely and it was a very common mod for sleds in that age range. If you can't find one on the shelf I'm sure somebody has a dead one laying around with just the part you're looking for.

I'd check over at "Doo Talk" (or something like that). Lots of parts suppliers sponsor over there as well.

Glad the trader has worked out well for you. The year I was given for the machine is 1988 and the coil is my best guess.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Mainer
    My 2007 is the same engine. I would believe that most of the Tundra II machines are the same. If you need help try the place near mile 49 Parks HWY or John at 90's and older. Both are very sharp. Don't forget dootalk.

I sold my 97. It was pretty sweet.

Congrats. Get it running sweet for a run to LL in Feb-May.

Mike

Thanks gents, this plate you speak of hodgeman....would u have a phone number to a guy who would know where i can get this? also.....vince thanks for ur info, I've brought many a vintage sled back to life from the dead, the wiring and the lighting coil shouldnt be too big of a deal. gotta have some new runners too and as Rick pointed out.....she is in fact an "88". This is my son's Christmas present so I have to hit this project with full steam.

Ah, yes, those 1886 models, back when they had real horses for the horsepower!

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php +1 to here lots good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php +1 to here lots good stuff

WOW! these "dootalk" folks are borderline obsessed with ol tundras. I guess years are 86-92 for my son's model. They had shown an old catalogue of the tundra....almost have this one looking brand new like that one. The cowling that I bought had some crude mesh screen screwed to the OUTSIDE of the cowling with woodscrews!? I'm woking my majic with my tin snips and creating custom fit/custom bent screens as we speak that will go in the inside of the cowling, they too will be epoxied black. Tightened and adjusted up the steering.....and after reading what these "doo talk" folks have to say.....will be getting some factory original decals. Man.....gotta love the ol tundras........

Default Tundras? Schmundras!

WOW! these "dootalk" folks are borderline obsessed with ol tundras. I guess years are 86-92 for my son's model. They had shown an old catalogue of the tundra....almost have this one looking brand new like that one. The cowling that I bought had some crude mesh screen screwed to the OUTSIDE of the cowling with woodscrews!? I'm woking my majic with my tin snips and creating custom fit/custom bent screens as we speak that will go in the inside of the cowling, they too will be epoxied black. Tightened and adjusted up the steering.....and after reading what these "doo talk" folks have to say.....will be getting some factory original decals. Man.....gotta love the ol tundras........
    Yammie Bravo LTs all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yammie Bravo LTs all the way!

Yes....in fact I like those too....prob. even more so than a tundra. My grandfather had one and I do recall that motor being quite a bit more "snappier" than the tundra 250. I will someday pick up a Bravo too....as every Alaskan should have some mechanical experience with two of the most sought after trapping sleds made. The bravo is also very simple and light-weight and maybe even slightly more reliable too. I've seen a few Bravos for sale on craigs.....was just never around to check em out. It will be interesting to have two of them side by side for an all out comparison and be able to post my findings on this forum. Sayak......you should watch the documentary called "The Arctic Son". It's about a father/son reunion up in Old Crow on the porcupine river. The son was running what appeared to be a 94 tundra and the father....a Bravo. The father hadn't any mechanical trouble but the son had his fair share.

Default Doo

Oh, they are way past obsessed,Look up some threads by Labador Boy Or Tundradan. They tear these things down {there are some photo,s of} to nothing and start ground up making there impovements along the way Good read on there. I get the Idea that some of them don,t drive cars, or trucks in the winter and the Snowgo,s are there main transportion.Ive read where they put 8-10k a yr, on some of those sled,s Ton,s of info there for sure.Also some know more, than are dealer,s up here.Bravo, remain pretty much the same were the tundra gets a new face lift after so many yr,s. I have ran both Just sold a bravo, had since 92 we called it the skunk, for a reason friend mine has one that won,t quit.Never liked the gas tank in there with the engine and only 4gal gas didn,t get far before had to filler up again,was a pain, also it used to use alot of oil.I would give the edge to the Doo, The one with 300,engine, pogo front end, Elc Reverse. Still looked like a snowmachine, Not a motocross bug,That one was the best they ever made.

Go see the guy at PSS for parts. Mile 49 or so Parks HWY.

I thought that I had a manual for you, but I think I gave it to the guy that bought my 97. I may have a source. Will check Thursday.

Mike

Default Lucky Boy for Christmas

...This is my son's Christmas present so I have to hit this project with full steam.
    Great goin' there Dad.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Mainer your gonna have to talk to Kingfisherktn.. for that 1886 model... he may have been young enough for one of those back then...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    ... The one with 300,engine, pogo front end, Elc Reverse. Still looked like a snowmachine, Not a motocross bug,That one was the best they ever made.
    ... some of these modern machines do look like bugs, gotta admit. I suppose they ride good, but they just don't look like snowgos to me

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    yeah....it's the older tundras......i had to poke fun a lil i mean geeze.....it looks like an orange tug-boat with a track.

My grandfather had one and I do recall that motor being quite a bit more "snappier" than the tundra 250.

Unfortunately, your recollection is mistaken Mainer...the Tundra has the Bravo whipped by quite a bit in the power/speed department...Tundra will outperform the bravo in near any conditions...I love my bravo for its simplicity and reliability...I love my tundra for what its capable of...both great machines, I just work on the tundras alot more...

Default performance wise...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Unfortunately, your recollection is mistaken Mainer...the Tundra has the Bravo whipped by quite a bit in the power/speed department...Tundra will outperform the bravo in near any conditions...I love my bravo for its simplicity and reliability...I love my tundra for what its capable of...both great machines, I just work on the tundras alot more...
    ... you might be right. Maintenance wise... well the Bravo would shake its shroud off if not secured with aftermarket fasteners.
    The Bravo short track was an amazing little machine. I hauled tons of wood and caribou with it; traveled long distances with it; handed it off to my son then my wife; it probably ended up with 10 thousand miles on it, but it had no odometer. Finally sold it to a kid who ruined it the first day he owned it

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    ur prob. right......it's been since 89-90 since ive run a bravo.......BUT i do remember that thing was no slouch! It had darn good power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast